Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about bras.

(121 Posts)
CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 10:44:52

I've just ditched two bras, and I need to replace them. One black and one white.
I can't remember when I last bought a new one, or where is best to get them from. I'm a 34b (measured about a year ago) and can spend up to about £25 unless you tell me I can't get anything for that

Where shall I go? I'm in a large city, so most shops are here.

DrewOB Mon 15-Dec-14 10:56:47

marks, debenhams, john lewis for tough wearing.
34B, you can find nice ones from newlook and h&M but won't be as long wearing.

leedy Mon 15-Dec-14 10:57:26

Do not, under any circumstances, get measured in M&S (their actual bras are all right, though not great for my particular shape, but their measuring approach is wildly wrong, normally ends up with a too big back and a too small cup).

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 10:58:06

I've got new look ones at the moment, but wondered if I needed to start being more grown up in my bra-buying.

Thanks.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 10:59:19

I got measured in JL I think, whilst bridesmaid dress shopping, and I've been this size for ages so I trust that.

mrssmith79 Mon 15-Dec-14 11:01:00

Are you absolutely sure you're a 34b op? Have you been across to the bra intervention threads?? grin
For a good, well fitting everyday bra I've always found the Panache Tango reliable and super comfy.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 11:02:22

Yep. I'm definitely positive. begins to question self

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 11:03:10

I'm not going to get measured, that isn't an option, so I'm going to go with that size anyway!

Furball Mon 15-Dec-14 11:11:22

YY - measure yourself as per mn bra guru blog

and post your sizes here for mn guru to tell you what size you should be looking for smile

believe in the measure!

mrssmith79 Mon 15-Dec-14 11:11:33

But you don't have to go anywhere to get measured - you just do it yourself, post the numbers and wait for one of the wise ladies on the thread to revolutionize your life wink..
Ah, go on smile.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 11:12:36

Ah that's ok. I can measure myself. But I'm shopping at the moment, so you'll all have to wait till I get home.

Superherosidekick Mon 15-Dec-14 12:21:27

Most people who think they are a 34B are actually around a 30D/DD. Please do not buy another bra until you have checked against the link posted above. It will change your life I promise.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 12:24:34

Really? I'd be surprised if I was a d. I don't look like a d.

japaneseplum Mon 15-Dec-14 12:29:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Mon 15-Dec-14 12:34:43

Ah, but you possibly think you don't look like a D because for years M&S and such shops, plus the media have been telling us that a D is a huge bra size. It's not, because D means nothing without the band size before it therefore it is completely impossible to say whether a D cup is a big size or a small size smile

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 12:35:30

Ok. The wide back bit is 35 inches and the round the boob bit is 41 inches.

don't judge me on my fat back

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 12:37:08

If I've got that right, it means I'm a 34D?

treaclesoda Mon 15-Dec-14 12:38:48

Sounds more like 34DD or E than 34B. Were your old bras comfortable? Did you bulge out of them?

japaneseplum Mon 15-Dec-14 12:39:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Mon 15-Dec-14 12:41:05

Oops, Japanese is right. I counted on my fingers and got it wrong blush 34DD is likely to be too small, E or F is more likely

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 12:41:39

I've just tried on a current bra. Yes, bit bulgy, and the fat back sort of stretches a bra. I never see other people in bras so I don't know what it should look like.

This is a revelation I tell you!

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 15-Dec-14 12:42:10

Wow. Just. Wow.

treaclesoda Mon 15-Dec-14 12:45:53

Freya make some lovely bras in that size. Also Cleo and Panache.

If your breasts sit quite high on your body, Panache can be uncomfortable as the wires come up quite high and stab you under the arm. They are excellent bras, just not suited to some people's shape. Same with other brands, they can all have their own particular design quirks that mean they don't work for some people.

But it is not a difficult size to buy, if you go online or have a decent sized Debenhams or suchlike nearby.

ThePrincessWhoSatOnTheSprout Mon 15-Dec-14 12:49:13

Years ago, I had a friend who swore blind she was a 34B. She was blatantly not! I took her to get measured - she was a 30F!

treaclesoda Mon 15-Dec-14 12:50:16

here are some pictures of how it should and shouldn't fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now