Talk

Advanced search

Who said sheer tights were not in fashion?

(24 Posts)
Madaboutthrows Tue 23-Dec-14 18:10:38

www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2014/dec/23/the-return-of-sheer-tights

Looks like they are making a return

Doobigetta Tue 23-Dec-14 19:10:50

They don't seem to distinguish between sheer black and nude, though. To me they are two completely different things.

Lots of young girls are wearing them around here, with clumpy shoes. I wear nude ones but don't like sheer black ones - it's a rare pair of legs that looks nice in them.

Onetwothreebanana Tue 23-Dec-14 19:17:06

I have long slim legs but still think I look rubbish in sheer black tights. I wear either thick black, sheer tan (for work) or go bare legged

CatsClaus Tue 23-Dec-14 19:18:43

i think sheer stockings/tights are much nicer than opaques

bigTillyMint Tue 23-Dec-14 19:20:39

DD and her mates all wear them with short skirts and high, clompy boots/shoes. The nude oneswink

Bearleigh Tue 23-Dec-14 19:27:52

I think good legs look great in sheer black tights: the problem is finding them - barely black doesn't cut it. I'm delighted to learn I am on the cutting edge of fashion, having been in the tight wilderness for a long time.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Tue 23-Dec-14 19:31:57

grin at Bearleigh in the "tight wilderness"

BelindaAllWorkedOut Tue 23-Dec-14 19:32:49

FWIW I like the look of those tights in that Guardian pic. Not too sheer, not too opaque. Probably took them about 8 years to find the right tights.

thenightsky Tue 23-Dec-14 19:34:34

*Marks & Spencer report that for every pair of opaques, a woman will buy
three pairs of sheer tights*.

Not surprising given I can rip 2 pairs just getting dressed.

Fuckmath Tue 23-Dec-14 19:53:43

That was also my thought thenightsky! I wear opaques much more often but get more wears out of each pair than I do from sheer tights so if they looked at what I bought the figures wouldn't represent what I actually wear.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Tue 23-Dec-14 19:56:46

Haha I was going to post this article earlier! I take back my comments about them always looking out of date - if I had legs like the model I'd wear them! Might give them a shot with an LBD I have for the festive season... eek

threepiecesuite Tue 23-Dec-14 19:56:56

Ugh, sheer tights remind me of buying Golden Lady tights from Bodycare back in the day and inevitably laddering them before actually leaving the house.

Greengardenpixie Tue 23-Dec-14 20:29:08

I dont mind the black ones tbh. I think they look ok. Sheer tights are not comfy though and make my legs itch. I dont like the fact that they rip so easily. Will be sticking with opaques.

SwedishEdith Tue 23-Dec-14 20:45:12

Oh, that journalist wrote a really stupid article the other week about how to go bare legged stylishly in the winter. Who are the people worrying about that? She's obsessed with getting away from being warm.

FrugalFashionista Tue 23-Dec-14 21:44:57

Hate to break it to you but these days you can buy durable sheer black tights - not too sheer, not too opaque - for not very much at all. I've found terrific ones at places like Lidl and Ipercoop for princely sums like 1.60 or 3.00. The look has been back for a while: iirc all the college girls here started wearing them with their cutoffs and micro shorts a year or two ago - now the bottoms are gone altogether and they just wear long t shirts or very short dresses and Doc Martens with them. The quality of sheer tights has improved a lot too. They are smooth, not itchy, don't ladder too easily and no longer do that weird zebra interference cheap nylons used to do when I was younger. Last winter, I took my shoes off and walked a few blocks home from a party in my sheer tights on a winter night - the tights did not ladder.

I remember thinking sometime in the early 1990s that black opaques are the most perfect winter trend, ever. Then they suddenly went out of fashion and stayed off the radar for a decade - or close to two? Then they had a big comeback, with people pairing them with peeptoe sandals. Last year, I realized I had stopped wearing black opaques - still have some unopened packs of Falkes. Wonder what is going to happen next wink

threepiecesuite Tue 23-Dec-14 22:24:34

The best thing about opaques is I can get away with not shaving my legs.

50ShadesOfSummer Wed 24-Dec-14 07:13:36

I think it depends on what you wear them with. I'm a fan of the winter shorts look but would only wear them with opaques (I am no spring chicken).

On the other hand, last weekend I wore a pair of sheer, black tights with a short-ish, skater style dress and thought they looked better than opaques - more dressed up IYSWIM.

(I even briefly contemplated a pair of fishnets. Quickly thought better of it, thank God!)

GreenEyedMonster14 Wed 24-Dec-14 07:17:53

How old are you lot? Literally don't know anyone who wears opaques! confused

Fuckmath Wed 24-Dec-14 08:23:38

Green eyed I'm in my 20s and most people wear opaques in the winter... confused Sheer tights + boots look a bit of a shit combo

HoHonutty Wed 24-Dec-14 08:28:30

It's not the fact that they are in or out of fashion is the fact that they make legs look horrid.

Sheer tights and boots = Eastern European prostitute. Not nice. Unless you are 19, a size 8 and the boots are DMs.

I have some seemed sheer black ones but have never worn them. My legs are slim and quite long compared to the rest of me, but I just don't think they look nice.

JapaneseMargaret Thu 25-Dec-14 06:00:43

They only don't look nice because our eye hasn't (re)adjusted to them.

Otherwise how do you explain everyone loving bootlegs and banging on about how hip-slimming and leg-lengthening they were, only for them to 'suddenly' look mumsy and frumpy and basically just, 'not nice'...?

Our gorgeous 19YO Swedish au pair wears sheer black tights usually laddered.

polyhymnia Thu 25-Dec-14 09:08:25

Sounds like I'll have to stop saying sheer black tights look dated.

But at the moment at least I don't like the look for myself - probably because I used to wear them back in the day and know people who have never stopped. But perhaps my tights sensibilities may indeed change as more are around on the more stylish and I'll be wearing them again by next Christmas (when they may have gone 'out' again!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now