Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to argan oil?

(7 Posts)
ImogenQuy Thu 18-Dec-14 08:22:48

I've been using a few drops of argan oil on my face overnight, and two or three times a week on my hair. It seems to be working really well - my skin looks much better and more even - but I don't much like the smell! Can anyone recommend an alternative? I have oily skin and hair if that's relevant.

RojaGato Thu 18-Dec-14 08:49:47

Know what you mean abotu argan oil. I really like it;s effects but the smell is a bit weird. Occasionally manage a deep condition on hair with it but couldn;t use it everyday

Jojoba oil is the oil closest to the natural oil sin your skin, so it works well and pretty much doesn't smell of anything.

Rosehip oil is good for healing marks/scars and restoring elasticity- it is quite a deep colour though so best to dilute 50/50 (jojoba is good for that).

Mix of olive and avocado is good for giving a smooth sheen and glow.

Macadamia oil is pretty close to argan in effect with a much lighter & more pleasant smell.

Cameilla is pretty nice too, great for radiance- btw it's an ingredient in a lot of chanel face creams. I find the texture a bit odd on it's own, not unpleasant just unexpected, so tend to blend with jojoba and or rosehip

Few drops of carrot seed oil added to any of these will be good for skin- 5-10 drops per 50ml oil should do, adds a slightly spicy smell. It's very nourishing plus loads of antioxidants.

Fushi and Akoma Skincare both reliable suppliers, Fushi is fancier, Akoma is better priced. akoma do kaolin lcay too, which is great mixed with water or rosewater as diy mud mask. You get a huge bag from them cheap as chips too.

purpleapple1234 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:42:47

Lots of great information. I much prefer using these oils to fancy cosme tics. I believe that they are much more effective too.

ImogenQuy Thu 18-Dec-14 21:14:41

Thanks, RojaGato, that's really helpful. I like the sound of rosehip as I have one or two old acne scars.

ChlorinePerfume Thu 18-Dec-14 21:16:08

Where do you get the rosehip oil from please. I think I got it from Holland and Barrett but did not see it in there the other day.

Thank you.

ImogenQuy Thu 18-Dec-14 21:18:07

This site looks promising - it's one of the companies RojaGato recommended.

www.akomaskincare.co.uk/

purpleapple1234 Fri 19-Dec-14 21:11:04

Rosehip oil can be awkward to get in the uk. Holland and Barrett are one option. You may be lucky in TK-Max, an independent health food shop or from the internet. My sister brings it back from Australia where it is really popular and common. I love it. I want to try carrot seed oil and frankincense next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now