Talk

Advanced search

Interview dress

(18 Posts)
Elysianfields Fri 05-Dec-14 14:44:58

I have just got a second interview for a role which I am really excited about, trouble is the interview is on Monday. My ususl interview stuff, and which I wore for the first round intervierw with the recruitment consultant is black jacket and dress (Hobbs) with flesh coloured tights and black courts. So formal, seriously formal.

This new role is in a place described as quirky, unconventional, grass growing on the desk sort of place. My role will be "serious" in a quirky environment. What on earth shall I wear?

I was thinking of keeping the jacket and shoes, and maybe adding a colourful dress? Or I have the skirt to match the jacket and I could add a really bright shirt or something?

I am size 12, fairly proportionate and over 50 (shhhh). Anyone got the slightest clue? Thanks in anticipation

Oh and I have access to a big city which I can get to for 9am tomorrow, so most shops accessible.

plumduffer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:08:37

Good luck!

Cos have some smart dresses with an edgier cut than Hobbs. Also stuff like a gorgeous grey blue silk shirt:
www.cosstores.com/gb/Shop/Women/Shirts/Straight-cut_silk_shirt/10898847-13750892.1#c-85348

Hth.

Elysianfields Fri 05-Dec-14 17:29:43

Love the shirt. Not sure about the cos dresses though.

What on earth does smart casual look like in an interview? That's my problem!

plumduffer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:31:21

…just to add that matching jacket and skirt sounds very straight - I think one or the other if you go down that route. And ditch the flesh-coloured tights for something with colour and/or texture. (I worked in "quirky" places for many years…never saw any flesh-coloured tights!)

If you want to accessorise - scarf or pin or whatever - then go vintage. John Lewis have a vintage jewellery counter and usually a decent (if slightly over-priced) selection.

ThreeBecameFour Fri 05-Dec-14 17:32:30

I always like classic clothing with arty/chunky jewellery and shoes/bag. that way I have stuff to suit different environments so I say dress it up/down differently with accessories to avoid any more outgoing costs? I always have compliments on jewellery like this. Oliver Bonas and similar have a good selection?

plumduffer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:34:16

Well I would say that "smart casual" is definitely not too match-matchy…so no skirt suits ;) Do you like flat shoes? Hobbs often have some lovely flats in great colours.

ThreeBecameFour Fri 05-Dec-14 17:34:39

and I agree with the comments on coloured/textured leg wear grin

plumduffer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:40:25

Three, we are obvs coming from the same styling place…! smile

Elysianfields Fri 05-Dec-14 17:41:42

So not a suit. Not flesh coloured tights. Will opaques be ok?

I was thinking about a dress, not black, dvf type but not the price tag, maybe a wrap? With the jacket because I will freeze and I just can't wear a cardi......

Want2bSupermum Fri 05-Dec-14 17:42:02

If your role is serious then I would wear your suit and use accessories to make it more lively. I say this as an auditor who is often in a creative environment. I tend to wear classic dress or skirt suits and liven it up with jewel colored tops, jewelry and/or scarf. Another thing is to make sure your make up and hair style is not frumpy. I am sure it isn't but Ive seen how changing this can be very effective in softening a business suit.

ThreeBecameFour Fri 05-Dec-14 17:44:42

Did you get a feel for the dress code and what people were wearing when they interviewed you at 1st interview?

Want2bSupermum Fri 05-Dec-14 17:45:38

Also just because the dress code is business casual it doesn't mean you interview that way. If interviewing I always go formal until I have the job offer.

Elysianfields Fri 05-Dec-14 17:48:29

No the interview was in a hotel with the recruitment consultant. He kept saying how quirky and unconventional the setting is, and how off the wall the MD is so it made me really think.
Ta hard to explain the look I want, businesslike but fun I think.

ThreeBecameFour Fri 05-Dec-14 17:48:51

I agree. I was going to say go a notch or two above what you got the dress code feel for at 1st interview..

plumduffer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:50:17

Opaques are good, imho, especially in a deep jewel colour, more interesting than black.

Wrap dresses made me think of James Lakeland - they don't seem to have any in at the moment but they do have some other dresses that are quite sober but with nice detailing (cowl neck, coloured pockets, etc). Worth a look?

ThreeBecameFour Fri 05-Dec-14 17:50:24

Personally I would go smart with the accessories...

Want2bSupermum Fri 05-Dec-14 18:05:49

The recruiter wasn't refer to your dress but warning you that the MD is a mess and you will need to stear the interview. Also expect non PC remarks.

Elysianfields Fri 05-Dec-14 18:09:25

Good point Want!

I know he has been trying to fill this post for a year so I guess he has interesting criteria!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now