Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teeth

(18 Posts)
MissDuke Sun 28-Dec-14 13:04:12

Reading threads on here about 'new year makeovers' has got me thinking, I would love to sort out my teeth for once and for all! They are dreadfully stained, really horrible :-( Worse than any I have ever seen!! I am always covering my mouth and trying to talk with it almost closed!! I have no idea where to start -I am so embarrassed to even ask the dentist in case he says they are beyond help. I doubt whitening would help as the base of the bottom teeth are stained very dark. They are also crooked, which makes them very hard to clean. Anyone any ideas if anything can be done? I was thinking veneers, but have read on here that they aren't all they are cracked up to be? Would love some reassurance that something can be done. I would also love recommendations of where to go, however I am in N Ireland, so I guess few of you will be be able to help with that!

Maverick66 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:31:15

Hi Miss Duke. I would urge you to visit an orthodontist. There are at least two reputable ones that I know of in NIreland. They are very helpful and will let you pay for your treatments in instalments. In my opinion there s no tooth problem that can't be sorted in this day and age and age is no limit. I know women and men in their sixties having their teeth sorted by orthodontists. Good luck!

MissDuke Sun 28-Dec-14 13:52:14

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, really appreciate it!

DasherDancerPrancerVixen Sun 28-Dec-14 14:03:54

No teeth are completely beyond help but cosmetic dental work is expensive so what you will be able to achieve does depend on how much money you have

HappyHippyChick Sun 28-Dec-14 14:06:14

Have you visited a hygienist recently? You might be surprised at the difference a scale and polish could do, especially to the stains at the bottom of your teeth.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 28-Dec-14 14:10:54

Hi OP I've recently done this after many years of covering my mouth with my hands. Cost a lot but I am in ROI which is much more expensive than NI I believe. I had teeth whitening (bleaching trays) which worked very well - you sleep with trays in your mouth for a few weeks and it really made a difference and wasn't too pricey. Also had two crowns and two veneers - veneers have been a bit annoying having detached once each but seem to be staying put now. Overall well worth the money though! Very happy with results.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 28-Dec-14 14:11:53

See

MissDuke Sun 28-Dec-14 14:15:31

Wow thanks again for all of the replies! We have some savings so will talk to dh about a budget. So hygienist first then? And see from there?

Nugget, thanks for sharing those pics, that gives me hope, really appreciate it x

HappyHippyChick Sun 28-Dec-14 14:45:48

Yes, hygienist first then go from there. Good luck!

CeeloWeevil Sun 28-Dec-14 14:52:32

i had orthodontic work as a teenager and again for two years in my early thirties.
It's never too late!

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 28-Dec-14 14:56:57

Flippin post got deleted aaaagh.

Mine cost €3k buy that was with two lots of root canal so €2k for cosmetic stuff. Not ridiculous and ROI is notoriously expensive for dental work. Good luck! So worth it, wish I had done it years ago.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 28-Dec-14 14:58:37

My bottom teeth sound similar to yours and the whitening really made a difference to them even though they are still really crooked.

Theweek Sun 28-Dec-14 16:31:19

Loads can be done!
First, have a proper exam, see the hygienist and have any staining removed. Then consider tooth whitening, this will lighten and brighten and make them look fab. Existing fillings and any porcelain work won't change colour however. We are moving away from drilling teeth, crowns andveneers look fab but damage teeth and need updating in the future. It's surprising how just a good clean up and lighten can make a massive difference.
Your dentist will have seen far worse so definitely don't worry!

MissDuke Sun 28-Dec-14 16:39:44

Thank you!!!! Honestly, I really needed this reassurance! I have always felt very ashamed, as its my own fault - diet coke habit (now resolved) and several years of neglecting them, so only myself to blame.

Theweek Sun 28-Dec-14 16:56:07

Oral B electric toothbrush, rotating one. Brush 'em twice daily and don't rinse the toothpaste out. The only whitening toothpaste which I think works is Oral B 3D brilliance, purple tube, none abrasive.
You'll be fine! Don't worry. Don't be embarrassed.

flumperoo Sun 28-Dec-14 16:58:12

You can get braces that take just 6 months nowadays.
www.6monthsmiles.com/
www.inmanaligner.com/

emmabrfd Sun 28-Dec-14 17:09:43

If you are anywhere near the Belfast Area, fantastic dentist on the Ormeau Road, Rossmore Dental Care, who provided my teeth whitening however also does different forms of cosmetic dentistry so I'd give them a shot if you're in the area! Hazel Ross has been my dentist for over 14 years and I can't recommend her enough. She also referred me to a fantastic ortho for braces, Knock Orthodontics in Ballyhackamore. Also couldn't recommend them enough, they provide "invisible" braces on a private basis, had them for 6 months! Rossmore is both NHS and private btw! Good luck with your future lovely smile x

MissDuke Sun 28-Dec-14 17:42:00

Aww thanks! I am in County Down so Ormeau Road is definitely doable :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now