Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy joining me in a no poo hair trial?

(52 Posts)
Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:08:58

My dull, straight, greasy hair and itchy reactions to shampoo is driving me mad and this was suggested to me.

I havent washed my hair since Saturday and feels greasy but doesn't look too bad if I tie it back so think I'll get some dry shampoo today and keep goinggoing but need some moral support that I'm not just a manky cow grin

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Tue 16-Dec-14 10:10:11

Ummm...

That's manky. Sorry.

<wanders off to wash hair>

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:12:13

To be fair I feel the same but I don't feel much better with a scabby, scratched scalp and spots all over my face/neck where shampoos are reacting.

Can't do any harm grin

arlagirl Tue 16-Dec-14 10:12:16

No sorry. You're on your own.
And probably will be if you don't wash your hair smile

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:13:21

Its a well known cleansing method you know, I'm not mad lol

I first read about it on here and my hair dresser thinks it might do me good wink

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Tue 16-Dec-14 10:15:10

It's not a well known cleansing method. Your hair won't clean itself, it will just get to a point that it can't possibly look any worse.

Chandon Tue 16-Dec-14 10:16:19

My son did the no poo method, for 2 months. Without telling me. At 12 he just ditched shampoo, but occasionally used conditioner.

I only noticed as his head had a smell that just would not budge, even if I sent him up to shower.

Then we got told off at the hairdresser that his hair was so dirty it had a film on it, and needed 3 washes. That is when he confessed about not actually using shampoo.

You'll get a smelly head.

And hair with a film of grease/dirt on it.

Can you use a special shampoo for sensitive scalps? We found Eucerin to be very good.

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:17:17

There are tons of threads on here about it...

SunshineAndShadows Tue 16-Dec-14 10:17:45

Its worth checking for allergies to shampoos ingredients www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10164452/Warning-over-epidemic-of-skin-allergies-from-chemical-in-cosmetics-and-household-products.html

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:18:24

Hmm does it contain SLS or fragrances? I can't use anything with either in sad

You've just put me right off lol

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 16-Dec-14 10:19:52

It's no wonder his hair had a greasy film on it if he was using conditioner but not shampoo Chandon.

I've heard of the no poo thing op but I'm not brave enough to try it.

InfinitySeven Tue 16-Dec-14 10:20:04

It's lies. There is no possible way that it isn't.

Hair isn't capable of cleaning itself. It will just build up a film, and eventually, it won't be able to get any worse and you'll get used to how it looks.

Did your hairdresser not have any helpful suggestions, like allergen shampoos ?

If you washed your hair on Saturday and it's already at the stage of only being passable three days later, you really won't be able to keep this up long without it looking really strange.

And if you use dry shampoo, you may as well have washed your hair anyway.

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Tue 16-Dec-14 10:21:12

Then there's tons of threads with incorrect information on them!

Sorry OP, but your hair will just have a coating of sweat and grease on it.

I had a friend who used to wash her hair with normal soap. It didn't shine, but it was always clean. Could you try that instead?

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:21:54

Infinity I've tried most things, she suggested the baking soda/vinegar thing as a natural substitute and says that she's known a few to have success with the no poo method.

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:23:28

I can only use Goats milk soap on my skin.

That made my hair greasy within hours.

gaggiagirl Tue 16-Dec-14 10:24:21

My dm dsis and dbil all use the no poo method it works for them. They all have short hair though.

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:24:27

Lots of the threads are about how great its worked for them.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Tue 16-Dec-14 10:25:10

Shampoo itself isn't the problem but the sulfates in over 95% of shampoo is the problem. Dry shampoo is just shit and is only good for a day or two. Switch to sulfate free shampoo (I like Leo Bancroft or try holland and Barrett if you are struggling).

alpacasosoftsnowgentlyfalling Tue 16-Dec-14 10:27:19

Oh dear god you will STINK!

A DF of mine did this - she was all chirpy about how lovely it was etc
She reeked and her hair looked like she had poured chip fat on it .

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Tue 16-Dec-14 10:28:06

Gaggiagirl- how do they deal with the smell?

You sweat from your head - that's stale sweat in your hair!

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:29:24

I don't stink thank you very much.

alpacasosoftsnowgentlyfalling Tue 16-Dec-14 10:30:25

Its the smell of grease (sebum ) and sweat mixed together that is utterly rank .
They will probably say they don't smell but they do!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 16-Dec-14 10:31:17

go to a site like naturisimo or my pure. Co. UK and get vegan shampoo. It's fab. no allergens.

MostAmused Tue 16-Dec-14 10:33:27

I've done a version of no poo for a year and a half now. I wash my hair with soapnut liquid and condition with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar. I love it. Can go 4 days without having to wash it and it looks exactly the same as on the first wash day. Then I either rinse with water or use soapnuts again. I wouldn't recommend using just water but only because it didn't work for me. If you do a search on facebook you should find the no poo hair care forum. Has lots of handy tips.

Sulfate free etc is much less hassle than using soapnuts. But I can make a £10 1kg bag last for about a year so it's more economical to me.

Squtternutbaush Tue 16-Dec-14 10:33:29

So I'm lying about being smelly confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now