Talk

Advanced search

is Orla Kiely nice or naff?

(14 Posts)
kiwidreamer Fri 12-Dec-14 20:21:43

I'm thinking about an across body bag, an every day sling it on and go bag and OK bags are on Achica today...

Achica

But I don't want to spend that kind of money if OK is now considered naff, I quite like the bird prints

Coconutjoe Fri 12-Dec-14 21:41:52

If you like it go with it.

Pagwatch Fri 12-Dec-14 21:43:48

I Wouldn't say naff.
But predictable/over done maybe?
I wouldn't but if you like it...

TheHappinessTrap Fri 12-Dec-14 22:09:38

I love it. Just tried to join achica but the site says " oops..." when I click on ok bags!

motleymop Fri 12-Dec-14 22:11:28

I agree with pag - I think it's overdone but not naff, as such. But then most things are done to death!

WipsGlitter Fri 12-Dec-14 22:45:44

I have one, but not an oilcloth one. It is much admired.

Lifesalemon Fri 12-Dec-14 23:29:58

i have her acorn bathroom accessories and I really love the design, I would love a bag, probably not in the same pattern as my toothbrush holder though grin

Corygal Fri 12-Dec-14 23:37:10

I think it's had it a bit by now, although I do like the designs.

Dancingyogi Sat 13-Dec-14 06:58:02

I have one if her bags but it's 60's minimalist, no patterns and no one would guess it's Orla kiely. I liked some of her pattern stuff but would never buy it as it's everywhere and I'm fed up looking at it.

rootypigsinblankets Sat 13-Dec-14 07:01:21

She's certainly making the most of things - I was in Target (cheap huge chain store) here in LA the other day and she's done a line with them - suitcases, yoga mats, water bottles hmm

But I agree with Coconut, if you love it, get it, if you don't, don't.

ZaraW Sat 13-Dec-14 07:12:54

It's a very distinctive pattern so if you love it and won't get bored of it go for it.

TaytoCrisp Sat 13-Dec-14 07:17:32

Agree with others that it's not naff but just everywhere. The bird pattern is very nice though.

BlueEyedWonder Sat 13-Dec-14 07:19:47

Years ago I had one of the oil cloth midi sling bags and used it to death. They're a great shape for everyday use.
I think they are pretty ubiquitous these days but so are satchel bags which is what I'm currently using day to day.
OK bags are probably not what the cool cats carry these days but I wouldn't let that stop me getting another.

FrugalFashionista Sat 13-Dec-14 11:46:05

They looked fresh and anarchic circa 2003, now just a fairly mainstream style choice that might be a bit past its peak. But 1970s revival is really big on runways right now (though more focused on plainer shapes, solid color and leather) so I think it's not going away yet.

Nothing is naff per se - it's the way you wear and present it.
(Remember how Kartell, Jeff Koons and Anya Hindmarch have made really kitschy items ultra stylish and covetable.)

I have a friend who can wear Orla Kiely and other 1970s/1970d retro stuff really well - she looks like herself, it's her signature style, and it will look good on her forever because her style choices are consistent and derived from her personality and values. And another who can take the busiest Cath Kidston pattern and make it look really fresh pairing it with really understated, plain high-quality basics.

If the bird pattern speaks to you and seems to fit seamlessly into who and what you are, it will look fantastic on you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now