Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

hair help please!

(10 Posts)
saveahorserideacowboy Sat 13-Dec-14 16:01:42

Right so here's the story! Been bleach blonde for years. Hair cut in a messy bob at the mo. Have fair, pale freckly skin english rose i guess, I'm 27.
Bit fed up wanted a change plus struggling with paying for highlights every 5 weeks. Asked to go red at hairdressers blush. (I know, i know its high maintenance!)
Spent a while going through it all with me and advised more of an auburn copper red to suit my fair skin which would be both easier to go back lighter if I didn't like it and can go darker/more red if I do like it.

She did it, I love it. Advised it would fade pretty quick with being so blonde and each time I get it done the fade would be less so. So it's been a week and its faded pretty badly in a couple of washes. My plan was to be honest to redye at home and just get it cut at salon to save pennies.
Any advice on what dye to buy to re colour for xmas parties next week? Have attached a pic of hair at the mo.

Thanks for any advice!! grin

saveahorserideacowboy Sat 13-Dec-14 16:14:22

Meant to add I bought loreal feria in hot chilli red on a whim earlier and thank fook I looked online at reviews before I slapped it on my bonce. Says it turns hair almost black shock so I need some good recommendations!Thanks fsmile

snowaccidentprone Sat 13-Dec-14 16:23:35

Red fades quickly, as I believe the colour molecules are quite large, so they don't attach into the hair as well as other colours, so wash out and fade more easily.

Don't wash your hair as often?

snowaccidentprone Sat 13-Dec-14 16:23:58

Thought that might be compete bollocks!

saveahorserideacowboy Sat 13-Dec-14 16:27:02

Absolutely I am aware of that and am trying to not wash as often but unfortunately I do have to wash it every few days as it gets v greasy. It has faded in just a couple of washes and since I can't afford to go back to the hair dressers every few weeks wanted advice on doing it myself and which dye. smile

Milmingebag Sat 13-Dec-14 16:50:06

He problem isn't the red dye but the fact you are layering it over extremely porous, bleached hair.

My advice would be to use a semi perm to top up the colour regularly. I think your hair would look better if you went more coppery brown. Highlands chestnut by country colours is a gorgeous reddy chestnut without the burgundy hue so many have. It's really cheap too.

saveahorserideacowboy Sat 13-Dec-14 17:03:51

Yes mingebag think you are totally right. Just looked that haircolour up and it looks lovely. Is it fairly gentle? Am also aiming to get my hair in a better condition after years of bleaching. smile

gingerbreadmam Sat 13-Dec-14 17:15:19

if its only been a week and you used a reputable salon contact them first. they are right that it fades quickly but you should have got longer than a week out of it.

they should have also put something on it before the dye to prevent it washing off so quickly (cant remember the name now).

i cant see pics on phone but loreals casting creme dyes are good and superdrugs r too. i would also see if u can buy shampoo for red hair to keep it a bit brighter.

Milmingebag Sat 13-Dec-14 21:26:45

Yes it is gentle and will look glossy because the blond will peek through after a couple of washes and the effect will be like shimmery highlights.

Castings is very harsh in comparison I have found- it has left my hair strawlike after using although it does have a good range of colours if you want warm toned hair.

saveahorserideacowboy Mon 15-Dec-14 10:10:36

So I went to superdrug and bought a couple of their vibrance dyes on offer in coppery/chestnut red shades. Wapped one on last night and rather pleased with result bit more red than expected but I like it and hair very soft and shiny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now