Talk

Advanced search

Stiff and structured fabrics for a dramatic gamine

(15 Posts)
ItIsntJustAPhase Sun 28-Dec-14 22:01:53

I have been advised (by HOC) to wear stiffer and more structured fabrics as well as tailored clothes.

Since I mostly shop online, I sometimes try searching on fabrics and it is useful.

So far I mostly look for

Flannel
Boiled wool
Tweed
Felt

I wonder if anyone else has ideas? Am a bit at sea.

LakeFlyPie Mon 29-Dec-14 21:30:00

I'm a self diagnosed Dramatic Classic and think I look better in structured fabrics than floaty stuff.
I found a sleeveless black denim dress in the Gap sale today which works quite well. Could you add denim to your list?

RichardParkerTheTiger Mon 29-Dec-14 21:31:00

Jacquard?
Firm leather?

ItIsntJustAPhase Mon 29-Dec-14 22:36:18

Thanks both! I think I will look at brocade, maybe, too?

Corduroy and velvet might both work too, if the clothes aren't drapey. Maybe.

ItIsntJustAPhase Mon 29-Dec-14 22:40:10

I actually have quite a lot of denim now but yes, will add it to the search terms list. And leather is a bit out of my comfort zone but I have seen the odd thing that might work.

Jacquard, hmm.....

RaisingSteam Mon 29-Dec-14 22:59:59

Ponte roma - loads of that about.

ItIsntJustAPhase Mon 29-Dec-14 23:08:14

Taffeta was recommended for me but seemed bonkers. But I can see it now, funny how you sort of grow into the style personality. grin

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 29-Dec-14 23:15:35

Did the consultant not suggest any shops to look at? Maybe somewhere like Cos or Massimo Dutti?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 29-Dec-14 23:18:41

I actually tried to post taffeta earlier but it went missing somehow. Also crisp cotton (shirts etc). It's quite helpful to look at slebs of a similar type. I know, for example, Madonna and Davina McCall are both Dramatic Gamines.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 29-Dec-14 23:39:44

Old MN thread on Dramatic Gamines here - in fact, yours truly was ignored posting on it!

ItIsntJustAPhase Tue 30-Dec-14 18:25:54

Thanks Shotgun and thanks for link. Thanks all.

ItIsntJustAPhase Tue 30-Dec-14 18:26:43

Oh, and yes the consultant did mention a few shops but more a kind of 'try not to buy every thing in Primark' kind of way. grin

ItIsntJustAPhase Tue 30-Dec-14 18:27:13

And ya yyto ponte!

tethersend Tue 30-Dec-14 19:05:14

this dress would fit the bill

ItIsntJustAPhase Tue 30-Dec-14 20:05:41

That is beautiful. And silk! But sharply tailored. Interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now