Talk

Advanced search

What do you eat /drink / do to look better ?

(21 Posts)
Ellisisland Mon 08-Dec-14 19:09:03

Just that really. Have had a horrible year of stress, bereavement, miscarriage and other crap and now look about 10 years older than I am and my skin looks really rough. I know getting more sleep would help but DS and being 33 weeks pregnant aren't helping that ! So was wondering what I could change about my diet or behaviours to look and feel better ? Any tips appreciated.

chanie44 Mon 08-Dec-14 19:30:00

Sorry to hear about your year. The most obvious tip is to drink lots of water.

Queenofknickers Mon 08-Dec-14 19:33:29

Sorry about your crap year sad - I've had similar and was looking AWFUL but had a spray tan for my 40th and can't believe the difference a bit of colour made. Plus had my hair dyed to cover the grey tonnes of white and that helped. I've also been walking nearly every day and I think that has made me look and feel a bit better.

ladeedad Mon 08-Dec-14 19:36:25

Herbal teas, fake tan (sparingly), lots of veg, and massages!

Hope your year gets so much better flowers

Purplehonesty Mon 08-Dec-14 19:45:48

Water water water and cut down on carbs and that helps a LOT
But I can't keep the carbs thing up for long so I stick with the water thing.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 08-Dec-14 20:01:53

I look & feel better when I do/get the following,

Drink water.

Regular exercise.

Diet low high in fresh food and low in processed stuff, sugar & salt.

Decent sleep.

Minimise caffeine.

I don't always manage all of them. I love cake & coffee.

Water, sleep, fresh air and exercise. And washing my hair every day.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 08-Dec-14 20:13:06

At 33 weeks pregnant with the year you've had, be kind to yourself. You may look like crap now, but in 2015 you will be a slim and happy goddess with a cuddly newborn, the best accessory!

In the next few weeks - drink lots of water if you can and avoid too much sugar. Eat as much as you want but try to stick to protein and complex carbs and fruit, rather than sugary or salty snacks. Cheese and oatcakes is my go-to pregnancy snack/light meal. And yes to washing your hair and putting on a little makeup every day. Maybe go and get your nails done as a little treat?

Not long to go x

hauntedhenry Mon 08-Dec-14 20:18:49

Lots of water, cut down on caffeine, drink green tea, eat lots of veg and healthy fats, do regular exercise and stand up straight! Treat yourself to a facial, and be kind to yourself. You've had a hard year flowers

Ellisisland Tue 09-Dec-14 07:03:02

Thanks for all the kind words flowers

Definitely need to up the water intake so will do that. Going for walks is a good idea. I live in a town with nice walks and rivers that I used to take DS too to feed the ducks so would be nice to do that again.

MakeMeWarm - not sure about the goddess part grin but good idea with the oatcakes and healthy snacks. Will make a list of healthy alternatives to buy with the next shop.

I used to be a make up junkie but barely use it now. Will start putting on some each day as it always did make me feel better. Sounds daft but I think I have forgotten things I like and how to feel good a bit hmm

Thanks again

GaryShitpeas Tue 09-Dec-14 07:09:12

Coconut oil

As a moisturiser, (face and body) bath oil, hair treatment and also eat a teaspoonful a day. I had dc3 8 months ago and didn't get a single stretch mark and I'm sure that's why.

I also drink loads of water and try and eat stuff like oily fish, Brazil nuts etc. I also look and feel better if I eat my "5 a day"

Katie2489 Tue 09-Dec-14 07:16:28

I love to floss my teeth! I can't believe the difference it makes. It takes a few weeks of regular flossing to see the difference but well worth it. Hope these help!

GaryShitpeas Tue 09-Dec-14 09:50:52

yeah flossing is good too, cant believe people don't do it tbh. i've been doing it since i was a child

Lottapianos Tue 09-Dec-14 10:14:59

Sorry to hear you've had such an awful time OP. The best things I've done in terms of looking and feeling better are either free or very cheap - lots have been mentioned by other folk already:

Stay hydrated - so drink lots of water/herbal tea but also cut right back on caffeine and sugar, especially booze

Cut back on sugar, especially booze - believe me, this one bears repeating! No 'low fat' versions of anything, they are full of sugar

Eat real food - lots of fruit and veg - cut back on anything processed

Get as much sleep as you can

Exercise - so very important. Even a brisk walk for half an hour is great.

Eat healthy fats - avocados, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil - every day

Cleanse face properly every day and use a moisturiser that suits your skin. These things absolutely do not have to be expensive - my yearly spend on facial moisturiser is about �20!

ZaraW Tue 09-Dec-14 14:37:23

Green Smoothies I have a nutribullet and I love it, my skin is clearer.
Raw almonds for snacking.
Green tea (loose not tea bags)
lots of water

PeoniesforMissAnnersley Tue 09-Dec-14 14:52:05

drink a big cup of hot water with lemon, first thing in morning and last thing at night. This has made a HUGE difference to my skin, I drink less tea/coffee and it tastes really nice. It also has the comforting feel of a tea/coffee but is totally hydrating.

exercise - walking, tidying, light housework - try not to stay still for long periods of time. Obviously if you're 33 weeks pg you will need to rest more than me as I am not pg!

spf moisturiser, every day. Face, hands, neck.

Sleep!!!! Make sure you're getting enough. Nap if you can/need to.

lurkingfromhome Tue 09-Dec-14 14:59:42

Face mask twice a week, Estee Lauder Advance Night Repair twice a week, Alpha H Liquid Gold twice a week.

Even if alone in the house all day I always wear a little bit of tinted moisturiser, mascara and a bit of lipstick

Hair always maintained. Not that I have daily professional blow-dries or anything but it's always clean, well-conditioned (Lush do a leave-on hair mask that is fab), all grey hairs covered and either freshly blow-dried or up in a neat ponytail.

Nails always done.

Sleep, water, eating well. Fresh air every day, even if only a 10-minute walk. Long soaks in the bath with a good book regularly.

Next year will be better flowers

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 09-Dec-14 15:04:09

I had microdermabrasion recently and my skin looks incredible. It really cheered me up.

You sound depressed. :-( I'm so sorry. Big big big hug xxx

Ellisisland Tue 09-Dec-14 18:14:04

Thanks all

Lotta - good point about processed food. Need to start eating more fresh veg and fruit again.

Zara- actually love Green Tea so will have to start drinking it again.

MissA - have spoken with DH this evening and am going to take my maternity leave earlier than planned so will have a few weeks to rest and sleep whilst DS is still doing his morning nursery sessions and before the baby arrives. Hopefully I will be able to nap and rest myself for a bit !

Lurking - good book in the bath is always a good idea smile thanks for the product recommendations.

Whats- thanks for the hug smile don't feel depressed as such just emotionally and physically drained! Am hoping that starting mat leave earlier and taking the advice here I will start to feel better.

Thanks for all the replies and kind words flowers

Samantha28 Tue 09-Dec-14 18:34:30

Exercise will really help your energy levels and mood. Obviously you will need something light for the rest of your pregnancy and the first 6 weeks postnnatally .

But walking ,swimming and yoga woudl be great now - it's good to exercise during pregnancy ( unless you've ben told otherwise by your doctor or midwife of course )

I hope you feel better soon

RojaGato Tue 09-Dec-14 18:34:35

Sorry you've had such a crap time. Hopefully you are through it now and the relief will start to show.

Practical measures though

General all round health stuff
Exercise
Fresh air
Sleep
Learn to meditate
Omega 3 supplement & vit D supplement
Limit sugar and dairy (latter maybe not best in case of pregnancy/nursng but maybe later, getting a handle on that cured my cystic backne after antibiotics failed. cut it out for 2-3 months, now only have it 2 or 3 times a week and no reoccurrance)
Plenty of greens
Epsom salts in bath

Topical quick fixes
Face oil made from 50% jojoba oil and 50% rosehip oil (Fushi and Akoma Skincare both good suppliers)
Hot oil cleansing method
Clay masks occasionally for a good deep clean (akoma sells the clay powder really cheap, just mix with water or toner and you're golden)
Spritz of rosewater sometimes cos it smells nice and cheers me up
Footspa or foot rub can work wonders just as a general relaxing thing that really shows in the face.
Highlighter - Benefit high beam or sunbeam highlighters or similar - little on the browbone and cheekbone can make a world of difference, especially with a little warm coral or pink blusher. Take 2 seconds.

Good luck and here's to much better 2015!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now