Talk

Advanced search

Will a babyliss big hair help? If not what will....

(28 Posts)
You4coffee Thu 11-Dec-14 22:28:53

Start a new job soon and thinking how on earth will we all get out of the house in the morning. Have been thinking about a big hair thingy for a long time. Would it work if I washed my hair in the evening, blow dried or maybe left to dry naturally and then used the big hair in the morning on dry hair?

I have straight normalish hair but it does tend to be a bit flat if i don't blow dry it. Its strange in that i have a lot of hair so gives the appearance of being thick but each strand is actually quite fine.

Or is there some other over priced device? Or other tips to get out of the house on time and looking (semi) professional.

Thanks all.

burnishedsilver Thu 11-Dec-14 22:55:45

It does little or nothing on dry hair. I find it very good but think of it more as a hairdryer.

IsawJimmykissingSantaClaus Thu 11-Dec-14 22:57:31

I love mine! I'm completely cack handed with any hair styling stuff but I can do this grin I haven't tried it on dry hair so can't help there, but when I'm in a rush I blow dry my hair to almost dry (just rough drying) then use the BBH.

Fabulassie Fri 12-Dec-14 12:25:46

If you're looking to wash your hair in the shower the night before to save time in the morning, then perhaps that would work if you misted your hair with water to dampen it slightly in the morning before styling.

xmascrackered Fri 12-Dec-14 13:02:10

Watching with interest. Bought one of these as a Christmas gift and hoping it was a good decision.

MissWimpyDimple Fri 12-Dec-14 13:20:56

I have one and it's taken me a year to get to grips with how to use it on my hair.

I have chin Length fine hair and I use it to roll the ends under and give son volume on the top.

I do then run the straighteners over it too otherwise it puffs up a little too much!

Have tried it on dry hair- doesn't do much...

almondcakes Fri 12-Dec-14 15:34:13

I have straight hair that goes a bit flat and it did nothing at all to my hair.

Petal02 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:37:54

Agree with Fabulassie.

Chandon Fri 12-Dec-14 19:01:17

Yes, dampen hair a bit

VikkiMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Dec-14 10:11:45

Hi! We suspected that BaByliss Big Hair Talk might crop up around Christmas time again this year! SO we decided to make a nifty little How-To video – this is using the smaller barrel (42mm) which works just right for shoulder-length hair that's not too thick. Let us know if you want to see any more styling tips!

HellKitty Mon 29-Dec-14 10:18:44

Just bulk buy Batiste dry shampoo for morning 'oomph'.

ALittleFaith Mon 29-Dec-14 14:24:40

It works for me! I wash my hair at night (toddler makes mornings tricky!). I rough dry it and then dry with the BBH and it stays nice for the morning.

Sunna Mon 29-Dec-14 14:26:32

It shouldn't ever be used on wet hair, it say so in the instructions. Works like a charm on my hair which sounds very like yours, OP. Lots of it but each hair very fine.

JuneFromBethesda Mon 29-Dec-14 14:55:09

I watched that video last night as I've been deliberating over getting a BBH for a while. I didn't think it added much if any volume to her hair at all! Maybe it was just that the lighting wasn't great ...

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 29-Dec-14 15:03:17

I use mine on dry hair (fine, just below shoulder length hair) and it definitely works. Gives it some oomph and makes it look generally more swishy and polished. I thought the instructions said not to use on wet hair??

Quitethewoodsman Mon 29-Dec-14 15:04:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slalomsuki Mon 29-Dec-14 15:22:10

Fantastic. Best hair gadget I have ever bought

tethersend Mon 29-Dec-14 15:24:52

I use mine on dry hair every morning.

My hair is fine and naturally curly, and it makes my hair look sleeker/blow dried and adds volume.

Greengardenpixie Mon 29-Dec-14 16:40:54

I thought that video clip was really dissapointing tbh!! I agree with the post that said that they didnt think it added any volume!!! I agree. It didnt look anything different from a normal blow dry tbh...and it took her 25 minutes to achieve that???

Botanicbaby Mon 29-Dec-14 18:56:38

I have long, fine, straight hair. The BBH does nothing for me. I hate it and find it a bit of a faff.

Greengardenpixie Mon 29-Dec-14 19:59:28

It looks a faff and im not convinced about the spinning. Would be worried it trapped my hair...thats probably just paranoia though!!

IsawJimmykissingSantaClaus Mon 29-Dec-14 21:15:49

It isn't a faff, truly. It doesn't take me 25 mins either. 10 mins at a push. Hair isn't wet but isn't dry either. You just use the BBH when your hair is almost dry (80%). If you do trap your hair you just press the button to spin it the opposite way and your hair is released. I found this youtube clip helpful.

Marmaladecat1 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:21:16

So does it not add volume then as video?
I think my expectations were too high judging by the video

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 29-Dec-14 21:36:24

I love mine.
Wash in the evening, use it on dry hair in the morning, then some Aveda volumising powder on the roots and some T&G stuff to separate the ends.

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 29-Dec-14 21:36:54

Oh and somethings don't even wash hair in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now