Talk

Advanced search

Hair experts please - that grey thing again.

(3 Posts)
MyFirstName Mon 29-Dec-14 13:03:39

Is this possible and a good idea please? A stylish look or belurghh.

Have mid length curly bob. Naturally dark brown. Not much nature left though! Am probably 30-40% grey under a lighter brown colour now. Am sick of the re-growth - 10 days in and I have the beginnings of the badger streak. Most solid grey/white is front and parting.

Do not have the guts to just grow out. Do not mind colour appointments every 3/4 months. I understand it may take some time to get there.

Am thinking to go like the pic - give in to my main grey at the front and maybe multi-tone (high/low lights with some grey left) the rest to hide some regrowth a bit longer.

So, can I get "grey" streaks put in the front? Or maybe just colour remover to leave the natural colour?

Then could I gradually increase the amount of natural/grey streaks over time?

(Btw went on the how to go grey gracefully thread and it appears to be more a philosophical debate rather than practical help).

www.howtolookgood.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/simply-be-pic-2-small.jpg

JRsandCoffee Mon 29-Dec-14 14:31:02

Probably not what you want to hear but I gave serious consideration to what you are looking at now. I sought advice from a good colourist, admittedly six years ago, and the advice was basically not to try stripping the colour out, it trashes your hair and does not give a satisfactory result. Things may have moved on from there but that was what I was told at the time. Also the logistics of leaving only one or two bits may be difficult to maintain as you only need regular colourist to be ill or away and someone not acquainted with your barnet may inadvertently cause a crisis.

Anyway, for various reasons I grew it out, first to a very short bob and now roughly a longish bib, it was long when I started. Very glad I did, hair is in great condition and a lot less hassle. I did various things with clips to accentuate the lovely silver bit as I went along and just made a bit more effort make up wise. I do get a lot of positive comments and find that my skin tone looks a lot better with my natural colour, I'm in my early 40s. Hope that helps!

MyFirstName Mon 29-Dec-14 20:22:07

My hairdresser has a Mallen Stripe - which she used to dye into the rest of her hair - recently she has let it turn it's natural white again...through a process of firstly bleaching it, then possibly stripping the colour. So am hoping she may have an idea of how - or if to proceed.

My hair is generally in OK condition now as am using non-bleach based colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now