Talk

Advanced search

Home hair colour

(5 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Wed 10-Dec-14 10:17:31

I think I want to dye my hair, but can't afford a hairdressers or have the time so am thinking of doing it at home, My hair is a horrible dark mousey blond with a lovely grey streak in, I think it is too dark for my colouring so want to go lighter. Are there any good colours that won't leave it with a solid 'blocky' colour ? I am thinking more a caramel/dark blond so nothing to dramatic.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 10-Dec-14 12:18:51

Not much help, but I'll bump this for you anyway.

I use a home dye (permenant) I've gone from Boots own brand to Superdrugs own brand.
99% of the dyes I have bought have come out darker than I thought.
Grey hair 'grabs' colour but fades quicker (especially red dye is notorious to fade)

What length is your hair?
What condition is it in?
Can you be doing with all the root touch-ups?
Have you got any colour on at the moment?

I used Warm Medium Brown (Boots) which is quite dark on me.
Then I had my hair cut (Pixie ) and I use a Superdrug Natural Golden Copper Brown which goes a mid brown on me.

I could go lighter because my hair is short, if it goes Pete Tong I'd over-dye with a darker shade and it'll get cut out next time.

Best bet is buy a couple of shades and do a strand test to see how they'll look. Superdrug are 2 for £6 , so not a huge outlay, but buying loads will work out ££.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 10-Dec-14 12:20:05

I was going to suggest a semi permenant but that won't give you lighter colour.

curlyclaz13 Wed 10-Dec-14 12:25:44

My hair is graduated from nape of my neck to jaw and is in good condition with no colour on at the moment. I don't mind doing roots/recolouring at home on a fairly regular basis it is having time to sit at the hairdressers that is the problem (work full time and have 18 mo ds with childcare on day off when I can go to the hairdresser !)

flux500 Wed 10-Dec-14 12:34:03

just suggesting a mobile hairdresser. I pay about 30% of what it would be in the salon and she comes to me evenings after i'm home from work or weekends, to suit me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now