Talk

Advanced search

If you were going to give your self a total makeover...

(29 Posts)
Karbea Wed 17-Dec-14 15:21:37

Where would you start?

I'm thinking hair, make up, nails, pedi, waxing etc, diet, exercise, clothes (maybe a shopping day at a dept store) colour analysis, maybe Botox... Anything I've missed???

I really need a total overhaul and hopefully going to do this in the new year, but not sure what to start with.

radiobedhead Wed 17-Dec-14 15:31:32

I'd get all the body stuff sorted - hair removal, pedicure, manicure, eye brow shape etc. You could easily do all of that yourself. Buy good tweezers and an eyebrow tinting kit which will last months. But if you could afford it, a nice day at a spa would be good in the new year! All that plus a massage and stuff. Then use your tweezers and other stuff to maintain throughout the year.

I'd also get a good colour and cut and buy a decent hairdryer. Be realistic about how much time you're going to spend styling it everyday and cut accordingly! Some salons do a deal - block book 10 colours and get two free or something. So again, if you have the money book in your appointment for the year upfront.

If you're not already cleansing properly, resolve to do that in 2015. Also resolve to have more fruit and veg and if you're not already doing loads of exercise perhaps resolve to walk more. You could get yourself a Fitbit to track your steps and activity levels.

I personally HATE sales shopping so I'd leave all the crap on the sale rails and buy a few key bits that you need. You could do personal shopping at John Lewis, Selfridges, Debenhams or somewhere. I'd set a budget and give them a decent brief.

I wouldn't ever do Botox so I'd skip that. Same with colour analysis.

That's about it really. Mostly just decent maintenance but start the year as you mean to go on. And be realistic about what you can keep up!

scarletforya Wed 17-Dec-14 15:33:47

A few quid spent on teeth can make all the difference. Whitening etc, can take years off people!

radiobedhead Wed 17-Dec-14 15:37:21

scarelet - what kind of teeth whitening would you recommend? Is there a good at home kit? I'm forever seeing one hour laser whitening offered on Groupon/Wowcher etc.

Karbea Wed 17-Dec-14 15:44:26

Arrr yes teeth, forgot about them!
Also want to get all my moles checked out.
I hate sales too so thinking of waiting till the new season bits come in which I think is feb and sept...

scarletforya Wed 17-Dec-14 17:26:46

I haven't had laser, it's supposed to be good! I had whitening trays made and bought little syringes of 10% peroxide from a cosmetic dentist a few years ago.

It worked great...!

scarletforya Wed 17-Dec-14 17:28:38

Oops, they were €150 for four syringes. Each one would take you up maybe five shades whiter. I'm sorry but I can't remember what they were called....

pinkfrocks Wed 17-Dec-14 17:33:35

weight ( healthy eating long term)
exercise
hair- cut and colour
teeth- whitening and braces if needed
make up done in store- eg Bobbi Brown
weekly manicure and pedicure at home
colour analysis - but the books and do at home with a friend you trust
buy clothes that fit and don't hide your assets - too many people wear baggy clothes
make an effort every day to use make up and dress in clothes that are flattering, add accessories etc.

Botox- etc. Am in favour if you need a few tiny tweaks that can take years off- but not massive amount of work as can look false.

pinkfrocks Wed 17-Dec-14 17:35:05

OP teeth- go to the dentists. I did and got trays. You need them to check your gums etc and then you can buy extra syringes and do at home long term.

MiconiumHappens Wed 17-Dec-14 17:52:42

I would (have) prioritize instant results over longer term ones.

Hair - one of the best instant improvements, fresh color that never has any roots or greys is best achieved by keeping it simple or doing yourself.

Make up - clean fresh look. Definitely not caked on. You Tube videos or Pinterest excellent for tips.

Fake tan - instant boost. Not for everyone I know (and not popular on MN!) but I recommend sublime bronze Loriel or St Tropez but always use a mit! The poundland one is fine.

Clothes - organize outfits and jewelry try to look put together but not too match matchy again Pinterest really good for ideas how to achieve it. Invest in good boots/shoes/coats/jeans fill in the rest with cheaper items.

Improve figure (if needed) - cut out bread, find fun exercise as you'll stick to it, get a buddy to go too.

Do whatever the hell makes ya happy smile happy people are gorgeous! Enjoy improving yourself, but remember be kind to yourself, you are your own worst critic, be careful what you tell yourself about you smile

BlueEyedWonder Wed 17-Dec-14 18:38:17

I would start a healthy diet in January. I use a my fitness pal app which allows me to keep track of eating sensibly.
The other things I'd do at the start of January are a cut and colour, eyebrow threading, manicure and pedicure.
I wouldn't buy any clothes in January. Wait until the sales tat is gone and focus on a few key spring pieces. I'm planning on a raincoat and breton in February.

Skinheadmermaid Wed 17-Dec-14 23:44:17

Well if money was no object I would have a whole body lift and liopsuction and get rid of all the loose skin and leftover doughy fat deposits i have.
I'd also like my teeth whitened and laser on my captain hook beard.

Karbea Thu 18-Dec-14 14:53:40

I don't think I need a total body lift, but I think I'll invest in a little Botox and filler I think.

Is bobbi brown the best for updating make up?

radiobedhead Thu 18-Dec-14 15:17:32

Shop around for make up. I like Bobbi brown lipsticks but hate their foundation.

Karbea Thu 18-Dec-14 15:20:17

Do you think somewhere like spacenk is best then! Where they can try different things?

chipsandpeas Thu 18-Dec-14 20:34:53

botox and filler done right can take years off your face imo
i havent had filler but get botox done approx every 6 months - takes the edge off my forhead lines and my 11's but not noticeable ,makes me look fresher
next time i get botox i am going to be asking about filler but wary as its a lot more expensive and higher chance of bruising (never had bruising with botox) if i did get it done then it would have to be at the beginning of some time off work

ArthurSHappeyChristmas Thu 18-Dec-14 21:33:15

Every month I am tackling something. I started 3 months ago.

Month 1 Hair... Now go to hairdressers every 8 weeks and I'm cut and coloured.
Month 2 Nails... Stopped biting and now do them myself and they look great.
Month 3 Clothes... I've been updating my wardrobe.

About to enter month 4 which is a make up over haul.

Basically I've gone from part time to full time and I'm spending by extra money on sorting myself out.

Karbea Thu 18-Dec-14 22:22:58

arthur yes is sort of what I'm thinking.
Have you written a list of everything you are going to tackle.

I've had Botox and fillers before.

Imscarlet Thu 18-Dec-14 22:27:28

I was only thinking about this the other day on an 'If I won the lottery' type daydream. The first thing I would do is get a set of veneers. The second would be liposuction - the hell with dieting. I think I would get a nose job too. After that I would holiday enough to have a healthy glow to my skin. Hypnosis to give up nail biting and regular shellac. Laser hair removal ALL OVER MY BODY. Microdermabrasion on my face. A personal shopper/ stylist to look after my wardrobe, hairstylist and makeup artist on call. I would really love to know what I would look like.

ArthurSHappeyChristmas Thu 18-Dec-14 23:22:57

I'm don't think I'd go down the Botox route.
I think I'm just going for the 'take care of myself and my appearance' more approach.
Month 5 is to get fit... I don't need to lose much weight but I'm very unfit. In going to do the nhs couch to 5k podcast thing.

I think after having my DS I stopped caring a little. And I'm beginning to care again.

I want some funky glasses do that's probably month 6. I normally wear contacts.

And I think I'm going to start getting my eyebrows done at some point too. Maybe I should do that before the glasses?

minipie Thu 18-Dec-14 23:34:42

Teeth whitening

Hair - cut and colour

Exercise - personal trainer if I could afford it. Or join a weekly class if not.

Skin - I have acne, so would get that properly looked at.

Makeup - ideally once the skin was sorted or more sorted. I'd go to Space NK/MAC/one of the better dept stores and have a consultation.

I don't think I'd do Botox, but I'd definitely look into laser resurfacing, peels and retinol treatments.

Feet - I need to see a very good and slightly brutal chiropodist.

Holiday somewhere sunny - makes me look so much better, and a lot more enjoyable than waxing grin

minipie Thu 18-Dec-14 23:35:21

Oh, you asked how to do teeth whitening. I'd recommend buying some Crest Whitestrips and using those. Cheap and effective.

coffeenut Fri 19-Dec-14 03:09:47

I'd get botox and get my eyes lasered.
And something to improve my rosacea/skin texture - peels? fraxel?

HoundoftheBaskervilles Fri 19-Dec-14 03:35:44

What really bothers you & how old are you? A complete overhaul on that scale is a massive thing.

What about your appearance is making you unhappy? Start there and work from that. There are many generic 'things' you can do, but they may not be the things for you. You have a massive list there, is it better to pick a thing you do like & work from there? There are beautiful things about us all, a 'fix list' of things we hate is very negative.

So, what do you do well? What do you like about your appearance & personality? Take that & make it shine, polish the best bits up, make them sing, if you can do that people are drawn to you, you become attractive, your faults diminish. Don't gloss over the cracks, embrace them, I have terrible teeth & grey hair, do I let them bother me? NO, I play on my fantastic bone structure, mad hair and green eyes & the confidence shines through, that's what people love.

I could get myself 'fixed' but it wouldn't be me.

Great clothes help, buy the best you can afford, don't look at fashion, look at what suits you & never buy synthetics, buy great shoes - they make you feel fantastic.

Love yourself, cherish yourself, don't mess with yourself, whack a bit of mascara & lipstick on, buy great foundation, stride out, have fun, don't worry.

kaykayblue Fri 19-Dec-14 10:05:53

I'd get a personal trainer!

I don't have a problem doing sport, and tend to enjoy it once I've started, but have little motivation to start up a video, or actually start a run. A personal trainer would sort that!

Aside from that I would update some of the make up I love but haven't been able to replace recently - eye brow pencil, good liquid blush, great quality concealer. Probably splash out on a bit of laura mercier as well.

I'd also go out and buy a few more shoes, as I pretty much only have three pairs that I wear at the moment, and two of those are falling apart! I hate heels though, so this wouldn't exactly break the bank.

I would love to get my colours done, but would probably end up ignoring what they said unless it fell into the colours I already love. More of a curiosity thing really.

Aside from that, I think I would buy a few more basics in my wardrobe, but in a better quality. Some good quality vest tops for example. A couple of lovely winter dresses. A gorgeous cream jumper.

Happy with my hair (except the length but can't do anything about that), happy with my teeth, skin is fine, don't give a shit about pedicures, and I'm 30, so botox is a while off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now