Talk

Advanced search

I'm too old for lycra...

(9 Posts)
StyleCrisis Fri 12-Dec-14 12:43:29

Please bear with me, dear MNers. I'm a 35-year-old woman whose children have just emerged from the toddler stage. I haven't bought any clothes to speak of since I was in my 20s, and now that I want to again, I'm totally lost.

In my 20s, really tight stuff suited me. Back then, I would wear really tight lycra dresses/tops (think Jane Norman or Topshop) with chunky boots. I'm 5'6", slim (size 8) with big boobs, sort of curvy on the hips/bum but with smallish waist and flattish tummy.
Now, all the clothes online and in shops look alien to me. I don't really like tunic-y, baggy boho things, but I'd look a right tit in my old gear. How can I wear tightish things (which is all I know really) now I'm in my later 30s?
I've got some parties to go to.

Thank you, style experts flowers

50ShadesOfSummer Fri 12-Dec-14 14:21:33

If you don't like baggy, tunic-y, boho things, don't wear them because you feel you have to due to being a certain age. I have nearly 10 years on you and don't like that sort of thing.

I still wear tight-ish stuff but probably go for thicker, higher quality material than I did when I was younger. This may only be because I can afford it more.

OTOH, I may well look a "right tit"! grin

StyleCrisis Fri 12-Dec-14 14:37:24

Thanks for the reply, 50Shades.

I think my problem is that I don't really know where to get clothes with this thicker, higher quality material (without spending loads of money). I want tight but classy, rather than (as I used to favour) tight and tarty.
Where do you shop?

50ShadesOfSummer Fri 12-Dec-14 15:12:36

I shop everywhere and anywhere! I think what I meant is I am a bit more careful about what I buy. Tights tend to be 80 or 100 denier rather than 40 or less, and I chuck them out as soon as they look a little past their best. I search for the thicker leggings rather than grabbing the first pair.

As for tight stuff, I bought some American Apparel disco pants and love them. Very flattering, suck you in. (They may be going out of fashion not but I'm hanging on). Tried on a similar pair from New Look and they were nowhere near as good. Similarly, I tried on loads of leather and faux leather leggings before finding a pair that suited - and they were quite cheap in TK Maxx.

I'm sure you didn't look tarty! I'm sure you won't look that way now.

southeastastra Fri 12-Dec-14 15:18:38

i just got a dress from baukjen which are lyrca but thicker and better quality,

RaspberryBeret34 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:24:25

I'm 35 and pretty much same as you (but only 5;3" alas!). I struggle to find flattering clothes tbh - I need clothes that show off my figure but I'm very slightly more lumpy than I was before having DS so need tight clothes that make me look smooth rather than bumpy! I get quite a few bits from oasis, French connection, warehouse, H&M (slightly hit and miss). I have a good top from H&M that has a cowl neck and ruching so although it is tight and really shows my figure, it doesn't look too much.

Fitted knitwear is good, different fabrics that still have lycra in like part cotton part lycra, skater type dresses work quite well as they don't look too tight due to flaring at the bottom, peplum tops the same (something like this: www.hm.com/gb/product/60375?article=60375-C). Anything that breaks up the look of clothes being tight ALL over seems to work on me at least. Skinny jeans and a slightly looser top for example (but still fitted, not floaty tunicy!).

Also tight lace tops that can be worn with a vest underneath are nice as the texture of the lace works well. Any tightish top can be worn with a vest under which makes it look smoother and better imo. Also I accept it looks better if I wear very slightly looser tops, so still fitted but not super tight.

tiokiko Fri 12-Dec-14 15:31:39

Yes, second Baukjen.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 12-Dec-14 22:05:50

For a start 35 is not "later 30s". grin

I am later 30s 40 and wear tight clothes. I hate draughty, gappy things and like to be encased and cosy. I agree that the material needs to be thicker and higher quality. I also think the trick is to make sure that you have something a little looser on one half of your body. For example, cigarette pants with a tight fitting vest top and then add a floaty blouse or kimono. Or a fitted dress (like the Baukjen ones mentioned) and a big silk scarf. Or a tight v-neck top and opaque tights with a flared skirt.

RojaGato Sat 13-Dec-14 01:18:29

Third Baukjen, sale should be coming up soon.

Have had some nice things from Mint Velvet too, sort of All Saints in style but a bit more feminine and cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now