Talk

Advanced search

Non-maternity clothes for pregnancy

(38 Posts)
Maplessglobe Thu 18-Dec-14 18:22:06

Ok. I'm pregnant for the third time, and sick if the sight of most of my maternity clothes, I gave almost all of them away. I am still 13 weeks but can see me bursting out of my boyfriend jeans quite soon. I've never carried particularly big and have quite tiny babies

Maplessglobe Thu 18-Dec-14 18:26:17

Sorry, sorry, it posted too soon. I normally wear an 8-10, 5'4" and favour whistles for workwear and zara/topshop for slubbing. Have a few great tops and luxe-joggers that will work for a while but need more inspiration for current season clothes that will be my friend. please, please don't make me buy more maternity clothes....!

mummypig3 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:40:28

Leggings with longline tops in a bigger size?

Maplessglobe Thu 18-Dec-14 18:44:31

Thanks.
Yes.
I tend to think of leggings as a last resort. And I specifically would like oversize-type clothes that won't look ridiculous now but I can wear them happily later.
Thanks in advance.

chloechloe Thu 18-Dec-14 20:00:27

I'm 26 weeks and am steering away from mat clothes too! The only mat things I have are a pair of jeans from H&M which look surprisingly smart, 2 pairs of black jeans/trousers and a black IO wrap dress. My go to work items are jackets without buttons, either tuxedo style or a boxy chanelesque cut. They look great with smart jeans or black trousers. I prefer over the bump trousers as it means I can wear most of my normal fitted tops without worrying about flashing anything, plus the cut of the jackets means the bump is not quite as exposed.

I'm not opposed to leggings but they can have a tendency to look a bit cheap and see through! French Connection do great ones that are really thick and look smart.

Maplessglobe Thu 18-Dec-14 20:18:55

Thanks, chloe. I can't really wear jackets at work but I am glad I'm not alone in my irrational anti-mat clothes stance!
I'm with you on the over-the-bump thing. Never understood under-the-bump....

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 18-Dec-14 21:08:13

I know leggings are a bit passé but I'm embracing them this pregnancy. I'm 16 weeks and just a bit too porky for my jeans. I am usually a size 8-10 but balloon during pregnancy.

I have several nice long plainish jumpers tunics in nice fabrics from the likes of Hush and Gap and am wearing black riding boots and a good coat, and big scarves. It's a good time of year to dress like this tbh. It's the leather leggings and a knit look - but for pregnancy. I hope leather leggings are still fashionable next winter and that I'll have lost my baby weight by then

I'm avoiding Isabella Oliver ruched bump-accentuating stuff this time and definitely no empire line! I do have a lovely drop waist lined floaty navy and taupe dress from Mango in a size 14 which I've worn with opaques and ankle boots for vaguely dressy occasions.

But I'll be giving up on style by about 25 weeks I expect given the way I'm eating - envious of people with neat small bumps, that won't be me!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 18-Dec-14 21:12:07

Mamas and Papas do have some nice stuff - I know you don't want maternity but tbh I always look there when I'm passing even if I'm not pregnant, their stuff doesn't always look like obvious maternity wear - nice dresses. They often have discounts too. Haven't been in yet this pregnancy but will probably succumb to the lure of cute baby clothes at some point.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 18-Dec-14 21:25:25

Eg This jumper in navy with black leggings and ankle boots and a fur coat on top

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 18-Dec-14 21:28:34

This dress is nice

So is this

Maplessglobe Thu 18-Dec-14 21:40:48

Thanks for the links. Can't open the M&P ones but will try later. I find the sizing there bizarre, though, and there isn't one near me. and I fairly promised myself not to

I feel your pain about the leather leggings. I just bought some truly perfect jeans before I got up the duff. I am now looking at them wistfully from time to time, wondering how long it'll take me to fit back in them.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 18-Dec-14 22:11:30

Asos own brand maternity jeans look very good and quite cheap. The Ridley and Whitby styles look great. I just can't make jeans work for me in pregnancy as I get so huge they aren't comfy - but if you have a neat bump may be worth a try, they do free delivery and returns with asos premier which makes it well worth ordering a load of stuff to try on at home if you're a fickle shopaholic like me

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 18-Dec-14 22:14:34

I've just ordered one of the M and P dresses I linked - the Midnight Knitted Dress.

My favourite current dress is the Hush Rosie dress - soo comfy my main priority

dashoflime Thu 18-Dec-14 22:16:20

Primark do a tube skirt for only a fiver! They come in all different colours and lengths. I'm currently 28 wks and wearing Primary tube skirts in a size 20 most days.

Maplessglobe Fri 19-Dec-14 07:47:58

Ah yes I can see the knitted dress now, thank you. It's not too maternity-y. I quite like asos, but I really don't fancy buying more mat stuff.
Re tube skirts, thanks, it's a good idea. However, would like to be able to wear things afterwards and buying in a much bigger size won't do this. Also, part of the reason behind not wanting to buy a load of mat stuff is trying to buy more consciously, stuff that will last and not be chucked. In line with this I spent a year only buying from fairtrade suppliers but that was sadly almost impossible and I only got by because of my old clothes. Now I just buy carefully and little and - while I know much of the high street is not great from an ethical/human rights perspective- I feel that primark has done more than most to promote the idea of throwaway fashion.

Didn't mean that to be a lecture! But didn't want to just ignore, or not explain.

Any more ideas?

dashoflime Fri 19-Dec-14 09:23:14

I see where you coming from Mapless but how will that work in pregnancy? Inevitably your shape is going to change dramatically but temporarily so buying for the long term doesnt seem much of an option. Unless you find maternity pieces that dont look to maternityish and that you can wear afterwards I suppose.
For ethical consumption, second hand might be a way forward I suppose.

kaykayblue Fri 19-Dec-14 09:46:22

OP - Why don't you try Seraphine. They aren't very expensive (especially not compared to bloody Isabella Oliver or whatever who seems to charge through the teeth), and apparently the quality is excellent. Plus it's not particularly "maternity"-esque. For example, I'm not pregnant, but I would definitely still wear pretty much everything in their knit wear section. Most of their stuff is also nursing friendly, so you can keep wearing it after as well. Their jeans look amazing. I'm sort of tempted to buy a pair just so I can eat a big meal and not have to feel like my jeans are cutting me in half.

Why don't you think back as to what were your life savers the last time you were pregnant (long line vest tops or whatever), and make sure you get at least a couple of those in.

If you think you'll be getting too big for your jeans, why not get a bump band? That should buy you a few more weeks at least. You can get them at all sorts of places for all sorts of budgets.

If you go for giant over size tops with a plan to wear them later, then you may end up looking a bit balloon esque whilst your pregnant, plus I can't see how the fit would work when you are in your final trimester, even if you don't carry big. It would either be too short at the back or too long at the front. I mean, generally there's a reason why maternity clothes are cut differently. Plus when you had the baby the top would have to be - in effect - a tent. I mean, give it a go if you like, I just can't see how it's going to be very flattering.

Same for trousers and skirts. If you buy non maternity stuff to accomodate your belly, then they'll be too big everywhere else. Bit of a nightmare, and doesn't sound comfortable. Or secure!!

Maplessglobe Fri 19-Dec-14 10:48:20

Thanks for your thoughts.
Well I think it's a given that I will need mat trousers and luckily I still have a couple of pairs I didn't give away.
I don't want to look terrible/shapeless/ridiculous. I can normally dress myself very well. However throughout both pregs I had a few nice things like oversized tops and tunic dresses that I already had and worked all the way through. I just want more like that.

In fact the hush knitted dress looks good, and I've also see that mango and baukjen have some oversize or loose-fitting knitted dresses that I think would work well.

Thanks everyone.

Havingkittens Fri 19-Dec-14 11:01:07

I spent most of my pregnancy in jersey dresses that I already owned with leggings or tights. I just couldn't bear anything done up around or below my bump. If you go for wrap style dresses they are also great for breast feeding after you've had the baby and are comfy to sit around in in the awkward positions you often find yourself stuck in feeding or having a baby fall asleep on you, crawl about on the floor, or snooze comfortably whilst the baby naps. Also more comfortable to wear post partum if you have to have a CS.

Some of my dresses had short sleeves but I found wearing long sleeved heat tech tops from Uniqlo or M&S underneath meant I could wear them in winter too with a card so they lasted throughout my pregnancy (I carried quite small too).

Baggy jumpers, tunics, tops are good too. Yes, some of them may be a bit too baggy to wear afterwards, so buy cheap ones. H&M have a few for about £13.

I hardly bought any maternity clothes. I think I spent a total of about £150 max. One of my staples was a stretchy tube skirt from Top Shop Maternity which was really comfortable over my bump and could dress up or down. Also, still fits nearly 2 years later.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 19-Dec-14 11:06:34

I bought some nice stuff in Jaegar mostly for work though which got me to about 25 weeks (size 8). Their fit is quite generous.

You might get further along in a bigger size and they are great value in the sales.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Fri 19-Dec-14 11:08:42

Update with any good finds Mapless!

It's such a short period, being pregnant, but I find it so important to keep dressing well if it's important to you normally - it keeps your sense of self. You still deserve to wear nice things - and I admire your attitude to disposable fashion. I don't want to spend ££ on clothes that aren't going to work forever but I do want a wardrobe that I feel good in and that works for me. The good thing the second time around is you know how big you will get and how quickly you're likely to lose the weight so less likely to make bad purchases I think. And less likely to have a fantasy of the sort of mum you will be eyes monstrous Cath Kidston changing bag that was replaced by a Mulberry outlet big slouchy crossbody Buying bras that fit properly regularly throughout pregnancy is important to me this time.

Veryan123 Fri 19-Dec-14 11:22:30

I wore lots of non maternity Cos dresses for work. They have lots of styles that are cut loosely. Nearly all of mine fitted at 38 weeks and I was by no means tiny.

bluewisteria Fri 19-Dec-14 15:43:27

A lot of maternity trousers can look terrible... What about wool dresses and tights to see you through till April?

HazleNutt Sat 20-Dec-14 13:50:05

anything stretchy, with ruching around stomach - I had several stretchy dresses and tops that I could wear before, during and after pregnancy.
something like this: www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/tops/caley-check-top/301699725
www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/anna-dress/202946050

Maplessglobe Sat 20-Dec-14 19:46:41

Thanks everyone, especially for not making me feel like an idiot for even trying.

I bought a very nice jumper dress from baukjen on make's recommendation and I have my eye on a couple of slouchy tees from french connection that will work well.

I know what you mean, blue about mat trousers. I have two leftover mat trousers -one slim pair of mat jeans and a slim crepe trouser from Benetton that both work for me.

I do have some jersey dresses that work for me, but have decided some of them are a bit mumsy, especially with a bump!

having I will look into the tube skirt- I like the sound of that if it still fits!

veryan I will certainly look at cos, it's one of my preferred places to buy dresses, but the ones I have are quite slim-cut.

Thanks again, all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now