Talk

Advanced search

Bra interventionists - best strapless bras?

(11 Posts)
JapaneseMargaret Mon 29-Dec-14 00:03:09

Just looking for some recommendations. It's summer here, and there are lots of lovely tops about that I bypass, as they would clearly look less than good on, with visible bra straps.

I'm in NZ and it's impossible (actually impossible) to get intervention sizing here (in fact, bra sizing here is a total joke, many brands only start at a 10??!). I'll have to order online from the UK, so no worries about brand availability...

TheMightyMing Mon 29-Dec-14 00:12:12

I got the Gossard Ultimate strapless(?) the one which is supposed to be as good as hands holding you in place. I am a size 30e but my boobs have seen better days (I'm 44)- I thought it was very good. I wore it under a sheer shouldered bridesmaid dress.

SorrelForbes Mon 29-Dec-14 08:39:17

The wonder bra ultimate strapless is the best on the market for sheer staying power. It does run a but small so you may want to size up. I take a 30GG but have a 32G in the ultimate and could really have done with a 32GG.

YonicSleighdriver Mon 29-Dec-14 08:41:09

Could you go for a brand with "pretty" straps so it's OK to show them? I have a Freya with lovely floral straps.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 29-Dec-14 08:43:26

Thanks Sorrel. I'm usually a 32D, and would be loathe to go bigger than that in the back. I suspect if I were able to actually go into a shop and try a load of bras on, I'd probably be a slightly different size from that, but because I have to do it all by mail order, this is the best I've landed on.

I'm a tall size 10, and I know size 10s wouldn't usually be a 32.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 29-Dec-14 08:44:58

Thanks Yonic, but the straps inevitably won't go with everything, and if I have to buy a new bra anyway, I think I'd prefer to buy one that would be more versatile. smile

trimflatwhite Mon 29-Dec-14 09:43:00

If you can get to Auckland, Avokado in Newmarket (Avokado.co.nz) has a great range down to a 28 back.

SorrelForbes Mon 29-Dec-14 11:46:21

I'd say go with a 32D/DD then, it's a forgiving bra.

Another vote for the Wonderbra Ultimate Strapless, it's very good

Do you know what your underbust measurement is in inches?

JapaneseMargaret Mon 29-Dec-14 20:50:49

Statistically, I'm a 32, and supposedly something like an F or G cup, but when I ordered a 32F, even with all the scooping in the world, my boobs swam around in an F cup. They're very empty, and reasonably far apart. I tried EEs, and even then the cups were far too big.

That's interesting, Trim. I don't get to Auckland often. Amazing that one shop has seen the light. Naturally, I suspect it will still be far cheaper to order them online from the UK, knowing NZ prices!!

Empty boobs can skew measurements, happens to a lot of us! If you've lost a lot of fullness (probably empty at the top?) then you want to look at balconette/half cup styles which basically don't have much at the top of the cup. On the flip side, Moulded plunge T shirt bra type shapes are exceptionally hard to get a good fit on as even if you fill the bottom of the cup the top will gape away from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now