Talk

Advanced search

Attention workwear S&Bers - behold, the business tiara

(21 Posts)
StainlessSteelBegonia Sun 07-Dec-14 08:38:55

I'm not joking. (I've even checked the date stamp on the article - not April 1st, I swear.) According to the New York Times, tiaras are the new thing in US business meetings. Devotees comment that,

"(Tiaras are) ... surprisingly practical. Lisa Sun, the chief executive of Project Gravitas, a shapewear dress brand based in New York, praises tiaras as a chic solution for busy executives with little time for blowouts between meetings, workouts and galas."

Thoughts, please. Given that we in the UK tend to follow our cousins in the US on many matters, how long will it be before we're all doing the full Duchess of Cambridge round the coffee machine?

Are Tiaras The New Power Scrunchies?

ArthurShappey Sun 07-Dec-14 08:43:37

Hmmmm... I still have a kind of tiara thing that I wore at my wedding. Should I dust it off ready for work tomorrow. The one in the main picture doesn't look like a tiara, it looks like a headband.

whattheseithakasmean Sun 07-Dec-14 08:46:49

The pictures don't look like what I would call a 'tiara'. They are sparkly Alice bands. I think they look a bit rubbish, in any case - but then, I am no fan of an Alice band on an adult woman (find on little girls - adorable, in fact).

MarshaBrady Sun 07-Dec-14 08:48:45

Yep more a sparkly headband. Which I still wouldn't wear.

TheHappinessTrap Sun 07-Dec-14 09:14:24

I agree that's not a tiara. Its a nice Alice band. I think tiaras have to have some, if small, hight.

Trills Sun 07-Dec-14 09:33:03

What do you do with headlines ending in a question mark?

1 - that's not a tiara
2 - you do not look polished and put together

StainlessSteelBegonia Sun 07-Dec-14 10:10:07

Phew. Delighted to find that Betteridge's law of headlines indicates that the NYT is as horrified as we are. grin

I had been wondering if there was a certain amount of recessionary make do & mend going on there. You know - having splurged on their dream bridal Alice bands at Anthropolgie's bridal shop, American women then look to getting real lasting value out of their purchases. Or something.

santamarianovella Sun 07-Dec-14 11:08:28

Sorry but she looks silly,

My job doesn't require me to dress up very formally, can get away with jeans if I have no clients or meeting, but I seriously doubt people will think I'm polished and put together if I showed up in one.

Trills Sun 07-Dec-14 11:23:19

If they could just say "shiny hair things are not just for children and weddings" they might have a point.

But that's not a business tiara.

bigkidsdidit Sun 07-Dec-14 11:30:20

Even if you were a busy executive how much time does it take to put a tiara on before your gala confused

FrancesFarmer Sun 07-Dec-14 12:43:20

They are headbands. I've always found headbands very uncomfortable to wear - am I the only one?

Nope, it's just a sparkly headband. I like the look of them (not for work) but can't wear them because they are all too big for my head! Also, they are a look for bright young things, not middle aged women, sadly.

EdithWeston Sun 07-Dec-14 12:47:54

Um, Cleopatra wore the pharaonic crown of Egypt on her head, not a tiara. Lady Gaga and Madonna aren't really office-wear role models, and what you wear to a wrap party isn't what you wear to the office. And what they are describing seems to be a selection of glittery headbands not tiaras.

Apart from that, the article's fine.

noddyholder Sun 07-Dec-14 14:06:35

I wear a lot of hairbands with my hair up like that but they are plain black

samesizetoes Sun 07-Dec-14 18:14:36

I wear head bands and tiaras almost everyday and have done since I was a teenager. Plain, sparkly or otherwise. I like them and think they suit me.

Its just another accessory to wear with your outfit/clothes.

ArthurShappey Mon 08-Dec-14 07:24:43

Well my tiara is firmly on ready for my appraisal this morning! ;)

Doobigetta Mon 08-Dec-14 20:42:05

Well, if this is ok, I'm going to carry my Little Lady Business Barbie pink glittery briefcase tomorrow.

ChippyMinton Mon 08-Dec-14 20:49:12

This is a real thing?
I saw a woman on the tube this afternoon wearing a sparkly headband betwixt her forehead and hairline, disappearing into a roll at the back. My first thought was that she'd had a up-do ready for an evening event but it wasn't 'done' and polished enough to be that.
She was wearing a business suit and knee boots.

Lambzig Mon 08-Dec-14 21:06:47

If Elsa has taught us nothing else, surely it's that throwing your tiara away is the route to independence, happiness and success in errrr, ice skating.

HermioneWeasley Mon 08-Dec-14 21:12:19

Agree, they are fancy hair bands

RojaGato Wed 10-Dec-14 00:42:15

I prefer sparkly cat ears myself.

If you are going to dress like you are 4 and you don't give a hoot what anyone thinks, you'd be as well go the whole hog.

Plus some sparkly fairy wings too. Today I am the flying fairy kitten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now