Talk

Advanced search

if you have a big bum/hips and a small waist

(19 Posts)
Chaby Mon 29-Dec-14 18:52:35

where do you shop for smart work trousers?

Wigeon Mon 29-Dec-14 18:56:30

It's a complete pain, isn't it. I am about a 12 in the bum/ hips and 8 round the waist. I've found a few in Next. Or try to always get trousers with with a belt. Or I have a nice pair of trousers from Hobbs which I got altered by a dressmaker because they gaped at the waistband by my back, and the cost of then rouses justified the cost of the dressmaker! Although it wasn't that much IIRC.

Wigeon Mon 29-Dec-14 18:57:07

The trousers, not then rouses!

Chaby Tue 30-Dec-14 15:52:54

i think you might be on the right track with alterations as a way forward. will have a look in next too. thanks!

FriedFishAndBread Tue 30-Dec-14 15:59:11

I'm a 12 round my hips and bum and a 8/10 on top. I bought some amazing stretchy jeans from select a couple of weeks ago. I normally like River Island for jeans and new look but I'm in love with these stretchy jeans.

Eastpoint Tue 30-Dec-14 16:03:08

I know it isn't much consolation but since I had 3 kids & hit mid-40s my waist has thickened & it's much less of a problem. I can even buy skirts now without having them taken in.

marne2 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:03:45

I buy trousers from Next ( petite range ), I gave size 10-12 waist and a size 14 bottom and hips, I find a size 12 in next fits ok but I have to wear a belt.

XBoxTesting Tue 30-Dec-14 16:24:28

A good drycleaner who does alterations is your friend.

Storytown Tue 30-Dec-14 16:31:04

I've given up and wear flippy skirts and boots.

StrawberryCheese Tue 30-Dec-14 16:33:34

I bought some work trousers from GAP. They're called 'The perfect trouser'. They're not perfect in my opinion, but it's the closest I've got, they have loops so can be worn with a belt. I'm usually a size 12 for my bum and hips but had to go down a size for these trousers.

I'd like to know how to get a pencil skirt to fit!

divingoffthebalcony Tue 30-Dec-14 16:45:25

I gave up on trousers too. Skirts and dresses looked so much better.

almapudden Tue 30-Dec-14 17:40:42

I have a pair of black high-waisted ones from American Apparel which are okay. I usually wear dresses, though, as I find trying to find trousers that fit incredibly demoralising! Like a previous poster, I am size 8 round the waist and size 12 round the hips; I'm also 5'10" so most high street trousers finish somewhere above my ankle. Oh, and I won't wear polyester! Not making it easy for myself... grin

ToomanyChristmasPresents Tue 30-Dec-14 17:49:43

Learn to sew. Seriously. I now choose patterns that fit my waist and add a 2 inch wedge to the centre back crutch seam- voila! A perfect fit, and I look like I've lost half a stone.

DasherDancerPrancerVixen Tue 30-Dec-14 18:01:04

I have a small waist relative to my hips/bum. Have also given up trying to find smart trousers and for work I tend to wear smart stretch jersey dresses which I buy from Phase Eight, Hobbs etc. There are lots of wrap styles / styles that are tweaked in at the waist around at the moment (see links below) which are great if you have a more defined waist. I wear these dresses with high heels and a blazer jacket and look really smart (at least I think so!). Examples of the kind of stuff I wear:

BOX NAVY-10&refpage=promotions/sale-highlights

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/sale-dresses/francesca-dress/202590050

[[http://www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/sale-dresses/rhia-wrap-dress/202583408]

DasherDancerPrancerVixen Tue 30-Dec-14 18:03:32

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/sale-dresses/rhia-wrap-dress/202583408

Chaby Tue 30-Dec-14 18:05:32

dresses and blazers are what i tend to go with at the moment too.

would also love to find a pencil skirt that fits!

glad it is not just me that struggles anyway...

cremedecacao Wed 31-Dec-14 14:43:27

I find River Island pretty good for trousers and skirts, though I usually need to size down with wide leg trousers and A line skirts and dresses, needing a 6 rather than an 8. FCUK are ok too. H&M and New Look trousers are a complete no-go for me, I find them a very strange fit- hips far too small and waist often too wide.

321zerobaby Wed 31-Dec-14 14:49:42

I don't! Given up on trousers, feel so much slimmer in skirts or dresses.

MissWimpyDimple Thu 01-Jan-15 16:06:42

Nightmare here too. Bum 12-14. Waist 10.
I have had relative luck with Wallis but I too have made alterations. Thankfully I'm handy with the machine so I tend toads darts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now