Talk

Advanced search

1st date-what to wear

(8 Posts)
Sissylagos Tue 09-Dec-14 12:16:14

Appealing to all for thoughts on what I should wear for a first date in a couple of weeks time.

We're meeting in a bar Saturday lunchtime and I had in mind my top shop skinny jeans with a pale pink cowl top and black suede courts. But I've been reading that any sort of trousers on a first date is silly. But that sounds silly to me, help?

I'm 41, 5ft 9, size 10/12. So nervous and want to look good but comfortable, usual style understated cool, no bling for me.

Thank you for any help.

Tsoukalosy Tue 09-Dec-14 12:20:28

Sounds lovely. Understated yet practical. I have worn jeans on all dates so i have not heard of the trouser rule but sounds very silly . Good luck on your date! smile

WerewolfBarMitzvah Tue 09-Dec-14 12:20:55

Ive never heard the No Trousers First Date Rule.
Important thing is to be comfy and confident so you can concentrate on being you and getting to know your date.
Your outfit sounds good to me.
Hope you have fun!

Riverland Tue 09-Dec-14 12:28:34

No trousers on a first date?! Crazy idea.

Your outfit sounds good! Hope you have fun.
X

RaspberryBeret34 Tue 09-Dec-14 12:37:05

Sounds perfect and almost exactly what'd wear on a first date. In fact, I have a first date tonight and am wearing black skinnies, black ankle boots and a cowl neck top with butterflies on it smile. I think it is best to go with something close to your usual style as you don't want to have to be dressing up to the nines for every (potential) subsequent date. Enjoy it!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Tue 09-Dec-14 12:52:13

Your outfit sounds perfect. If your date asks why you aren't wearing a skirt like a proper lady, you can come back and chastise us.

lurkingfromhome Tue 09-Dec-14 14:18:01

Really, I am quite curious about where you read that it was unacceptable to wear trousers on a first date! Was it one of those How to Be a Proper Lady things from the 1950s that do the rounds sometimes? Your outfit sounds totally perfect and exactly what I would wear. Hope you have a lovely time!

Sissylagos Tue 09-Dec-14 19:16:48

Oh Ladies,

Thank you all so much. I scanned a bunch of sites on what to wear... and on more than a few I read about skirts being the sartorial yes on a 1st date. Just once and I wouldn't be here, but having crossed the same guidance from a number of stylists began to doubt my choice.

Anyway I forgot to add the skinnies are black. Yep its me so I'm going with it thanks to you all for the props. RaspberryBeret34, hope you are having a great time!

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now