Talk

Advanced search

Have I been committing fashion faux pas at work?.

(105 Posts)
PeoniesforMissAnnersley Mon 08-Dec-14 08:55:43

Just read the other black tights thread and noticed a lot of hate for black sheer tights. I wear them pretty much every day to work with a grey/black suit. Opaques aren't formal enough and look odd with a suit anyway. Fishnets etc a definite no for work. I do wear nude tights in the summer, but in winter and autumn tend to go for sheer black tights.

So, what is the alternative, because I can't see one!

Waterandtea Mon 08-Dec-14 08:58:29

I wear similar suits and do the same as you (although since reading the hatred on here I do wear nude tights more often year around grin)

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 09:10:55

i think nude
barely black put you bang in 1992

eurochick Mon 08-Dec-14 09:13:02

I'm surprised you think black opaques are not formal enough. I wear them with suits into court and they look very smart. If they don't look right with the outfit, I wear nude tights, never sheer black. I think they look horrible.

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 09:14:01

what chick said

Petal02 Mon 08-Dec-14 09:16:04

I'm afraid sheer black tights are rather last century .....

Elllimam Mon 08-Dec-14 09:17:13

Oops, there goes my interview suit tights sad

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 09:18:47

how about 40 denier as a compromise

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 09:19:21

Voici
www.marksandspencer.com/40-denier-body-sensor-opaque-tights-3-pair-pack/p/p22247976

petitdonkey Mon 08-Dec-14 09:20:18

Can't you wear very fine opaques? I mean the sheerer end of the spectrum rather than thick, wooly ones. I wear these = although they seem expensive I have several pairs and I honestly don't remember when I bought them or ever putting a hole in them. I wear either black or navy. No sheers here I am afraid!

TtipParty Mon 08-Dec-14 09:22:51

I think they look quite nice actually. And I was a teenager in the 90s. Hang on, 90s fashion is well in at the mo, so you should be fine.

HappyGirlNow Mon 08-Dec-14 09:34:30

Nude tights and sheer black tights are both dated and ageing..

Opaques are definitely smart enough for the office..

WillkommenBienvenue Mon 08-Dec-14 09:35:50

Depends on 3 things -

season - nudes only in summer
weight of clothes - solid suits need solid tights, vice versa for light suits,
weight of footwear - light shoes need light tights and hopefully footwear reflects weight of clothes as well.

Also depends on what you have left in the drawer of course.

Bluestocking Mon 08-Dec-14 09:39:06

The thing is, a black or grey suit is in no way a fashion-forward item, so what does it matter if you wear sheer black/nearly black tights with it?
I think black opaques look really weird with a suit and "worky" shoes.
The worst, though, is those nude hoof shoes ... shudder.

lurkingaround Mon 08-Dec-14 09:46:54

Oh god no to sheer black. They look all wrong. In a few years they'll prob be back in fashion but atm no no no.

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 09:47:17

hoof shoes?

LoadsaBlusher Mon 08-Dec-14 09:53:37

I wear black opaques to work, last time I have worn anything other was about 1999 when I had ' American Tan' nude tights smile

Also wear black opaques to dress down playsuits / shorts etc for winter - opaques and black boots Instead of bare legs / sandals.

A few good pairs of black opaque 80 den tights extends my wardrobe from summer to winter.

Bluestocking Mon 08-Dec-14 10:04:40

The original nude hoof shoe.

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 10:05:19

Nude tights are dated and ageing?!

And what are hoof shoes?

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 10:06:25

Cross post.

I have nude shoes (although with a much smaller platform than the ones in the picture) and I wouldn't consider them hoof shoes!

december12 Mon 08-Dec-14 10:08:43

I agree opaques aren't at all right with a suit. I think fishnets can be good with a well fitting pencil skirt and heels but your top needs to be demure.

My only objection to sheer black tights is the way they show every little snag, so for everyday I resort to 40 denier opaques (which aren't really opaque) in a smooth finish.

Those so determined against sheer black are showing their age and not moving with the times. Yes, they were very 1990s but the young people love the 1990s. Sheer black right back on trend now (apparently)

Heels99 Mon 08-Dec-14 10:09:10

I wear opaque a with my suits or even bare legs in summer.

PeoniesforMissAnnersley Mon 08-Dec-14 10:10:53

blue grin there's no way I could wear those shoes to work they look like something a hooker would wear!

I really disagree on the opaque tights thing,with a very formal business suit (fitted fine wool jacket and pencil skirt) opaques just look clunky and weird. I think sheer tights look nice, though mine are similar to the "fine opaques" linked to above, so perhaps not as sheer as some.

loadsa see, there seems to be a contradiction in what you are saying in that you think opaques are formal yet use them to "dress down" other items. To me they are a very casual item though I can wear them with one or two thicker wool herringbone suits and they look OK.

It's a bit of a puzzle!

PeoniesforMissAnnersley Mon 08-Dec-14 10:12:12

I do have nude high heels, just not ones with a huge platform and stiletto heel which I couldn't walk in for 2 minutes

Bluestocking Mon 08-Dec-14 10:26:57

This version is even worse.

Sorry, I know you were talking about tights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now