Talk

Advanced search

can I wear the same dress?

(9 Posts)
onetwoflea Thu 18-Dec-14 13:50:15

Hi, my husband has just been made boss of his department, and we are going to a dinner tonight where I planned to wear my fab red dress, which is expensive and makes a great impression, which I feel is exactly what I need on the first social. BUT I've just been told his deputy's wife is wearing the same colour and length dress. I've no idea of the style. The thing is, I don't really want to change what I'm wearing, as my alternatives are not as nice. I have plain black or very summery pink as an alternative and I don't have the time or money to go out this afternoon and buy another dress. Would it look odd if I wear the same colour? I'm hoping that red is such a common colour that lots of people will wear it, and it won't just look as if we are competing!

FauxFox Thu 18-Dec-14 13:51:49

Wear it. It's extremely unlikely her dress is the exact same one and red is always popular at this time of year.

GooodMythicalMorning Thu 18-Dec-14 13:52:35

I'd just wear it. You'll probably pick another dress the same colour as someone elses but not as nice otherwise.

dexter73 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:54:11

I would wear it. You wouldn't think twice about it if it was a black dress.

onetwoflea Thu 18-Dec-14 13:55:00

thanks. you've given me confidence to brave it out!!!!

toptrumps1 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:57:09

Unless it is the actually the same dress, I wouldn't worry. There are many shades of red and the dress could be any number of different styles even if the length is the same. Wear some statement jewellery/shoes/bag to make a distinction if that would make you feel more comfortable, but personally I wouldn't worry. Red is hugely popular at this time of year.

Also, is it just you two couples going, sitting in a room alone? Mingled in with lots of other people, even at different tables two women wearing red dresses will really not stand out as much as you think.

Have a lovely time.

onetwoflea Thu 18-Dec-14 14:00:24

no idea of format, lots of people going, never met any of them before, should all be mingling I expect - thanks for dress vote

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Dec-14 14:05:14

Wear it. Your dh is the boss! Anyway, it's Christmas, long red dresses are pretty popular party wear.

OneLittleLady Thu 18-Dec-14 14:18:41

i'd wear it. it's very unlikely she will be wearing the exact same dress. As already said, red is a very popular choice at this time of year so brave it out and wear it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now