Talk

Advanced search

botox hasn't worked

(15 Posts)
christmaspies Mon 08-Dec-14 15:07:27

I've had 2 lots of botox and one top up within the past 6 weeks and my frown lines are still there. I went to 2 different beauty clinics. Has anyone else experienced this?

Amethyst24 Mon 08-Dec-14 15:12:37

Remember botox treats the underlying muscle, so a crease in the skin will take longer to fade. Can you feel the ridges in the muscle still, or is it just the surface lines you can see?

I would go back to one of the places you've been to - am slightly confused as to why you didn't do that in the first place rather than going elsewhere?

Anyway, give them a call, explain you aren't happy and ask what they suggest you do.

christmaspies Mon 08-Dec-14 15:22:38

I had a top up at the first place but it made no difference and they were going to charge me for more so I went to the second place which was cheaper and I'll go back in a week for a top up at the second place if necessary. I'm not sure whether the creases are just surface lines but I can definitely still frown. However my forehead lines are almost gone so maybe I'm being too impatient.

Amethyst24 Mon 08-Dec-14 15:25:53

My experience has been the opposite - the surface lines take a bit longer to fade even after I can't frown to much. You don't want to be totally immobilised! Was the first place suggesting you needed another area to be done? It sounds a bit dodgy that they wanted to charge you more when they weren't able to achieve the result you wanted.

christmaspies Mon 08-Dec-14 15:47:43

The first place said I probably needed some filler as the botox hadn't worked.

janinlondon Mon 08-Dec-14 15:53:48

Yes it happened to me. I still had complete movement in the muscles causing frowns. They did a top up. Nothing. I was with a large national well known group. They were just not interested.

christmaspies Mon 08-Dec-14 18:47:21

Yes Jan the first one was also a large national well known group

peasandlove Tue 09-Dec-14 05:32:53

I can not totally freeze my frown either. I just had a huge topup and I can still frown enough to make a wee ridge of skin which is what I get the botox to get rid of. I have very strong face muscles apparently hmm

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 09-Dec-14 06:04:53

It may be that botox wasn't suitable for what you wanted doing. Did you go on a recommendation?

The person I go to is pretty, ie brutally honest about when botox will and won't work.

Chumhum Tue 09-Dec-14 07:19:08

Botox doesn't fix frown lines if you can see them when your not frowning. It will stop the movement but not fill in the creases. If you keep doing it eventually the crease will go but I think that takes a year or so. Fillers will fill the crease.

christmaspies Tue 09-Dec-14 20:08:53

Unfortunately it hasn't stopped the frown movement but it has lessened it so maybe I just need more of it

janinlondon Wed 10-Dec-14 12:46:03

I wear frownies at night, and have no frown lines at all for about two hours after taking them off in the morning......so I think it is POSSIBLE for them to be fixed by botox. I just think maybe I needed a lot more of it.

XiCi Wed 10-Dec-14 18:29:37

There are some people for whom botox just doesn't work. If you haven't seen a result after 6 weeks then you won't see any further improvement. It sounds like you may be better with filler. You should go back to where you had the treatment for advice. Did you have a good recommendation for them? The other possibility is that they have only put very low doses in to save themselves money or to make more money from you for a top up. I've had botox in a number of places and never once been charged for follow up top ups, this would ring alarm bells for me.

F4ttyBumBum Wed 10-Dec-14 21:29:28

If the muscle movement has weakened then perhaps larger doses are needed, but I would suggest using a completely different brand of toxin next time. Without seeing you, it is impossible to say with confidence to keep on going for more top ups because you risk getting a frozen and heavy look.

christmaspies Thu 11-Dec-14 13:55:46

I'm going to go for another top up next week and then give up if it doesn't work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now