Talk

Advanced search

Jeans sizing help

(5 Posts)
MisForMumNotMaid Sun 07-Dec-14 21:51:48

I've recently lost a big chunk of weight and started wearing jeans (occasionally). I've still a little way to go so don't want to spend a fortune and my favourite clothes haunts are charity shops. Lots of them don't have changing rooms and I often have my youngest in buggy with me so using a small curtained cubicle isn't an option.

I have been wearing some next slim cut size 14's. Now they're nice on the leg but i find the slightly low waist look/ cut a bit hard to get on with. I'm at the stage that they pull down without being unbuttoned/ unzipped so I figured I need to buy a size down.

When I look on the next web site I should be fitting the 14's, based on my measurements. Do you buy jeans tight and they stretch? Are on hip meant to be big and belted? I don't know which brand i'll be getting as its luck of the draw with 2nd hand but what should I be looking out for?

bluesbaby Sun 07-Dec-14 22:09:08

Jeans with elastane do tend to get baggy.
Next sizing is a bit funny, according to measurements (online) I'm a 14, but in store I'm between 6-8. I would try on in store when you can, jeans are quite hard to find well-fitted.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 07-Dec-14 22:21:54

Thank you for the response. Maybe now isn't the time to get more jeans then. I'm generally wearing leggings and tunics which cope better with my changing shape. I'm a weable shape at present, with my chest having shrunk to 33inch whilst my hips are 42inch.

My tunics are mostly 12's, my dress for Christmas day is a 10 (last time I was a 10 I was 2 stone less than I am now. Thats 20 years of vanity sizing).

Passthecake30 Mon 08-Dec-14 07:23:09

I never need to undo my jeans to take them off but I don't need to buy smaller. ...it's just my shape I guess. I always wear a belt. I'm a 40 waist and wear a 12, so I think a 14 sounds about right, maybe you just need to look at the depth of the waist?

BikeRunSki Mon 08-Dec-14 07:44:24

Jeans sizing varies massively, even within the same manufacturer. I like Next, but different styles fit so differently.

Jeans' fabrics also vary hugely in their stretchiness.

Some styles will need a belt on some people, some won't, you just need to do whatever works for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now