Talk

Advanced search

Dye my own lashes?

(13 Posts)
JenniMoo Fri 12-Dec-14 18:33:56

I sure I read on here about people dying their own lashes, and bought a kit. It only has instructions for brows and IIRC that's because they no longer recommend you do your lashes.
So does anyone do their own? If so how do you go about it? Do you need an assistant?

perplexedpirate Fri 12-Dec-14 21:13:06

I do mine all the time. You might need two applications to get a good effect and do be careful cos it does sting if it goes in your eye.
If you are doing your eyebrows too the the love of God wash it off thoroughly or they go blue. blush

CrazyOldBagLady Fri 12-Dec-14 21:17:49

I once did mine. It said to use a cotton bud tip to coat the line underneath your lashes with a thin coat of vaseline. I found that it didn't take well, I don't think I left it on long enough.

I think you may be using the same brand that I use for my eyebrows OP, the same product used to be brows and lashes but now is just for brows. Maybe they had too many people burning their eyeballs and complaining. For what it's worth the suggested time for brows is always too short for me as well.

CrazyOldBagLady Fri 12-Dec-14 21:18:21

Wow I've left mine on for a while and they went too dark, but never blue :D

JenniMoo Fri 12-Dec-14 21:25:50

Thanks for the tips.
To put it on the lashes do I keep the eye open like mascara or close it?

CrazyOldBagLady Fri 12-Dec-14 21:29:40

Keep them open I believe. You don't want to do anything that would make the dye run into your eye, and if you close them it might seep!

perplexedpirate Fri 12-Dec-14 22:15:30

Eyes open, deffo.
I dyed my brows once, and thought I'd washed it off. I went out to meet my brother, went for a few drinks and then to our friends house.
It was only when I went to the bathroom I saw two navy blue slugs over my eyes.
'D' bro had watch them develop over time and never said a word. angry

iwantginsoakedXmas Fri 12-Dec-14 22:20:36

I dye my lashes in summer.

And brows but they seem to 'take' quickly and can look scarily dark..

I keep my eyes open and apply with a cotton bud.

It stings like buggery if it gets in your eyes but I have had it done in a salon before and it got in my eyes then.

perplexedpirate Fri 12-Dec-14 22:23:42

Yep, got to say I always get better than when I've gone to a salon. I do all my own waxing too. Last time I went to a 'professional' she burned my eyelid.

perplexedpirate Fri 12-Dec-14 22:24:31

Btw, Iwant, is your name a Divine Comedy reference?

SoonMeansNever Fri 12-Dec-14 22:37:09

I dye mine as they go blond at the tips even tho I'm v dark brown haired, I have a couple of boxes of Dyelash, must be a few years old now but work fine.

I wash my face (to remove oils on lashes), put a little moisturiser on my upper and lower lids (to protect skin from errant dye) then apply mixture for 10 mins.
Remove with cotton buds, wash face again to get any residue off, done.

I mentioned dying eyelashes to a friend last week and she looked at me like I'd grown another head - is it really weird?
She thought it a crazy thing to do, yet is blond and uses mascara every day - I'd have thought dye would be ideal for her! confused

JenniMoo Sat 13-Dec-14 09:16:47

I like them tinted at a salon but it's so much money / time / faff I don't do it. Fingers crossed for a good result: in going to try it later on...

JenniMoo Sat 13-Dec-14 19:47:20

It went fine, no stinging. I hunk I could have left them slightly longer but I was being on the safe side.
I did find it difficult to get it on the hairs with the mascara wand type thing and a cotton bud, but perhaps it gets easier with practice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now