Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gold or silver jewellery. How can I tell which one suits me?

(18 Posts)
ihatethecold Sun 21-Dec-14 17:02:30

I have olive sallow skin with very dark brown hair and eyes.
I have both gold and silver earrings and necklaces but I can't tell which looks better.
I wear tops in strong jewel colours.
I look terrible in white tops.
Anyone know if I'm warm or cold.
Or how I can tell.

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Dec-14 17:09:12

I guess it's which one you feel better wearing; which one makes you think "That works" the most. Maybe you can wear both with your colouring?

cardoon Sun 21-Dec-14 17:11:00

If you look terrible in white you are warm toned most likely. In theory gold should look better on you. I am warm toned but kind of neutral (bright spring) so I can wear silver or gold and look better in off white/cream.

ihatethecold Sun 21-Dec-14 18:28:38

Ok. So I'm not any closer to having a clue! grinconfused

kerstina Sun 21-Dec-14 19:31:29

I wouldn't worry what suits you just go for what you instinctively prefer. I much prefer silver.

Casmama Sun 21-Dec-14 20:12:04

I have cool colouring and suit silver. Gold jewellery looks cheap on me even if the same piece of jewellery would look expensive on my mum who has warm colouring.

Does coral suit you, or khaki? Both colours make me look like a corpse so would indicate warm colouring if they look good on you.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 21-Dec-14 20:18:13

Rings are where it's noticeable the most on me. Go to a jewellers and try on some gold and some silver, one on each hand.

I have slightly olive toned skin, with some oinkiness on my face, I'm quite pale though. Deep dark brown hair, hazel eyes. White metals look way better on me than yellow gold. Never had my colours done though.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 21-Dec-14 20:19:35

And yes to coral and khaki looking terrible on me, anything yellow toned is a bad look for me. I suit bright jewel tones but can wear white too.

cardoon Sun 21-Dec-14 20:44:30

Lol@oinkiness grin

ihatethecold Sun 21-Dec-14 22:01:09

I look best in purple, Electric blue and other strong jewel colours.

dexter73 Sun 21-Dec-14 22:42:31

I wear both, sometimes at the same time!

RojaGato Mon 22-Dec-14 12:07:25

If you have olive skin I'd say probably gold.

Repunsal Mon 22-Dec-14 16:15:39

A tip I learned is to look at the veins in the back of wrist.
If you have blue veins you have cool skin if they are
green then you have warm skin.
Generally cool skin suits silver jewellery and warm skin suits gold.

NeitherHereOrThere Mon 22-Dec-14 17:55:14

If you wear jewel colours (which are cool winter colours), silver looks best with these. Gold looks cheap when teamed with cool colours and are better teamed with warm colours.

ihatethecold Mon 22-Dec-14 18:19:23

I did try to work out my vein colour but they look bluey green!

ihatethecold Mon 22-Dec-14 18:20:57

My dd thinks they are green.

dexter73 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:27:33

Mine are bluey green too!

Milmingebag Mon 22-Dec-14 19:01:44

For some reason I find it easier to figure it out with nail varnish as it's easier to see on against your hands.
I look dreadful with gold on (think corpse hands) but silver is lovely so I obviously have cool undertones.

A lot of olive skin is actually cool toned more often than warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now