Talk

Advanced search

Help - warm coat needed

(8 Posts)
mimiasovitch Sun 28-Dec-14 15:16:42

I'm going to New York in a few weeks, and am anticipating it being pretty cold. I'd like to look smart whilst there, so don't want to take my parka. My wool coat isn't super warm, and layers are a pain in the city with all the in and out of places. Anyway, I could go for a down coat - I quite like the Phase 8 Freya in grey, but am a bit unsure as I'm a size 16 and really could do without all the extra bulk. My other choice (so far) is a wool coat from Jaeger, which I'm imagining will be warmer than my old Kaliko one. This line of thought is entirely down to a thread from a few years ago which reasoned that better brands would be warmer.

So, am I deluded and do I need to suck up the extra bulk for warmth, or will a Jaeger coat cure all my ills? If I'm going spending I'd like not to be making a huge mistake.

ToffeeLatteplease Sun 28-Dec-14 16:52:34

I too am a size 16-18 but I have an okish waist that I like not to lose.

I have a lovely belted down coat from m&s, its warm and smart enough. But if you are bigger you definitely need a belt to give you a little definition.
I know what you are saying about layers but they can be pretty awesome. I recently got a trendy mac I recently bought from tx maxx.

I bought this down gillet and this fleece to wear underneath the coat. I am now toasty AND smart in it. Both layers are super thin With the advantage I can alter what I wear depending on the weather (the down gillet does a pac-a-mac trick into a little pocket)

I wouldn't rule out the wool coat or layers if there is a little space underneath.

Paddingtonthebear Sun 28-Dec-14 16:54:38

You will freeze in a wool coat! You need a proper insulated coat.

ToffeeLatteplease Sun 28-Dec-14 17:37:07

Nonsense DD has been perfectly warm out all day in a beautifully smart wool coat (and the right layers) at -10°C. I hate to say it but staying warm really is all about the right layers. Even with down.

mimiasovitch Sun 28-Dec-14 17:47:35

I can certainly do a cardigan on top of a sweater. It's the thermal layers that would be more awkward. It's likely to be around freezing. The real problem will come from the wind. I want the wool coat, but the down one is likely to be warmer I guess. I should get both and try them in the fridge at work!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Dec-14 18:23:11

What about a couple of base layers like Uniqlo Heatech?

My DD is going ski-ing in Feb, I've been stocking up on some layers for her (take up no room in your luggage, not bulky )

And she has a down filled coat, says it's toasty.

Try North Face (lots of outlet stores around)
How glam do you want?

mimiasovitch Sun 28-Dec-14 20:30:37

I wear skirts and dresses all the time, so casual style coats don't always do it for me. The coat I really coveted was this, but it seems to have sold out everywhere in the last few days. I love the shape of this, but not the fur, and it definitely wouldn't be warm. I think I'm going to be sensible and get a down coat. No doubt I'll be very glad of it, and I'm sure it'll get plenty of wear. My very dull and practical parka gets far more wear than I would like, mainly because its always bloody raining.

rosyrose79 Mon 29-Dec-14 01:32:41

Maybe something like the Jack Wolfskin Icegaurd? They are insulated and longer length too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now