Talk

Advanced search

These curl secret gadgets?

(35 Posts)
BeHoHoHove Mon 29-Dec-14 00:20:30

I posted this question in someone else's thread but thought I should start one instead.
If I have a straight bob with some layers, will using the gadget make it look wavy like this?

unfortunately can't also give me her face and figure

spookyskeleton Mon 29-Dec-14 04:59:20

I absolutely love mine! I have shoulder length hair with long layers in and I get bouncy curls with mine (they are quite tight at first but drop quite quickly and look better). But, it doesn't do waves like the photo.

orangeplum Mon 29-Dec-14 08:49:50

Must be behind the times! What gadgets are these?

Notgoodwithwords Mon 29-Dec-14 08:54:06

I really want one!! hmm

spookyskeleton Mon 29-Dec-14 09:01:16

If you have ever had your hair curled with straighteners, it is a similar effect.

Don't use mine that often as it makes my hair look quite glam so I save it for special occasions but well worth the money!!

Charitybag Mon 29-Dec-14 09:04:28

I love mine! I have a bob, it's length is between chin and shoulders. I use the curl secret then pin the curls until they cool, this way the curls are still in 24 hours later.

I bought mine using Clubcard points from Tesco Direct.

CatCushion Mon 29-Dec-14 09:07:27

Which gadgets?

I brush my hair wet, twist sections in pairs so that they twist together. Then dry with a diffuser. I have naturally wavy hair and doing this gives me ringlets. DD has straight hair and it makes hers wavy, like the pic (though we both have longer hair).

BeHoHoHove Mon 29-Dec-14 09:33:40

It's this type of thing I mean.

cat I would like to be able to do my hair but I am rubbish at it, I'm hoping that a 'miracle' gadget would sort me out.

queenbrunhilda Mon 29-Dec-14 09:34:27

You can get soft curls by reducing the heat and time and then brushing through. Think they're great bits of kit. Justified mine on the basis no longer need to pay out for the occasional blow dry before special events <whistles guilty...>.

FairyBiker Mon 29-Dec-14 10:09:17

Bugger, they're £120, was hoping for £50 max.

That's alot of money for curly hair, are they really good?

BeHoHoHove Mon 29-Dec-14 10:16:46

Asda have it for £99, still a lot though I'm swithering.
Amazon.com have this one which has brilliant reviews but can't find it in the UK so far.

Posters upthread...which one do you have?

FairyBiker Mon 29-Dec-14 10:22:26

£50 on amazon uk but no reviews which makes me nervous

Alice2014 Mon 29-Dec-14 10:31:11

I bought them and haven't looked back since. I've never been able to straighten my own hair, I don't seem to have enough hands and always look like a right state. This however is one tool that I can use by myself! I absolutely love it and get so many complements.

HellKitty Mon 29-Dec-14 10:40:00

I want one confused

zinnia Mon 29-Dec-14 10:59:49

OP yes it will - that's what my straight, layered bob does (curled, allowed to cool then very carefully running fingers through with a bit of serum). Got my Curl Secret from John Lewis recently for £100 and we're same price in Boots at that point.

zinnia Mon 29-Dec-14 11:01:40

Oh bugger sorry just seen they've gone up again. Get the impression they are fairly regularly reduced though so worth keeping your eye out for a price match?

BeHoHoHove Mon 29-Dec-14 11:08:57

I'm definitely getting one now, thanks!

BeHoHoHove Mon 29-Dec-14 11:15:23

There are some on ebay but I'm worried about fakery. Someone said as long as it is purple it is genuine?

spookyskeleton Mon 29-Dec-14 12:27:16

I also get lots of compliments when I do mine.

I have it on the lowest settings but still get big curls rather than waves but my hair is naturally wavy and does hold curls well.

Thought mine was black but just checked it and it is a dark purple. They also do then in a fushcia pink which I would love but can't justify another £100 wink

KatoPotato Mon 29-Dec-14 12:43:00

Please only buy them from official retailers, there's a list on the babylisss website. There was a segment on fake Britain about ones from eBay, that have no safety features and won't release the hair etc. the real thing is so expensive because it has a microchip in it. The woman on this show had to cut it off her head and was badly burned. She paid £90 for it on eBay so hardly buttons!

southeastastra Mon 29-Dec-14 12:44:52

mine looks like that pic in the op when i do it

ds says he doesn't like it though but i love it, makes me look so different

burnishedsilver Mon 29-Dec-14 13:17:43

I haven't found it good. I think maybe my hair is too long for it. It might be better on a bob. I don't like how its not possible to get any root lift on the curl. I end up with flat roots and ringlets. Not a good look.

southeastastra Mon 29-Dec-14 13:23:19

i think maybe as my hair is fine and layered and shoulder length it works quite well

LaurieFairyCake Mon 29-Dec-14 13:49:41

I bought mine on Qvc ( www.qvcuk.com ) online over a year ago knowing I could send it back if I hated it. I love it and use it a lot - I have long hair and a lot of it and it still only takes me 10 minutes to do the whole head.

If I spend longer on doing smaller sections I can get a very curly effect.

Right, now to explain your picture. What you have pictured is a casual bob with curls - this is achieved by NOT curling the ends so they flick out - this gives a modern and casual look

The curling machine DOESNT do that as the whole length is sucked into the machine meaning it curls all the way to the end- it's lovely but NOT the above.

To achieve the above hairstyle on short hair (chin length/slightly longer) you use a standard cheapy curling wand and only curl the middle section of hair - I also have one of these and honestly it's stupidly easy (but my hair is past shoulders and too long to do it without looking like Worzel Gummidge - so the full curl is better for me)

nooddsocksforme Mon 29-Dec-14 13:57:27

was in boots this am -the actual shop and they were £99. was tempted but have very thick hair and need to know if I would get a ring gentle ringlet type effect and not curls out the was if that makes any sense at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now