Talk

Advanced search

Shellac or Gelish?

(6 Posts)
PinkSparklyElephant Sat 06-Dec-14 22:42:43

I've been having Shellac for nearly a year now and I've been really happy with it. The tech who does my nails is moving so I'm not sure whether to follow her (not a great distance but not convenient for me) or go elsewhere.

There's a beauty room at my hairdressers but they do Gelish rather than Shellac. Is there much difference between the two? The Gelish is cheaper and the salon is more convenient but I don't want to ruin my nails if Gelish is harsh on them.

I've had OPI and Jessics Geleration nails in the past and they have both lifted really quickly and I'm worried the Gelish might do the same although I know it could also be the technicians not applying it properly as it lasted forever on my toes.

Thanks in advance.

Alwaysrushingaround Sun 07-Dec-14 00:04:37

I find gelish better
More choice of colours too!!

RojaGato Sun 07-Dec-14 06:04:44

I prefer shellac. The one time I had Gelish she buffed down my nails a lot to roughen them and I didn't like that. That left a ridge across my nail when the gelish was taken off too, took ages to grow out. It also felt more, well, rubbery and thick on.

PinkSparklyElephant Sun 07-Dec-14 10:42:21

Thanks both. It's the buffing that worries me about Gelish as I don't want my nails ruined.

carrie74 Sun 07-Dec-14 21:37:36

I used to have Gelish but my beautician (who moved and I went with her) now favours Shellac (although still offers both). I didn't find any difference between the two really (application and removal were the same, no buffing!), but actually, I find Shellac isn't quite as thick as Gelish so feels a bit more like a normal nail varnish.

PinkSparklyElephant Sun 07-Dec-14 21:51:31

Thanks carrie74. I'm might give the salon a call and see whether they buff or not. It's more local and £20 cheaper for a manicure and pedicure so probably worth a try!

I remove my own Shellac so I presume I could do that with Gelish?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now