Talk

Advanced search

Need to order a dress today......

(22 Posts)
GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 14:42:08

I need a dress quick - not too formal, but I need to go straight to a 'do' from work so needs to be ok for a day in the (not terribly formal) office too. Planning to wear ankle boots with it - I have black leather and grey suede.

Thought maybe something like this, although not in yellow? Ideally I would like a nice silky shirt dress but I've been trying to buy one for ages and had no luck.

Oh and it must be online and deliverable within next 3 or 4 days. And I'm 40ish, size 10-12. Would prefer under £50, but would stretch to more if it's something I could wear a lot. Help me!

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 14:45:26

If it helps, this is my current favourite dress - I have it in green, and love it with statement necklace and boots. So something along these lines but with long sleeves would be perfect.....
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Pied+a+Terre+Woven+Couture+Tee+Dress/195340739,default,pd.html

CarolBornAMan Fri 05-Dec-14 15:13:41

have you tried baukjen - I wear a lot of their stuff as it is easy to dress up from office to night time?

tethersend Fri 05-Dec-14 15:35:36

blue shirt dress

tethersend Fri 05-Dec-14 15:37:45

sequinned

tethersend Fri 05-Dec-14 15:40:06

cos

tethersend Fri 05-Dec-14 15:41:37

and again

tethersend Fri 05-Dec-14 15:44:01

other stories

tethersend Fri 05-Dec-14 15:44:43

and again

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 16:39:17

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Love the black Cos one with the mesh front, but not keen on the v back. The &Other Stories ones look good too - there are quite a few options on there. Is their delivery quick though? I've only ordered from them once, I seem to remember it was a bit slow....

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 16:46:11

Any thoughts on this?
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Phase+Eight+Angelina+spot+dress/197278255,default,pd.html

FauxFox Fri 05-Dec-14 17:08:02

asos
The spotty one is nice but a tiny bit Minnie Mouse...

FauxFox Fri 05-Dec-14 17:19:28

lace collar
looser
jewel collar

nequidnimis Fri 05-Dec-14 17:44:35

I ordered something from &other stories recently, and the delivery was very slow.

Their standard delivery is £6 and should take up to 5 working days.

I complained after 8 working days (mainly because I wanted the dress for an event and it didn't look like that was going to happen).

They refunded my delivery cost but couldn't make any promises about the delivery, although it arrived two days later.

You are able to track your order, but mine appeared to sit in Hamburg for sodding ages.

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 18:21:46

Thanks quid - sounds very much like what happened to me.mi complained and got my delivery refunded too. Think will give them a miss as I'm in a hurry.
Thanks for the suggestions fox - I'd forgotten about Asos. Their delivery s usually great too. Will take a look at those. And agree with you that the spotty one might be a little Minnie-esque. And 3/4 sleeves always seem like something my mum would wear....

Samantha28 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:30:16

Just to warn you - I ordered a dress from ASOS on 28 November on next day delivery . They emailed on Monday 1 December to say it will be delivered on Monday 8 December.

A friemd ordered on 30 November and hers is due 10 December, so it's not a one off problem.

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 18:44:03

Oh heck! Thanks for the warning Samantha. In that case I'm heading back to House of Fraser, as their delivery has never yet let me down!
This might be ok - although hard to tell if it might just look lumpy on. I could order and try..... www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Fenn+Wright+Manson+Melody+Dress/205787471,default,pd.html

frankietwospots Fri 05-Dec-14 18:57:23

That FWM dress is divine! Love it.

Samantha28 Fri 05-Dec-14 19:23:13

HoF click and collect might be more reliable. Though apparently queues are long in store.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

If your credit card can bear it , id be tempted to order more than one dress in case it doesn't turn up on time

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 19:44:25

Bloody hell. Thanks Samantha. Think I will take your advice and order from 2 different shops in the hope I get something in time.
Am ordering the FWM dress now Frankie smile

Samantha28 Fri 05-Dec-14 20:35:10

My dress hasn't arrived yet from ASOS and the function is tomorrow

I took an old dress to be altered yesterday and picked it up tonight as an insurance policy . I have this problem of occasion dresses shrinking in the wardrobe .......

That Blue dress is a gorgeous colour and the drape of the fabric should be very flattering , especially if ( like me ) you have curves

GreatSoprendo Fri 05-Dec-14 20:57:43

Thanks and good luck with your dress!
I've ordered the blue from HoF in 2 sizes, but their delivery is saying Weds - cutting it fine as I need it for Thurs. If it doesn't arrive, I will have to fall back on skinnies and heels - I just reeeeeeaaaally wanted a dress, and strangely all the ones in my wardrobe seem to have shrunk a little since last winter too......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now