Talk

Advanced search

Are Phillips sonicare toothbrushes worth the money?

(31 Posts)
lovelychops Mon 29-Dec-14 18:27:08

Just that really. I'd heard good things recently and was thinking of investing. There are a few on offer at the moment, but I keep thinking
' £120 for a toothbrush?! ' am I mad ?!

My teeth are pretty stained from coffee etc over the years and I was hoping to save up for whitening treatment. Would I be better off doing that?

PhoebeMcPeePee Mon 29-Dec-14 18:31:12

Not according to my dentist & sil also a dentist! Both said stick with oral b & save your money grin

MadameLeBean Mon 29-Dec-14 18:32:33

Yes they are worth it!!! Totally different feeling .. Zoomy clean .. Wow smile so pleased with ours

lovelychops Mon 29-Dec-14 18:33:07

Oh no! Thanks for the insider info though!

lovelychops Mon 29-Dec-14 18:33:51

Would you say they justify the price Madame ?

MadameLeBean Mon 29-Dec-14 18:34:49

Yes... We also have the air floss thing

Optimistletoe1 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:35:29

I'd used an electric toothbrush for years, then switched to an OralB sonic one. For the first time ever, the hygienist complimented me on my outstanding brushwork!

MadameLeBean Mon 29-Dec-14 18:36:16

It's the sonic thing that is the edge btw not the brand .. The way it vibrates is superior

Sunna Mon 29-Dec-14 18:36:38

Yes, yes, yes. Used one for 5 years now (recommended by dentist) and my teeth and gums are so much better.

MadameLeBean Mon 29-Dec-14 18:36:49

I think anyway. Haven't tried oral b sonic

TooMuchCantBreathe Mon 29-Dec-14 18:37:22

Try one first. I got one, turns out I can't stand the feeling (sonic, I'm fine with ordinary electric toothbrushes) It genuinely made me feel sick. Apparently no one else in my house can stand it either. It was an expensive lesson.

lovelychops Mon 29-Dec-14 18:37:23

Oo er. I was looking at the Diamond clean one, anyone know if that's any good ?

Mrsmorton Mon 29-Dec-14 18:38:11

I'm a dentist and always recommend Oral B. They perform the best in independent trials.

highriggs Mon 29-Dec-14 18:40:49

It's also the battery in the Philips sonic is so much better than the oral b. I have switched to sonic from oral b and seems to clean a lot better as well

GoodZingWenceslass Mon 29-Dec-14 18:54:02

can someone link Rhod Gilbert's masterpiece of a toothbrush rant?

there's your answer!grin

TarkaTheOtter Mon 29-Dec-14 18:57:16

The motor went in my phillips sonicare out of warranty. I phoned phillips and they just replaced it without a quibble so I would recommend on that basis.

TarkaTheOtter Mon 29-Dec-14 18:57:56

They are often heavily discounted though so don't pay full price.

Thisishowyoudisappear Mon 29-Dec-14 19:16:33

Ask your hygienist. I wanted to get an air floss thing but she said not to bother as my teeth are too close together. I wanted to try that new enamel renewing toothpaste as well and she said just carry on with Sensodyne. So she saved me about £120 which was nice!

guffhohoho Mon 29-Dec-14 21:59:52

I'm using a phillips sonic at the moment, dont like it as much as my old oral b one, doesn't seem to clean nearly as well.

also had to replace my nano waterpik - they've either changed the model entirely or i got 3 duff ones in a row - boots wont order me another replacement so i'm trying out the rechargeable model, and hate it!

mumblesdad Mon 29-Dec-14 22:07:03

I had the diamond one. Cost about £100 and battery went duff after 15 months. Philips not interested so I'm reluctant to advise on one

Marmite27 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:13:11

Yes, I used to work at my dentist, it's the only thing all 4 of them agreed on. I got my first one as a freebie from the rep as I had fixed braces and was crying with pain on her first visit, they were the only electric safe to use with fixed braces at the time. I have since bought 2 more over a 15 year period. Would have been less but I dropped one down the loo, and left the other in an airport toilet.

Lovely clean feeling. No cavities since I've been using them and a scale and polish only every other year.

Floellabenjamin Mon 29-Dec-14 22:24:32

Yes definitely. My SIL is a dentist and recs them. We've had our diamond 18/12 and Philips have covered a few battery probs with no quibbles

bluebump Mon 29-Dec-14 22:27:58

I love mine (not the top model either) but agree, they are always on offer so don't ever pay full price for one.

Greenrememberedhills Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:13

I like my Phillips one but it isn't a top model. I prefer it to the old Oral B.

Artandco Mon 29-Dec-14 23:06:52

We have the diamondcate ones. They are great! And dentist commented on how clean they were

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now