Talk

Advanced search

I've had my 2 orthodontist appointments not sure what to do now

(11 Posts)
Notonaschoolnight Tue 09-Dec-14 20:16:19

Appointment 1 with saleswoman at dentist = I'd have to pay £100 for dentist consultation, £1800 for six month smile & £100 for a retainer

Appointment 2 with a proper orthodontist who really looked at my teeth he advised it would cost about £1800 for a fixed brace there would be a proper consultation didn't say that there would be another cost for that and he also said I'd need a permanent fixed retainer as well as a removable one

I want to find out if they are an additional cost, I presume they will be, and how much?

I've discounted the six month smile it's either do it properly or don't do it at all right now I just don't know it's such a lot of money and the wonkiness isn't really bad when I look at myself straight on

Also this fixed retainer I didn't know there was such a thing, anyone know what they're like?

Gem124 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:13:53

That sounds like a heck of a lot of money to spend if you're teeth don't bother you too much, but of you hate them then it'll be worth every penny x

emsyj Tue 09-Dec-14 21:24:31

I had my fixed brace on my top teeth removed on Monday and the fixed retainer fitted (still got tracks on my lower teeth for another 8 weeks). The fixed retainer is a little metal bar that's glued to the back of my 4 front teeth.

For me it has been worth every penny. I didn't think my teeth were that wonky until my dentist suggested I should go to the orthodontist as one of them was crossed over and he said it would get worse and could lead to decay as they would be harder to keep clean etc. Now I look in the mirror and can't believe the difference!!! It's fabulous.

IndiansInTheLobby Tue 09-Dec-14 21:29:56

I've got 6 month smile brace at the moment. I've had it on for less than 2 months and the difference is huge already. Mines costing 2300 but I hate my teeth. Having a brace has been much more of a pain in the arse than I thought it would be, but it will be worth it. I've lost 9lb since having it fitted as eating has been hard.

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 09-Dec-14 21:51:55

I had fixed braces on 10 years ago for 2 years and have had a fixed retainer on since. As someone else said it's a thin wire glued to the front teeth (6 in my case). The bottom one I don't notice at all, the top one I do but I just notice it, it's not annoying. Flossing IS a pain but hey ho. I've had to have one part reglued but nothing else. My teeth were AWFUL and having the treatment was the best money I ever spent.

AMerryScot Tue 09-Dec-14 21:56:07

A fixed retainer (aka bonded or permanent) is a wire behind your teeth. The downside is that you have to use superfloss and/or TP brushes to clean, but otherwise it they are very easy.

I've had one for 12 years.

nicelyneurotic Tue 09-Dec-14 22:00:44

Can I ask where you are based? I had a consultation recently and was quoted £3,000 for uppers only.

My teeth are quite straight, I have a small gap and one tooth which is slightly wonky.

I think £1,800 sounds very reasonable.

Notonaschoolnight Wed 10-Dec-14 08:16:46

Thank you all for replying I'm in the NE dare I say it have never flossed how on earth do you manage that with the wire in the way?

Ujjayi Wed 10-Dec-14 08:58:27

OP I had upper fixed braces followed by fixed retainer & paid similar fee to you. The cost included all consultations, adjustments, removable retainers for end stage treatment & night retainer. Why not call & check with the receptionist?

Personally, I would go with the orthodontist. I'm not a fan of having to consult with sales people for this kind of treatment.

HollyJollyXmas Wed 10-Dec-14 09:09:06

I did the same as you, OP. Saw a swanky cosmetic dentist and an orthodontist for consultations.

I went with the orthodontist because he didn't do a hard sell or make miraculous promises. He was also local to me - this starts to matter down the line when you are going in every fortnight to have the brace tweaked and if you want the wire thingie changed on clear braces (they stain easily and my orthodontist changed them for free with a couple of days notice. I went in probably once every 2-3 weeks for this).

I went for a fixed brace. Hated it for weeks, but got used to it eventually. It was 2k all-in, including free changing of said stained wire thingie (sorry, cant recall proper name) and retainers at the end.

It took 18 months all in all and I was allowed to pay in installments. I barely noticed the cost over that period of time.

So, so worth it.

IndiansInTheLobby Wed 10-Dec-14 10:49:18

Whilst I've had my brace on I've had an excellent hygienist who has shown me exactly how to floss and clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now