Talk

Advanced search

If you have to be semi-smart for work what do you wear?

(15 Posts)
Onetwothreebanana Thu 18-Dec-14 12:45:54

Started a new job and my wardrobe feels too formal and frumpy.

In my old job I had to wear suits or smart dress with blazer jacket, tights and high heels. Think very formal /smart.

I feel over-dressed for my new job. Everyone else still dresses smartly, but in a much more trendy / relaxed style. How can I master this look?

Think I might start with some smart / casual ankle length trousers and leather loafers....

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 18-Dec-14 15:14:12

Cardigans instead of jackets?
Funky accessories?
More casual tops with trousers?
Ankle/knee length boots?

Lweji Thu 18-Dec-14 15:16:33

I'd use the same sort of clothes that they are using and you like, then.

BlueEyedWonder Thu 18-Dec-14 19:18:28

Cigarette pants or a pencil skirt
Fitted shirt or slim fit merino jumper
Ankle boots or pointy heels

BlairWaldorfHeadBand Thu 18-Dec-14 19:20:58

Treggings
Leggings
Tea dresses
Skater dresses
Long jumpers
Ankle boots
Chunky knits

callamia Thu 18-Dec-14 20:16:02

Today, a silk top, skinny jeans and a tweed blazer. It's smart enough.

Thurlow Thu 18-Dec-14 20:21:35

You can still wear the smart dresses, but put nice cardigans and flats with them? That's generally how I dress. And then maybe get a good pair o cigarette pants to wear with the blazers.

RaisingSteam Thu 18-Dec-14 20:37:57

Google for business casual, our place is like that (design office)
Having said that for the men they just wear suit trousers and a dull shirt without a tie.

- more interesting colours
- tailored trousers or skirts with fine knits, silk blouses, flat or interesting shoes or smart boots
- blazer rather than matching suit
- more interesting jewellery/accessories, opaque tights
- slightly more relaxed dresses although I don't feel too floaty/flowery is very professional.

I would not wear jeans except on dress down Friday when I wear new looking dark blue ones. Sorry but I wouldn't wear chunky knits or tunic/leggings outfits, but it depends on the job of course.

Floisme Thu 18-Dec-14 22:26:28

I just mix something smart with something casual e.g. jeans or tube skirt with a jacket, a pencil skirt with a sweatshirt, a dress with a leather jacket and biker boots and so on.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 19-Dec-14 10:36:07

I used to wear skinny jeans and a shirt or blouse.
Or a tube skirt with a vest type top.
Or a knee length dress with tights.
Shoes wise I wore converse trainers (which were acceptable but not air max type trainers) or brogues/pumps.
In winter it was the same with a cardigan or plain knit jumper on top.
Generally if something has a collar it will look smarter.
I always had full make up and my hair done unlike my colleague who looked like she didn't even brush hers, was naked faced despite actually, really needing a bit of slap and wore a furry, sack-like tunic.

tumbletumble Fri 19-Dec-14 10:40:35

I have the same issue OP - used to wear suits for my old job but would feel over dressed now. At the moment I'm mainly wearing black or navy trousers or skirt with a nice top, but I feel the need to branch out a bit!

kaykayred Fri 19-Dec-14 12:03:03

Try and work around what you already have.

Say for instance you used to wear a back/navy pencil skirt suit with a matching jacket and a shirt and heels.

Instead wear the same pencil skirt, but with a cream jumper and ballet flats.

Wear the jacket over a plain simple top (even a good quality t shirt) with dark slim fit jeans and kitten heels.

Or say you had a suit dress that you used to wear with a matching jacket. Wear the same dress with a nice cardigan instead of the jacket. Wear the jacket as above, or with a tube skirt in a different but otherwise neutral-ish colour (say the jacket is navy, go for a burgundy red skirt).

Depending on HOW relaxed it is, you could even get away with dark slim fit or skinny jeans, with an untucked shirt and jacket, and then converse (but a plain pair, not like leopard print or anything!) or your old heels.

NeverFreezeTurkeys Fri 19-Dec-14 12:42:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RojaGato Fri 19-Dec-14 16:32:45

Shift dress with cashmere cardigan over shoulders when I want to feel like a hitchcock heroine.

Cigarette pants or palazzo pants or pencil skirts with boat neck or shell tops.

A sheer long line long sleeve knit over either a shift dress or trousers/skirt plus sleeveless top in same colour as bottom can look really elegant.

Look for details on shift dress like a drape neck or kick pleats at the back.

bettykt Sat 20-Dec-14 10:18:35

Have you checked out Belinda's workwear edit blog, she's also on Pinterest and Instagram. She teams a faux leather skirt with merino sweaters and pointy flats - a great look.

Belinda's workwear edit blog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now