Talk

Advanced search

Black dress, brown boots?

(18 Posts)
wellies Thu 04-Dec-14 14:58:53

I have two lovely Christmas events this year which require dressing up a little; both are parties in other people's homes so not super formal. I've found a black fine knitted Boden dress with some black sequins on in our local charity shop which fits well and I really like but i only have smart tan knee high boots - is a black dress and brown boots ok? I'm struggling to find the budget for black boots.

nottheOP Thu 04-Dec-14 15:00:11

I think tan is fine. You may have to take them off in people's houses anyway!

mirpuppet Thu 04-Dec-14 15:04:52

Tan boots are fine.

wellies Thu 04-Dec-14 15:06:24

Hooray! Thanks smile

Next question - black or nude tights? About 2 or 3 inches between dress and boots.

hownow Thu 04-Dec-14 15:11:02

My very stylish friend came round wearing a black mini dress, opaques and tan boots the other day. It will be fine!

mooth Thu 04-Dec-14 15:19:19

Tan boots, black dress - all good.

dexter73 Thu 04-Dec-14 15:27:33

I think tan boots would look a bit odd with a black dress. Do you have any black shoes you could wear with it?

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 04-Dec-14 15:42:51

Tan seems to go with most colours ime.

Black tights definitely.

Do you have a scarf/necklace that could tie the colours together?

wellies Thu 04-Dec-14 15:59:24

No scarf. The sequins on the dress are at the neckline.

wellies Thu 04-Dec-14 16:00:44

No black shoes - I never wear black these days having over done it in my teens. I've surprised myself with this dress.

gonegrey56 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:16:22

Tan boots , black opaque tights and you will look fab!

Twinklestein Thu 04-Dec-14 18:30:39

I think it would look really odd. What colour shoes do you have if you don't have black?

Well, as somebody who wore a black top and black mini today, with black opaques and tan boots, I say it would be fine! And yes, surely you'd take your boots off to go into somebody's house, anyway - or I personally certainly would.

Definitely not nude tights.

Iggi999 Thu 04-Dec-14 19:32:54

I would hope you wouldn't have to take your boots off for a party, though I know anything is possible in some houses! Your outfit sounds nice.

tigerdriverII Thu 04-Dec-14 19:33:10

I think it would look lovely. No problem at all!

lurkingfromhome Thu 04-Dec-14 19:44:55

Lovely. I wear black with tan boots loads - tan really is a neutral and the old adage of never wearing black and brown together (like my mother always banged on about) is really dated now. Your outfit sounds perfect!

Iamblossom Thu 04-Dec-14 19:55:09

I would really hate having to take my shoes/boots off at a party,

wellies Thu 04-Dec-14 21:26:17

Thanks for the replies - a mixture of opinions but I think I'll probably risk the tan boots smile

I don't think I've ever had to take my shoes off at a house party but I do if I go to a friend's house for coffee.

I have brown shoes and boots, tan boots and a pair of very casual black pumps - not suitable for a party. I'm not very into footware!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: