Talk

Advanced search

Anyone help me with my Christmas list? Make up recommendations please.

(17 Posts)
JenniMoo Sat 06-Dec-14 08:03:18

DH is struggling with ideas, so I said I'd make some suggestions. I'd really like some new make up, although am a bit rubbish with that sort of thing.
I use a foundation and blusher I'm happy with but would love:
Warm neutral beigey set of eyeshadows
Dark brown eyeliner pencil type thing (I have a Clinique one in black I like...)
Long lasting subtle lipstick/ colour (warm)

Any recommendations for these or anything else it'd be worth me getting? Has to be quick and easy for me to use it though!

INeedSomeHelp Sat 06-Dec-14 08:10:43

Bobbi Brown has a lovely collection on just now in tortoiseshell packaging. I have the warm eye palette and there are about six neutral tones in it, all of which I will use.
There are other items in the collection too and I'm sure it will include lip colour although I haven't actually seen it.

JenniMoo Sat 06-Dec-14 08:19:41

That sounds lovely. I think I found it on john Lewis, but it's out of stock. Is it the one where they're all 6 in a line?
I think £37.50 might've a little pricy for DH to bring himself to spend on make up, too ;)

mowglik Sat 06-Dec-14 08:25:11

Urban decay naked palettes are great for neutral eye shadows, they're around£37 but you can get a basics palette for £22.. They're very long wearing eyeshadows and look great

Lancome usually do a nice set with a mascara, black eyeliner and little pot of make up remover at this time of year, for around the same price as the mascara usually is.

Urban Decay Naked set for a lovely collection of basic browns. I think Clarins have brought one out too but the Urban Decay one is brilliant.

INeedSomeHelp Sat 06-Dec-14 13:33:20

That is the one JenniMoo - my sister bought it for me in USA so I didn't realise the price. If he can stretch to that then you can order it direct from the Bobbi Brown website.

southeastastra Sat 06-Dec-14 13:36:49

def the naked pallet, the smaller one 2 is really nice, i use it all the time

southeastastra Sat 06-Dec-14 13:39:58

here

JenniMoo Sat 06-Dec-14 16:15:37

The naked 2 looks perfect, I shall put that on the list.
Any thoughts on lipstick, or do I really need to try it?
Any other must-haves? I don't have highlighter or concealer or anything.

mowglik Sat 06-Dec-14 17:20:25

Good subtle highlight is mac strobe cream, no glitter or shimmers or anything it's just very glowy and you can put it over anything or even all over before foundation. A good all out highlighter is albatross by nars..very golden!

carlywurly Sat 06-Dec-14 17:24:44

Benefit have some lovely sets in this year but they're selling out fast.
I bought some bourjois shadow the other day that I'm really happy with. A fraction of the cost of my last chanel eye compact.

slug Sat 06-Dec-14 17:28:53

How about something like this?

The naked palettes are fab ( I have all 3, ooooppppss!) so I'd agree with adding them. They cover everything from light daytime makeup to heavy smokey eyes and bridal type looks.

Dior has a new lib balm product out which is supposed to be good for all lip colours, it's called colour awakening balm I think. Not a strong colour (I'd say you probably should try those generally) but good. For strong colours the Clinique chubby sticks are lovely , there are a few gift sets about with them this is out of stock but might come back for example.

For eyeliner, I quite like urban decay again, set here for example

Highlighter probably isn't essential although if you want one, YSL Touche Eclat is kind of the classic. For concealer it might be worth seeing if there is one which goes with your foundation (for shade match) but I personally like benefit booing.

Do you have good brushes?

NoelleHawthorne Sat 06-Dec-14 18:07:16

i would alwasy advise against a palette if you are a make up newbie or rarely wear it.

get a nude/pale shade and then a brown/grey for contour.

Or dont use eyeshadow and just use a soft pencil instead

MsVanRein Sat 06-Dec-14 18:19:01

If you like the Clinique eye pencil you have try their quickliner in Sable, it's really lovely on.

JenniMoo Sat 06-Dec-14 19:56:41

Some great ideas, thank you. I have a good list of suggestions for DH now, and a stash of boots points to use up if he doesn't get anything ;)

JenniMoo Thu 01-Jan-15 07:29:41

DH got me the naked 2 palette and I love it. Thank you for that and the other suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now