Talk

Advanced search

Any sheer lipstick recommendations?

(26 Posts)
SomethingOnceInRoyalDavidsCity Sun 21-Dec-14 11:44:24

I'm not usually a lipstick wearer, so can anyone recommend a high street brand (not too expensive) with decent sheer lipsticks?

I think what I'm after is: sheer, berry sort of shades, with no shimmer.

That sounds a bit like gloss maybe, but I find it too sticky.

[out of depth]

BigPawsBrown Sun 21-Dec-14 11:47:46

Revlon butter lips are all sheer and gorgeous colours (and feel like a balm). Swatch them on your hand because while they look very bright in the tubes they are sheer and wearable on.

hugoagogo Sun 21-Dec-14 11:48:32

Revlon lip butter is nice and easy to wear

VertdeTerre Sun 21-Dec-14 11:55:37

Another vote for the Revlon lip butters. Very wearable and ideal if you don't usually wear lipstick. My only criticism is that they don't last very well (probably because they are so sheer/balm like), you do need to reapply more than you would a normal lipstick.

Catswiththumbs Sun 21-Dec-14 11:56:05

Topshop make up is nice- they have some sheer balms, but the normal lipsticks are fairly sheer until you build them up.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Sun 21-Dec-14 12:01:22

+1 for Revlon lip butters.

I can apply mine without a mirror it's so foolproof.

SomethingOnceInRoyalDavidsCity Sun 21-Dec-14 12:23:16

Brilliant!

Will have a look in Boots/Superdrug tomorrow and TS next time I'm in town.

Thank you all smile

thisissohard Sun 21-Dec-14 12:41:10

I love the lip butters by Revlon, but my favourite one is Clinique Chubby stick in Super Strawberry. I got it as a free gift with a magazine in the summer and have just finished. Will be getting the full size one in the new year

PrincessOfChina Sun 21-Dec-14 12:46:03

I'm not a lipstick girl but I do like the Clinque Chubby Sticks. Help dry lips too.

FluffyDucky Sun 21-Dec-14 13:04:09

revlon lip butters are lush! Also have a look at no 7 sheer temptation x

queenbrunhilda Sun 21-Dec-14 13:57:26

Lipstick Queen - gift sets in TK Maxx at the moment 3 very wearable colours for £14.99. Even nicer and more moisturising than Revlon lip butters and Clinique chubby sticks IMO!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Sun 21-Dec-14 15:44:26

The No7 sheer temptation ones are very drying. The colours are lovely though.

My Revlon one is 'pink truffle' - it's an excellent 'my lips but better' shade, just like a lipgloss colour but longer lasting and a little more intense.

SomethingOnceInRoyalDavidsCity Sun 21-Dec-14 16:12:45

Not sure I'm up to TK Maxx in the pre-Christmas period, but thanks anyway smile

I do need non-drying, so Revlon sounds ideal.

'my lips but better' shade, just like a lipgloss colour but longer lasting and a little more intense.

I've been watching a lot of Lisa Eldridge and that's exactly what I'm after!

Another question... Are sheer lipsticks more prone to bleeding into fine lines?

Madaboutthrows Sun 21-Dec-14 16:38:50

Clinique black honey.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Sun 21-Dec-14 16:52:57

I like the Benebalms. I have the original and the poise one. Both lovely smile

HeyheyheyGoodbye Sun 21-Dec-14 16:53:57

Posie not poise! Damn you autocorrect.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Sun 21-Dec-14 17:00:37

I think they are less prone to bleeding into lines - I find stains and long lasting lippies the worst for that. The Revlon one as its name suggests is buttery so more likely to slide off than stain. It will need reapplying.

Pink truffle one is the best my lips but better lippy I've found but I think it's quite personal so may not work for you!

Iheartautumn Sun 21-Dec-14 17:01:04

Revlon lipbutters!

SomethingOnceInRoyalDavidsCity Sun 21-Dec-14 17:01:49

Autocorrect thinks you have poise - take it as a compliment!

ArthurSHappeyChristmas Sun 21-Dec-14 17:04:13

I don't wear lipsticks very often but I do like chubby sticks (Clinique) they just add some colour and a slight shine.

Havingkittens Sun 21-Dec-14 20:28:02

I find 95% of sheer lipsticks bleed terribly on me because of their high moisture content. The only ones I have that don't bleed as much are the YSL Candy Shine one, and the Estee Lauder Crystal ones.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 21-Dec-14 20:35:23

The Revlon Pink Truffle is great but it doesn't last long. I can apply it without a mirror but it does make a noticeable difference to my appearance. The Red Velvet one is lovely too, but needs more care with application as it is a deeper shade. I don't find they bleed.

I've got that Clinique Super Strawberry one from the magazine too, but it is too pinky for me. Nice texture though.

keeponkeepinon Sun 21-Dec-14 23:31:31

Clinique black honey...I cant imagine there is anyone it doesn't suit

SomethingOnceInRoyalDavidsCity Sun 21-Dec-14 23:40:56

Thanks again, all smile

I hope to make it to the shops tomorrow - will report back.

SomethingOnceInRoyalDavidsCity Mon 22-Dec-14 23:58:27

Went with Revlon Pink Truffle and tried it out this evening.

Feels ok on, looks alright!

(That sounds a bit unenthusiastic, but it's just because I'm not accustomed to wearing lipstick!)

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now