Talk

Advanced search

Everstick Dental Bridges

(11 Posts)
TollgateDebs Wed 17-Dec-14 13:06:32

I hope I have the right section - having broken my front teeth as a small child, I had nothing but trouble and eventually one of the teeth was removed. I managed to hold onto the Maryland Bridge for 20 years (!) and it has now failed and need to be replaced. Has anyone had an Everstick bridge fitted? How has it performed? I am keen not to do anything to drill, or damage, another tooth anywhere and believe this is the least damaging approach. Anyone had experience - any dentists with a view? Thank you.

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 13:14:53

Hi, I'm a dentist and I do these occasionally. They're technically very tough!! Take me a while and make my eyes hurt!!

Basically, using a premise fibre, we construct the substructure of a bridge by bonding the fibre to the teeth either side and then create a tooth on the top out of the White filling material.

Advantages are that its immediate in that the lab don't make it. The fibre is pretty robust once it's set. You can adjust the shade of the tooth easily as it's not made from porcelain, the dentist constructs it in situ and it's easy to repair (easier than a Maryland which would probably have to go to a lab).

I haven't drilled the front teeth I have used to construct them. The back teeth I have removed existing fillings and incorporated the fibre into new fillings. It makes it a bit stronger.

Disadvantages I suppose, it's probably expensive? How much have you been quoted? It's technique sensitive and is relatively new technology.

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 13:16:08

There's a video on YouTube btw illustrating how they are done.

TollgateDebs Wed 17-Dec-14 13:44:04

Many thanks for the replies; these are really useful.

I'm based in North Hampshire and I've been quoted one price of £750, with another dentist offering to do this for £400.

I can see that it needs some skill to do and although expensive for me, I see this on a 'cost per day' basis, as long as it lasts. Having injured my teeth as a child I have never bitten into food front teeth on, so probably why the existing bridge managed to survive so long!

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 13:47:59

I think £400 is cheap tbh! The fibre costs £80 a pack on its own but it depends how hard it would be to do really. The last one I did took about 2 hours so for that amount, the profit margin would be tiny.

TollgateDebs Wed 17-Dec-14 13:56:38

Mrsmorton, thank you for the information. Just watched the Youtube, so know that it requires work and it is not the money that's the issue, but whether it does the job. Do you know anyone in the North Hampshire / West Berkshire area you could recommend?

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 14:29:47

I will rack my brains, I'm certain I know soneone down there but the name escapes me.

ToddleWaddle Wed 17-Dec-14 15:51:14

Have you considered an implant to replace the missing tooth?

TollgateDebs Wed 17-Dec-14 17:52:23

An implant is too expensive and having investigated this option, not my choice. Having had surgery on the jaw above the tooth (Dentist made a complete and utter cockup - long story) when I had an absess on the tooth as a teenager, not sure I want anyone implanting anything. I had nerve damage as a result and it hurt alot and for a long time, so less is more in my book with teeth!

TollgateDebs Wed 17-Dec-14 17:53:44

Mrsmorton - any name would be a good place to start and I appreciate the brain time.

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 18:24:31

The guy I know is In Kent. He taught on the course where i learnt how to do this. He's excellent but know Kent isn't the area you asked for.

His name is Jansie Van Rensberg and he works at Jade Dental.

I knew it was in there somewhere but just not quite the right location sorry OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now