Talk

Advanced search

How do you look polished?

(93 Posts)
OstentatiousBreastfeeder Mon 29-Dec-14 15:18:29

Anyone else struggle with this? It seems that no matter how much effort I make in the morning, by lunch I'm catching my reflection and I look a mess. Hair ratty, skin uneven, somehow a few pounds heavier I'm sure of it sad

I know I need to make more of an effort to buy new clothes but I never seem to have time. When I have new things I always notice how much of a difference it makes, but I never keep it up. I end up looking tatty before I do something about it. That doesn't help.

Is looking 'polished' a skill you can learn, or does it just not happen for some people? Any tips?

Shitshit Mon 29-Dec-14 15:22:53

I always used to wear foundation but I'd nearly always end up looking blotchy/dry/uneven by lunchtime, so I just stick to BB cream now (Rimmel). It does seem to last, weirdly.

How do you normally style your hair?

rollonthesummer Mon 29-Dec-14 15:26:21

Regular trims will stop your hair looking ratty. Condition it well to keep it in good condition.

Take your make up off every night and put a night cream on. I've been using Astral and my skin has improved loads. It smells nice and is dirt cheap, too!

Wear a light foundation and some mascara.

Keen nails short and clean.

Drink loads of water.

Wear a nice scarf or necklace.

Nancy66 Mon 29-Dec-14 15:31:36

perfecting a really good 'up do' is an idea (if your hair isn't too short.)

hair always looks much more chic and 'done' like this.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 29-Dec-14 15:44:47

I think short buffed nails (if polish is too much of a pain) and neutral make up. I don't tend to have much time in the morning so I do spend a little time on skincare in the evening so that I need less makeup. A bit of highlighter is always good on the cheekbones!
Quick tip I've also picked up is to lob on a statement necklace or a nice pair of earrings if it's the right time of day / location.

Santassleighisreversing Mon 29-Dec-14 16:03:47

I never manage 'polished' either.

I have fuzzy wisps of hair that show if it's pulled back but if I straighten it and wear it down the ends look ratty after a short while (even if freshly cut)

I chew the skin around my fingers so no matter what I do to my nails, they look shit.

My clothes never look as fresh and tidy as others either.

I look acceptable when heavily made up and in going out clothes but that's not a look I can pull off during the day. It's a good job I don't have to look respectable for my work.

MissMogwi Mon 29-Dec-14 16:06:47

I start off looking ok but by lunchtime it all goes pear shaped. I don't think office air con/heating helps as it dries out my skin.

I do make sure my nails look good as it makes me feel better and my hair is in good condition. It's the make up that let's me down and my nackered old face grin

Ohbollocksandballs Mon 29-Dec-14 16:10:48

I wouldn't say I look polished as such (think along the lines of scarlet Moffat...) but I always feel better when my nails are done. I have shellac done every few weeks so they don't get chipped etc.

Makeup wise I use primer, and double wear max, the stuff bloody stays on like glue.

DaphneMoonCrane Mon 29-Dec-14 16:11:35

What's your skin/hair type?

The key for me has been getting my skin and hair sorted out. If your skin's good, your make-up will look better and last longer. If your hair's in good condition, the style will look good.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Mon 29-Dec-14 16:12:31

I am by no means polished but since I discovered mineral makeup I feel as if it's much more within my reach. I keep my hair in good condition but most of all I walk with confidence and smile

MrsExtraOrdinary Mon 29-Dec-14 16:13:57

Good quality make up lasts all day. Hands are important so try to stop biting them. Get yourself a good coat covers a multitude of sins, scarves are your friend and make sure shoes are clean/polished. I would also agree with finding a good up do, try dry shampoo and a good brand hairspray.

Nb straighteners don't do everyone justice. I look like ive been out in the rain if I straighten my hair. If I put big Velcro rollers in I look a million dollars though.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Mon 29-Dec-14 16:17:11

I have recently started wearing dresses for work, they are nothing to fancy but I accessorise the plain dresses with colourful cardi's. I think I look much more pulled together than in trousers. I also get my eyebrows done regularly.

Ohbollocksandballs Mon 29-Dec-14 16:17:36

Yy to straightened hair. If I streighten mine flat I look either greasy, or wet.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 29-Dec-14 16:21:56

Posture makes a huge difference, including how you sit as well as stand and walk.

Also ironing your clothes, a lot of people say they don't bother, which is fine, but it definitely helps.

Hairwise - if you are going to wear it down that means you need to keep your neckline uncluttered, especially if your hair falls forward over your shoulders or is generally unruly (like mine). Simple plain necklines, no collars or scarves, no dangly earrings or bulky necklaces, unless your hair is straight and always down your back rather than on your shoulders. Putting your hair up gives you a lot more options in the neck area.

Ditto if you wear glasses you can get a cluttered look if you wear your hair over your face, dangly earrings, big necklaces etc, so simplify everything or switch to contact lenses for maximum freedom.

PetiteBateau Mon 29-Dec-14 16:24:41

I look a complete mess. I loathe clothes shopping as nothing seems to fit well. I clothes shop for my 3 year old daughter so she always has beautiful clothes but I'm a bag lady. Gets me down really

annabanana19 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:27:41

When I leave for work I look ok then by lunchtime my skin is dull. And I look and feel older surrounded by fully made up young students. How do they manage it!?

I like to dress nice for work....well I have to really. Nice earrings, bracelets, polished shoes!

QueenofLouisiana Mon 29-Dec-14 16:36:26

YY to a statement necklace or scarf. Scarves can be cheap and go with lots of plain tops for variation.

Hair cut every 6/8 weeks, I found an "at home" hairdresser so much cheaper that I can now afford a cut and roots more regularly.
Dresses are easier to maintain smartness I feel.

Someone here reminded me about High Beam by Benefit, a few dots of that on cheekbones over BB cream perks my face up loads. Light make up doesn't wear so badly.

JoanHickson Mon 29-Dec-14 16:38:54

Can you please link to a good up do?

VikingLady Mon 29-Dec-14 16:41:23

Clean and polished shoes that are in good condition, clothes free of cat hair, fluff and creases.

I don't do it though!

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 29-Dec-14 16:54:02

I disagree somewhat about the statement necklaces, they are easy to get wrong and cheap ones definitely don't cut it. A simple silver pendant is a lot easier to wear with style. I'm also not a fan of scarves, so often you see them wonky, not tied well, muddled up with hair, caught under shoulder straps of bags, not matching the other clothes and generally looking as though they've been added as an afterthought. I guess a lot of practice is needed to get them right. You do sometimes see them looking amazing, but it is fairly rare.

amigababy Mon 29-Dec-14 17:07:33

I'm not polished either, but trying to improve. Mostly by using what I've already for, eg wearing my contact lenses, using nail polish with top coat, using a primer for the first time, and foundation more often, bb cream on other days.

My work trousers from Monsoon felt like an extravagance but look so much nicer still than M&S etc. they've lasted well. A lesson to apply RI more clothes buying - nowhere near designer but spending a bit more is well worth. My winter coat is a good label, has lasted ages and was �70 from a clothes agency, a good way to upscale on a budget.

amigababy Mon 29-Dec-14 17:11:55

on the downside I twiddle my hair which undoes it and chew my fingers too santassleigh Its a problem! Always carrying hand cream and using it is helping a bit there and having my hair up stops the twiddling though I can look severe.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 29-Dec-14 17:16:13

Good coat and good leather bag.
Nails polished.
Learn some easy up-dos.
Always wear make up
Scarves are good but personally I hate statement jewellery. Only wear proper jewellery, even if just a silver pendant.

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Mon 29-Dec-14 17:17:19

I'm very pale and my skin suffers terribly at this time of year, I'm yet to find a really effective moisturiser. My hair feels lovely and is very healthy, but it just looks drab. I get low-maintenance, just-below the shoulder layered cuts every six months or so, can't afford any more often than that, sadly. Yy for a link to a good up-do please!

I bought a new boots and a coat today and spent a bit more than I usually would, and it's made me realise how frumpy I was looking before. I think my old coat must have been three or four years old blush

These suggestions are great so far, thanks.

newrecruit Mon 29-Dec-14 17:19:28

Can I join in? I always look like a bag of spanners hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now