Talk

Advanced search

grey hair

(10 Posts)
goshhhhhh Thu 18-Dec-14 17:46:23

I think this has probably been done to death but bear with me. I've decided to embrace my grey after years of dyeing. I'm 44 been grey since 20. Fed up & it is a kind of silvery white. I'm looking for inspiration to keep me going - I remember a blog being mentioned on here but can't find it. Anyone know? Thank you

TalkinPeace Thu 18-Dec-14 21:19:10

Saves money
Saves time
Saves stress
Never have 'roots'
Hair tone matches face tone

If more women were honest about their hair colour, ageism and the pressure to look young - that the men do not have - would reduce

I gave up dyeing my hair 15 years ago and its in wonderful condition and a doddle to look after.

FiveHoursSleep Thu 18-Dec-14 21:21:45

Another non dyer here. I love it, it's so easy and people often ask me where I get my highlights done! Lol
I don't dye as I have a sensitive scalp, I'm lazy and can think of better things to spend my money on.
Go to pinterest and search for grey hair

ShinySilver Thu 18-Dec-14 21:23:33

howbourgeois.blogspot.co.uk/p/its-gray-hair-party.html?m=1
This is a blog by a beautiful woman with grey hair.
Do it op, I agree with everything talkinpeace said!

ImBrian Thu 18-Dec-14 21:25:48

There's a woman who works for vogue who has amazing grey hair. I'd love to leave mine but I'm very dark and just look like crap when the grey comes in.

goshhhhhh Fri 19-Dec-14 00:14:28

Thank you - I shall look!

OHolyShite Fri 19-Dec-14 00:36:19

How Bourgeois and The Highland Fashionista are two of my faves.

I'm 34 and stopped dyeing (the drastic way - shaved my head) in January. I had bra strap length naturally chocolate tresses before which I had to dye every two weeks. I now have a chin length bob (growing it more because I'm not a 'bob' person) which is an mix of dark platinum and bright silver (looks like highlights) It's awesome and I get compliments all the time smile . It's also the healthiest my hair has ever been.

My tips are

1. Wear a bit more makeup to counterbalance the grey. Bright lippies are my favourite.

2. Use proper silver hair products. I use a purple shampoo (Schwarzkopf) and toning conditioner (Clairol Shimmer Lights) followed by a more nourishing conditioner. My colour positively sparkles afterwards.

3. Keep it in a defined style. Unkempt grey hair is more likely to look 'crazy cat lady' than brown/blonde etc.

Best thing I've done in years. Go for it smile .

Milmingebag Fri 19-Dec-14 00:55:42

I've tried and failed but I love seeing grey hair on women and think most look wonderful. My problem is my patterning is not great. I have pure white temples and along my lower hairline but the top is still very dark with a smattering of silvers. I like to wear a pixie (I don't suit long hair) and this pattering doesn't work with this haircut.

However dyeing it has become such a chore. To keep on top of it it needs doing every couple of weeks and shop bought dyed just wash off so I have to use professional dyes.

Some sources of inspiration-

Going gray looking great ( they have a forum called cafe gray that has other women supporting each other through the badger and beyond with photos etc)

Going gray guide on Facebook

Highland Fashionista

YouTube -the change guru- she is marking her journey with vids

Boom 'Saturday with Cindy' YouTube series - lots of talks on grey hair and authenticity.

Dating and graying blog.

Pinterest has loads of pages of inspiration silvers.

My hair has a half inch white halo and I'm contemplating going natural again.

It was lovely to see a female MP on question time the other night who was embracing her salt and pepper locks. She looked great and it got me thinking it might be time now for me.

Cocolepew Fri 19-Dec-14 01:51:27

I grew my dye out a few months ago, I have a pixie cut. But like Milmingebag grin my patterning wasn't great. Lovely and white around my face but very patchy elsewhere. The top and back were much darker than I imagined they would be.
I think if my hair was longer it could have worked butmI'm now blonde grin

goshhhhhh Fri 19-Dec-14 06:56:35

It is the one I was looking for! Definitely going to go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now