Talk

Advanced search

Chapped lips

(45 Posts)
Caitmous Sat 13-Dec-14 16:04:38

I've had chapped lips for ages. No balm or salve seems to be helping. Any suggestions?

snowaccidentprone Sat 13-Dec-14 16:11:56

I use this in the unique pink. I also have one of the other punks and the red, and have lovely soft lips.

Cheesymonster Sat 13-Dec-14 16:13:50

this is excellent.

BlairBass Sat 13-Dec-14 16:17:54

Carmel or pawpaw ointment. Good luck!

CheersMedea Sat 13-Dec-14 16:20:34

Lypsyl Original is still the absolute best. It seems more intense than Nivea or other chap sticks. You want the original blue one though - not the cherry or other flavours.

Highly highly recommend.

www.amazon.co.uk/Lypsyl-Original/dp/B0019EYCK0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418487538&sr=8-4&keywords=lypsyl+original

readyforno2 Sat 13-Dec-14 16:33:53

Carmex is brilliant. As is blisteze.
Also try drinking a lot more water. I used to suffer terribly from cracked lips and for the last year have been drinking at least 3l water a day and I've barely used lip balm this winter

Caitmous Sat 13-Dec-14 16:34:17

Thanks all. Will give them a whirl.

Does anyone know what causes it? Is it a sign of dehydration etc? Anything I can do to prevent rather than cure?

I don't wear lipstick as that tends to chap my lips. Could it be an allergic reaction to something?

Caitmous Sat 13-Dec-14 16:34:54

Cross-posted Ready - ta smile

readyforno2 Sat 13-Dec-14 16:51:14

smile No bother!

meltedmonterayjack Sat 13-Dec-14 18:01:14

I agree that pawpaw ointment (which my dd recommended and I got online) can really hit the spot when other stuff is failing. I had a problem with sore, chapped, red lips for ages and then changed my toothpaste to sensodyne which didn't have sodium lauryl sulphate in. That solved the problem. Also I can't use any mouthwashes even 'sensitive' ones as they do the same thing and make my mouth sting. So definitely would recommend changing your toothpaste.

Notonaschoolnight Sat 13-Dec-14 18:19:31

What cheesy said by a mile I can put it on before I leave for work and it's still on when I get back 4 hours later

XiCi Sat 13-Dec-14 19:13:34

Another one that thinks nuxe is brilliant. The body shop lip butters are a cheaper alternative.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-Dec-14 19:29:45

the nuxe one is pricey but the jar is huge
i have a special lipbrush just for the nuxe smile

really lovely , i apply at night too

Spidergirl8 Sat 13-Dec-14 19:38:58

I too have this problem, I've also tried all the recommendations that have been posted thus far. None have really offered and true remedy.

What I can say is this; toothpaste with SLS seems to compound the problem. Since switching to Sensodyne original my lips are a lot less dry. Drinking any less than 1 litre of water a day makes them worse. Winter, cold weather and drying effects of hearing etc also make them worse. Any lip balm with petroleum jelly and /or parrafin wax in it creates havoc.

The best lip balms I've used are ones that are natural, like the paw paw one and also used a manuka honey one which was good.

Spidergirl8 Sat 13-Dec-14 19:39:39

Drying effects of heating, not hearing!

burnishedsilver Sat 13-Dec-14 19:49:48

Drink more water.
I had ds at the dr for something else and he said looking at his lips that he needed to drink more.

LikeSilver Sat 13-Dec-14 19:53:44

Lansinoh. Can't beat it.

AWimbaWay Sat 13-Dec-14 20:03:03

Was about to say Lansinoh too, only thing that works for me.

Allinafankle Sat 13-Dec-14 20:13:40

Blisteze for me. I have just returned from Munich and the combination of bitterly cold outside and toasty warm inside has played havoc with my lips, causing them to bleed and making it difficult to eat they were so sore. All I had with me was a bog standard lip balm which did nothing. On return I got out my trusty Blisteze and I'm almost fixed!

comeonpilgrim Sat 13-Dec-14 21:08:59

Despite having about 100 lip balms scattered around my house/car/work, the thing that works best if my lips are badly chapped is diprobase. It's boring though and doesn't smell nice.

JustSpeakSense Sat 13-Dec-14 21:13:48

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. I use it for everything, it is worth it's weight in gold!

linky

crazypenguin Sat 13-Dec-14 21:27:45

I use lanolin. It's the only one that doesn't rub off really quickly on me.

crazypenguin Sat 13-Dec-14 21:28:37

Bah! Lanolips! It does contain medical grade lanolin though... grin

ShakyTheStork Sat 13-Dec-14 21:30:00

I agree with the others who recommend Lansinoh. It is fantastic for chapped lips and when you get a sore nose from blowing it too much.

HappyGirlNow Sat 13-Dec-14 21:34:50

Forget balm and salve. I've had extremely dry lips since I was little, not helped by a habit of picking at them. Nothing helped until I tried lotions/hand creams instead of the traditional lip moisturising products.. So that's what I do now - regular exfoliation and Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream.. And my lips are in fantastic condition if I do say so myself! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now