Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for a 90 year old

(23 Posts)
HexBramble Fri 26-Dec-14 21:27:13

Where can I buy them?
Decent trousers or a nice dress. MIL is a smart and sprightly lady and we are taking her out New Years Eve for a meal. Have no clue where to shop!

WastingMyYoungYears Fri 26-Dec-14 21:28:56

M&S?

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Dec-14 21:36:43

Marks and spencers, BHS, House of fraser or any of the big department stores. Marks do a classic range. You can get things from there. Daxon is a company that my mum gets things from.

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Dec-14 21:39:03

Looking at Daxon, they seemed to have more fashionable things now! You could also try John lewis.

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Dec-14 21:43:13

www.classicclothingshop.co.uk/elderly-clothing/elderly-dresses.html

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Dec-14 21:51:16

www.fiftyplus.co.uk/shop/nightingales-drape-front-dress-l39in/ly218/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=1652#colour:Magenta,size:

AliMonkey Fri 26-Dec-14 21:55:43

Is that Classic Clothing website for real? Is that really what they think older ladies all wear?!

I would say that a 90 year old could wear just what a 50 year old could wear unless they have any specific mobility issues so eg problems with zips or buttons - which isn't issue here as 90 year old described as spritely.

Not sure though about circumstances? Is OP is planning to present outfit (which might be seen as saying " you don't dress smartly enough normally so offend)?

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Dec-14 22:18:34

I agree but my mum who is 80 wears clothes only for comfort. I agree..it all seems a bit sad and dull but if you look at elderly women..they tend to actually wear those clothes!! well, where i live here anyway!!!

Floisme Fri 26-Dec-14 22:46:28

I think at 90 anything with buttons and zips can be a problem even if your mobility is good. My mum mostly wore simple pull on trousers and Ts at that age as she couldnt fasten anything but liked to dress herself. But she liked them in nice fabrics and colours and with a scarf or nice jewellry. And she liked getting her hair done.

AliMonkey Fri 26-Dec-14 23:35:20

I remember my grandmother wearing clothes like that but none of the older ladies I know do eg one wears leggings and tunic top often, one often in smart suit, another in comfy but smart trousers and smart T shirt. Most of the time they look much smarter than me!

thenightsky Fri 26-Dec-14 23:37:28

I remember my 92 year old grandmother telling to take some of her clothes down to the charity shop as she would never wear them because 'they are for an older woman' grin

drudgetrudy Mon 29-Dec-14 18:21:10

My Mum is 95 and confused but its very important to her to be smart.
She likes slimma trousers with a half elasticated waist and plain fine knit jumpers in bright or light colours.
She won't wear skirts as she doesn't like her legs now (arthritis and varicose veins).
For a special occasion she likes a trouser suit with a longish jacket and a contrasting top.
Hair do (like the queen but toned down a bit) and lipstick very important.
Also likes nice scarves -but hates dark and muted colours.
I suppose it depends on personal taste too-she wouldn't wear some of the stuff on the classic clothing link.(Too old-fashioned).

drudgetrudy Mon 29-Dec-14 18:29:44

PS-its cheap but matalan is good for comfortable day to day clothes and they have trousers similar to the slimma ones in several leg lengths-otherwise M&S. The matalan ones look just as good to me and are very comfy but look smart.

lurkingaround Mon 29-Dec-14 18:36:06

My mum is in her 80s and likes to look well. She shops in department stores - brands like Gerry Weber, Alexon, Jacques Vert. Some things in M&S. She has had some lovely things from the Classic and <shuddder> Per Una range with the help of a fab sales assistant. I would have said the lot of it was awful, but the sales assistant was wonderful, picked stuff that was both surprisingly flattering and functional.

Agree with Floisme, be mindful of mobility and dexterity.

Blanketontheground Mon 29-Dec-14 18:39:49

Damart. It's brilliant and I order loads and have a try on session with my nan and send back what she doesn't like. We buy less but better quality and it washes really well. I will try to link.

drudgetrudy Mon 29-Dec-14 18:39:56

Jaques Vert! That's where my Mum got her trouser suit and she loves it.

All the thing I have mentioned are button and zip free and non-iron. My Mum is very immobile and has wheelchair to go out so clothes need to be comfy for sitting.

meandjulio Mon 29-Dec-14 18:44:42

I second Gerry Weber or Jacques Vert.

For some 90 year olds I would say look at East, except that they seem to have taken leave of their senses this season [reels away from hideousness on website]. Just potentially this dress with a polo neck and narrow trousers underneath, but for many 90 year olds it just wouldn't be smart enough (I know a few 80 year olds who would wear it though).

Blanketontheground Mon 29-Dec-14 18:47:01

www.damart.co.uk

Excellent customer service too.

HexBramble Mon 29-Dec-14 20:50:45

Thanks everyone. I've opted for M&S Classic for now and, thanks to my iPad, she's chosen a beautiful a line skirt (mid calf) with a lovely lambs wool polo neck in baby blue. She also has a gorgeous pin cord a line skirt from Laura Ashley and a twin set to go with it.

She also wears jeans with elasticated waist and a lovely chunky cardigan for around the house.

She had a dusky pink body warmer/gillet from BIL and she teams it with a matching pinky silk scarf.

We're also on the lookout for patent court shoes with a block heel and I've invested in some hair tongs for when she's between 'do's' by her hairdresser.

I adore this lady. There are 50 years between us yet she's one of a few of close friends that I have.

Thanks for the web site suggestions - we will look trough them with interest!

HexBramble Mon 29-Dec-14 20:52:34

through smile

Blanketontheground Mon 29-Dec-14 20:58:57

Wow she sounds fantastic. And so stylish. Thanks for letting us know what you chose. I hope I have a friend like you when I'm 90.

Chewbecca Mon 29-Dec-14 21:01:47

Sounds great. I shop in Viyella for my MiL who's in her 80s, strikes a good balance IMO.

HexBramble Mon 29-Dec-14 21:58:17

Blanket thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now