Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

The great wedding dress dilemma! Opinions please on this wedding dress...... not long to go and getting desperate

(105 Posts)
Thegreatweddingdressdilemma Fri 05-Dec-14 21:06:00

Getting married early next year (winter wedding)
By way of background I am early 30s, tall, size 8.

I have been to a few 'proper' bridal shops and seen some amazing dresses, but there has not been any one in particular that I have fallen in love with and have to have (although lots that I have really liked). I do not feel like I have found 'the one'. The cheapest dress that I am considering from a 'proper' bridal shop is £1500 (including alterations). I can afford this without getting into debt but I am aware that it is a lot of money and I can think of lots of other things to spend it on (honeymoon, a fund for if / when I find myself on maternity leave etc).

I have also tried on this dress in Ghost which as you can see is reduced to just £75
www.ghost.co.uk/taya-dress-ivory-dp30ca-m10

Here is a real life wedding featuring the dress (and I personally think it looks better here than on the Ghost website)
www.fitzgeraldphotographic.co.uk/2013/12/bell-in-ticehurst-wedding-ali-john/

And here it is being worn by bridesmaids (although in a different colour) www.ablognamedscout.com/lisa-and-david-in-cork-ireland/

Ok so the Ghost dress is not quite as nice as the 'proper' dresses, and if money was no object I would go for the £1500 dress.... but the Ghost dress is £1425 cheaper and still a lovely dress, which after all I will only be wearing for a few hours.

We are also only having a very small, informal wedding so spending ££££ on a dress feels out of proportion somehow to the rest of the wedding.

My Mum thinks I will regret the Ghost dress. Would value any opinions on it. Many thanks.

JoyceDivision Fri 05-Dec-14 21:08:00

the ghost dress is fab!! buy it buy it buy it now1!!!!!!

you could fuss it up, if you like, with long veil, fab shoes and STILL be massively under budget, if was tall and a size 8, not short and 18, I would have had that for my wedding dress11

OneInAMillionYou Fri 05-Dec-14 21:10:49

Hi OP
I think the Ghost dress is gorgeous, and what a bargain! With your height and figure you would probably look great in anything, but you will really be able to carry off the simplicity of the Ghost dress.
Good luck with your wedding.

NotTodaySatan Fri 05-Dec-14 21:11:44

Stunning dress.

I have to say though, it doesn't look as wow on the real life bride as it does on the Ghost website.

SocialMediaAddict Fri 05-Dec-14 21:12:08

But the Ghost dress! It's gorgeous. I only spent £100 on my wedding dress as it was one I liked, only wore it for one day and couldn't bear to spend hundreds.

Lazymummy2014 Fri 05-Dec-14 21:14:16

I think that the ghost dress looks fab. you tried it on? How do you feel in it?

I loved my wedding dress (about the same cost as your 'proper dress' but I have to admit that when I see it hanging in its bag on the back of the spare room door (can't afford to get it cleaned and boxed up!) I do often think I shouldn't have spent all that money on it.

You could go for very lovely, pricey accessories - wrap, shoes, purse, hair thingy - and not feel guilty at all about the cost because you saved so much on the dress!

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Dec-14 21:15:38

I think that Ghost dress is gorgeous, and with a crystal belt/sash and a sparkly veil it will look even more bridal if you so choose

Riverland Fri 05-Dec-14 21:17:13

The Ghost dress is gorgeous. It's a no brainer! Buy it! Enjoy it! Very many congratulations to you!

iamthenewgirl Fri 05-Dec-14 21:17:34

I think that dress looks lovely and would never have guessed it was £75.

I wasn't going to spend loads of money but ended up with a wedding dress for £950 because it was the one. I felt amazing all day. Didn't want to take it off! It's now in a box. Such a lot of money though...

Thegreatweddingdressdilemma Fri 05-Dec-14 21:18:31

Thanks

It would be possible to wear a belt like this with the Ghost dress (I have tried it)
www.etsy.com/uk/listing/208059859/wedding-belt-bridal-belt-sash-belt?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=bridal+belt&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_utm_source=google&ga_utm_medium=sem&ga_utm_term=bridal-belt_+&ga_utm_campaign=uk_Weddings_Wedding_Belts&ga_search_type=all

MilkThistle187 Fri 05-Dec-14 21:21:41

The Ghost dress is gorgeous, buy it quick!

NanooCov Fri 05-Dec-14 21:21:52

I love the Ghost dress. Buy it and blow several hundred on amazing shoes you'll wear again!

ReallyBadParty Fri 05-Dec-14 21:22:00

See, I think if you don't really love it, don't do it.

It looks quite crumpled I the real life photos too.

I would just start again. £1500 is far too much for what you want, and the Ghost one looks a wee but rubbish in the rl photos.

You are young, tall and slim: the dress world is your oyster. Look at ASOS; modcloth; Frasers and find a lovely weddingy dress for a fraction of the big price but without the creasing.

ReallyBadParty Fri 05-Dec-14 21:22:27

in not I

Thegreatweddingdressdilemma Fri 05-Dec-14 21:23:09

Yes I have actually already bought the Ghost dress (thought I'd better in case it sells out now it's reduced to £75!) but just need to decide whether to wear it or return it.

Consensus on here seems to be wear it!

MilkThistle187 Fri 05-Dec-14 21:23:09

I think the belt would be lovely with it

kettlepot Fri 05-Dec-14 21:28:43

It's lovely smile If it helps, in hindsight I wish I'd spent FAR less than the £1k I did.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Fri 05-Dec-14 21:29:42

Gorgeous dress! I spent ££££ on mine and regret it. I wouldn't ever spend even £300 on a pair of designer shoes normally. Such a waste of money confused well done for resisting the pressure to spend loads, and for finding such a beautiful dress at such a good price.

The belt is beautiful too, perfect. Get your hair and makeup perfect and spend on flowers.

Mummyannabella Fri 05-Dec-14 21:30:07

Def wear ghost it's lovely. No one will ever think it's £75. Get the belt and sparkly shoes. A vintage sparkly hair accessory and you are set. Mine was £3k and now in a box and I'd have preferred the money while on mat leave.

Andcake Fri 05-Dec-14 21:31:28

I think it's lovely too...much better on real life photos grin so you'll look great!

Riverland Fri 05-Dec-14 21:33:39

The belt is fab! Have you bought shoes yet? What flowers are you having?!

That dress is going to look perfect on a tall size 8!

meandjulio Fri 05-Dec-14 21:34:32

I do really like the Ghost dress but like Really I am concerned that you are asking about it - if you're not sure, try something else.

MN loves these threads. What do you like about the Ghost dress? Is it the length, the lace, the sleeves...?

hillbilly Fri 05-Dec-14 21:35:04

Seriously - buy the Ghost dress! My wedding dress cost £75 and it was absolutely beautiful. It was simple and elegant as is the Ghost one. Don't waste your money on the 'proper' one.

ReallyBadParty Fri 05-Dec-14 21:36:44

I cite this as my evidence.

Loads more nice cheap dresses out there. Don't spend a fortune, but feel happy.

lucy101 Fri 05-Dec-14 21:39:03

Go for it! It looks great and then you would have money for lovely shoes and perhaps a little vintage style cape or something if it's a winter wedding. I think the belt is a great idea... or if you or someone close to you is any good with a needle of thread you could stitch some crystals (or something like that) onto the waist/neckline/scattered over the lace if you wanted it to catch the light a little more. even if you got a professional to do this you would still end up spending hardly anything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: