Talk

Advanced search

Urgent help needed for tomorrow! None of my clothes fit :(

(11 Posts)
frumpy79 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:46:22

Hello - I need some help please! I have an annual get together tomorrow night which I need to go to, and I have literally nothing to wear. It's been a really tough year for various reasons and I've let my weight get completely out of control (gone from a size 10 to a size 14) - I'm quite chubby all over but in particular I now have a horribly noticeable tummy and look pregnant in many of my clothes (I'm not imagining it unfortunately as several people have asked if I'm pregnant recently shock)

So I am determined to lose the weight next year, but in the meantime I've just tried on all of my "going out" type clothes and there is not a single item which fits anymore. There will be some incredibly beautiful and slim women there tomorrow which only makes me feel worse about myself (especially as they are all actually lovely with it!). Help me! what can I buy quickly to wear which will cover my tummy and make me look vaguely presentable rather than a lard ass? I'm in London so have access to a pretty good range of shops. It's not a glam type event - more just trendy pubs and bars so need something not too over the top.

A bit more background if helpful - I'm 5'5", shoulder length dark hair, and unfortunately don't have any "good bits" which can be displayed any more - arms, thighs and tummy all very flabby.

Sorry, just realised that is very long and rambling - but I would be so grateful if any of the stylish ladies on here can suggest an outfit for me!

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 18-Dec-14 14:53:17

Can you wear jeans or is this too casual? I would buy a well-fitting pair of high waist jeans (style depending what suits you, probably straight leg) to avoid tummy bulge. Wear them with a pair of biker/ankle boots.

On top I'd look for a silky/sparkly top, probably with sleeves/bat wing-type arrangements to cover up but not close fitting. Can you do an online review before hitting the shops?

frumpy79 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:06:53

Hi Curtains - jeans would be fine I think, but I've been struggling to find a pair that doesn't make me look pregnant - I bought these a couple of weeks ago but if anything they seem to accentuate my stomach, have I just picked the wrong style?

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Label+Lab+Thorn+high+waisted+skinny+jeans/189134170,default,pd.html

Would you recommend any particular shops for tops?

Thanks

elfofftheshelf Thu 18-Dec-14 15:16:21

Hi - How about a tunic style top to go with the jeans? COS have some nice ones, although they are black, but you could dress up with some dramatic jewellery or a scarf to add sparkle / colour. I would add heels rather than biker boots.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 18-Dec-14 15:24:17

I think elf is right and it's about pairing a decent pair of jeans with a tunic top. Those jeans look ok but of course it depends how they feel/fit you etc.

I've actually seen some nice tops in h&m but I think it really depends on what's in when you go.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 18-Dec-14 15:30:23

Phase Eight have some lovely wrap evening dresses you can wear to hide the tummy like this massive bargain at £24!!

m.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/phase-eight//fixed-wrap-dress/201805690

But I've also come on to slap you with a big wet fish <slap!!!> for being so anti-you. I appreciate that you're much bigger than you normally are but in the realm of other humans grin you are still slightly smaller than average, will definitely be completely normal looking, and there will be people there who are average size and still fatter than you. I hope you have a wonderful time - walk tall and smile, you will look fabulous

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 18-Dec-14 15:32:35

That's a fab dress laurie smile

JubJubBirds Thu 18-Dec-14 15:37:50

I've had a few gyne issues that have left me with a pregnant style tummy to get to grips with so I feel your pain.

My go to is black jeans&top + a beautiful big scarf (hide the tummy) and good grooming (shoes, hair, makeup). I'm sure you'll look stunning and have a fab time. smile

Tanaqui Thu 18-Dec-14 15:44:55

I think jeans and a tunic might make you feel fat (even though at 5'5 and a size 14 you are not)- I would go for a short skirt, opaques and biker boots or ankle boots depending on your style- have a look at the outfit on the sequin skirt thread?

frumpy79 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:49:12

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Laurie - that dress is fab but unfortunately sold out in size 14. I do know I'm not that big in the scheme of things - unfortunately I just feel like a whale next to the other women who'll be there tomorrow night at the best of times, even when I was a size 8 a few years ago I was the biggest of all of us by some margin! However, wet fish slap accepted and I will do my shopping with a more positive attitude tomorrow wink

Sounds like maybe I need to do some jeans shopping then - I bought these just because they were high waisted but they feel like maternity trousers! Some of the COS tops look lovely and I can imagine would be dressed up easily with a nice necklace or something.

Of course I can also just avoid going to the bar all evening so that my stomach stays below table level and no one can see it anyway grin

frumpy79 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:50:26

ooh, a different opinion while I was typing! Thanks for the suggestion Tanaqui, I will take a look at that thread and see if inspiration strikes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now