Talk

Advanced search

I'm 55 - how do I look more vibrant and gorgeous

(16 Posts)
MrsMerrywinkle Sat 06-Dec-14 10:38:57

I generally think I don't look bad for my age as I'm quite sporty and slim. But would like to look more vibrant and gorgeous. My skin care regime is alright, I think - Lancome facial wash and Boots Perfect and Protect ? day and night creams. What else could I do?

Any tips?

LakeFlyPie Sat 06-Dec-14 13:59:55

I think wearing the 'right' colours, especially next to you face i.e tops, scarves etc makes the biggest difference. I needed a colour analysis session to help me work it out. I'm a 'jewel winter' and look like death in beige and warm pastels and more vibrant and healthy in bright jewel colours or black and white. The correct tone lipstick makes a difference too.

Chottie Sat 06-Dec-14 16:02:01

I would have a make over by BB. I would second wearing the right colours too. Black makes me look like death warmed up. I had my colours done too.

Samantha28 Sat 06-Dec-14 17:36:21

Staying slim and fit is the Most Important thing you can do for your health and your appearance . So you are 90% there already

Apart from that , another vote for wearing the correct colours and styles for you , in clothes and make up

Having your hair well cut and coloured ( if you colour it )

BB is no good for me at they don't have the right colours for my colouring , but , as they say , other brands are available

tb Sat 06-Dec-14 19:15:39

Would second having your colours done by a consultant from CMB. Their make up is really good, too as the colours are created to match with the colours you can wear in each season.

velourvoyageur Sun 07-Dec-14 04:04:13

Do you have a nice coat and shoes? Makes all the difference I think. Get something you feel good about every time you go out.

Madamecastafiore Sun 07-Dec-14 04:37:16

Lipstick, lipstick, lipstick.

Can totally change a woman from looking vibrant and done with the right colour on to drawn if wearing the wrong colour.

I have recently started wearing lipstick and spend an inordinate amount of time agreeing with my reflection that it has totally changed me for the better.

Clothes that are not only the right colour but also the right shape,for you are important too.

Madamecastafiore Sun 07-Dec-14 04:38:25

Not having blah mid length nothingy hair too. Does nothing for most women over 40.

velourvoyageur Sun 07-Dec-14 07:12:33

Madame do you think that if you wear lipstick you need to do everything else too? fill in eyebrows, do your eyes properly, blusher etc?

I just dab on a bit of eyeliner and otherwise nothing but lipstick sounds like it would be fun to play around with.....but I can't be bothered doing proper makeup every day....

marriednotdead Sun 07-Dec-14 07:36:38

I'm 48 but this thread resonated with me.

Another vote for lipstick. I have always struggled to keep it on so after half an hour, it usually looks like I didn't bother in the first place. Got a '24 hour' Maybelline one recently and I look and feel more 'finished'.

Also have my eyebrows threaded regularly, it makes me look more open eyed somehow, even without makeup.

Make up doesn't have to take ages velourvoyager, I can slap on enough to not scare people in under 5 minutes smile

MrsMerrywinkle Sun 07-Dec-14 07:54:31

Thanks for the tips which have inspired me to make a little more effort.

Went out yesterday to an outdoor festive thingy and wore a bright coloured hat (which I've had in the cupboard unworn for years) and got a few compliments.Think it brightened me up and made me look 'finished'.

Also wore a little more make up- just Barbara Daly brush on stuff which takes seconds to apply, but again it made me look 'finished'.(Usually just wear mascara and lipstick which I think does me no favours).

Yes, marriednotdead 'finished' is the way forward smile

Fridayschild Sun 07-Dec-14 08:00:25

Nail varnish makes me feel v sophisticated! Partly this is because I can never be bothered, but when I do I feel like I have made an effort.

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 07-Dec-14 11:52:08

Acids!!! Older skin needs acids. Glycolic for exfoliation and hyaluronic for hydration.

Alpha H Liquid Gold night treatment

Bliss Labs Hydraluron serum from boots

MrsMerrywinkle Sun 07-Dec-14 20:03:21

www.beautybay.com/skincare/alphah/liquidgoldintensivenightrepairserum/

Is this the one Iatemyskinnyperson ?

Do you use it every night?

Madamecastafiore Sun 07-Dec-14 21:55:43

Velour I only wear touché Eclait, mascara, lipstick and v v subtle Nars orgasm on cheeks.

Have had eyebrows tattooed in which is the best money I have ever spent.

(Some days I don't wear anything but swipe of mascara if I have a work out then training then getting kids and staying home I'm not wearing this lot every day)

Iatemyskinnyperson Mon 08-Dec-14 20:35:40

That's the one! Start easy, if you haven't used glycolics before. It's great stuff to freshen & brighten your complexion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now