Talk

Advanced search

Shop mirror question-are there some that are just more flattering?

(6 Posts)
Madaboutthrows Wed 24-Dec-14 22:05:39

I must admit I don't quite understand how some mirrors are flattering and others aren't. Can someone explain or am I just getting confused?

bloomingheather Wed 24-Dec-14 22:13:13

I'm sure there are Mad )I've been aware of this for a while and have been conducting my own, extensive (and very expensive), research grin. I think it's all to do with the lighting. I have decided that COS, Urban Outfitters & All Saints' mirrors are lighted from behind and it's much more flattering. There will be other ones but those are the ones I can think of just now and was in All Saints today for a browse and it reminded me. Makes my skin look better and everything. On the other hand, Urban Outfitters & All Saints are so dark as to make me squint every time I go in, so that may be why wink.

lurkingaround Wed 24-Dec-14 22:14:49

Think of the back of a spoon - your image is reflected as stretched and distorted, and on the concave side it's upside down. It's to do with how light hits the surface and is reflected back. So in a shop, the mirror can be ever so slightly curved, resulting in a ever-so-slightly taller and slimmer you.

did you want all that -ahem- (I use the term loosely) science? Or were you just wondering if shops use funny mirrors so we all think we're fabulous and buy loads? Well, some do. Should be illegal if you ask me.

Skinheadmermaid Wed 24-Dec-14 22:34:16

Yes, a lot of shops tilt the mirrors so you look slimmer.

maybemyrtle Wed 24-Dec-14 22:36:42

Yes! What lurking said. I remember being told years ago that gap changing room mirrors were slightly concave to boost sales. Don't know if it's true or not though, can anyone confirm/deny?

dingalong Fri 26-Dec-14 10:49:13

My mother has a skinny mirror - best thing ever. You know it's fake but puts a smile on your face going out. You drop a size instantly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now