Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with this coat?

(16 Posts)
Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 15:56:04

My aunt has given me a stunning full length fur coat. She only wore it once about 10 years ago, its black/brown and just beautiful.

But.....it isnt really shaped at the waist so it just goes straight up and down and the style of it and the fact that it is a little bit too big for me means that it looks like a dressing gown if I do it up!

I was thinking of moving the buttons on it so it is pulled in further, or somehow create more waist definition but I dont know how to!

Any ideas? I can post a photo if anyone wants to see it.

Twinklestein Wed 10-Dec-14 16:08:06

Fur, are you sure?

It's rather 80s prostitute and you may end up covered in red paint.

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 16:10:28

Its not real!

Does anyone wear real fur anymore?

Didnt occur to me to say it was fake, I thought that was a given, obviously not!

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Wed 10-Dec-14 16:13:21

That 80's look is big at the moment, coats go straight down from the shoulders. I would like to see a pic!

Twinklestein Wed 10-Dec-14 16:21:53

Yeah in London certainly. It sort of was out and then it crept back in. Plus Russian, Italian and Arab women never knew it went out...

What about having it taken up to make a teddy coat? I had a really nice faux fur teddy coat from Agnes B years ago.

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 16:24:43

They're not great pictures as the light in here isnt very good, will try and take a couple more tomorrow outside as they may come out better.

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 16:31:59

www.amazon.com/Mink-Natural-Ranch-Female-Length/dp/B00756UDQ8

Its very similar to this, but not real and the collar is sticking up rather than laying flat, but the cut and length are the same.

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 16:34:58

I dont really want to shorten it tbh, it feels so gorgeous and luxurious at full length. Its also "luxury" faux fur rather than fun faux fur (according to the guardian article linked to in another thread) so I would rather not muck about with it in a serious way.

I just want to give some waist definition, although having gone through hundreds of images on google, there is a certain dressing gowny look to most full length furs. Presumably the fact that I would be wearing it out with a posh outfit on would prove that it isnt!

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Wed 10-Dec-14 16:41:55

Hmmm! I'd say the problem isn't the drape, it's the lack of a lapel that's making it look dated. Have you got an alterations shop near you that could take a look?

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 16:47:39

I quite like the lack of lapel although that does contribute to the dressing gown look. I think it could be folded down but I might have to put a couple of stiches in to hold it down as it wasnt made like that.

Will have a play...

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Wed 10-Dec-14 16:49:28

I think you have to leave it as it is if you're not willing to shorten it. It's sort of classic and wouldn't look right with darting at the waist, it would look even more dressing gown-y.

If you're hip enough, wear it over distressed boyfriend jeans rolled up, high heels and a white t-shirt, maybe some big dangly earrings and go walkin' grin Otherwise save it for a night at the opera or something. It may come back into fashion, I personally would shorten it to wear now though I think, just to above the knee. Or I'd wear it as a dressing gown and order my family around like a countess

Twinklestein Wed 10-Dec-14 16:54:21

I don't think there's much you can do to give it waist definition bar having it remade, and I'm not sure that it would work anyway, faux fur is so thick.

I have a beautiful cream faux fur jacket and it certainly doesn't have a waist.

If you move the buttons over it will make you look more bulky down the front, although if you're really slim that might not matter.

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 16:58:09

I think I am just going to wear it and to hell with what anyone thinks! Going to the pub tonight, gonna wear it there grin

RojaGato Wed 10-Dec-14 18:04:48

Enjoy the pub. You could try wearing it on your shoulders rather than properly IYSWIM. Depends if the pub tolerates that kind of whimsy.

Or a really wide leather belt over it. There could be the russian peasant effect there, but maybe if you belt it tight enough, stand the collar up and have the top half open in a v and pull the hips out a bit the proportions and hip/waist could be ok.

atticusclaw Wed 10-Dec-14 18:09:06

Are you sure its faux fur?

I have a real fur coat my grandmother gave me. Its similar in style in that it has no shaping through the waist and is also big on me so I have the same issue with it. It is far too heavy though to have altered.

I am a child of the eighties and so for me "fur is bad". However I think you'll find attitudes have changed significantly and it is now seen on the catwalks again. I was looking at ski jackets at the weekend and there are a number with real fur trim.

Bogeyface Wed 10-Dec-14 19:13:55

It is definitely fake, it has a label with the legend 85% acrylic (or something!) in it.

I have to admit that I have no issue with vintage fur. There was a time when fur was acceptable and destroying it wont help the animals that died, but I do have an issue with new fur. There is just no need for animals to die for a fashion item, especially when there are some really good quality faux fur items available and at a fraction of the cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now