Talk

Advanced search

Are GHD's still the straighteners to get?

(20 Posts)
BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Thu 04-Dec-14 11:14:26

So my straighteners have broke. Ive had them for ages. Once upon a time GHDs were the straighteners to have. Is this still the case? Or are there better brands around now?

I can't afford much more than £40 right now though, but do I buy a cheaper pair to see me through December and get something better early next year? Or can I get a good pair now that will last? I dont want to spend as much as £40 on a pair if they aren't going to be any good.

SaltySeaBird Thu 04-Dec-14 13:53:25

Hmm well when my GHDs broke I replaced them with the latest model. I was so disappointed - they aren't as good as they used to be in my opinion.

I had a lot of people telling me that Cloud Nine are the ones to get now but they come with an equally if not higher price tag.

Personally I'd budget to get a decent pair in the new year as I never had good experiences of lower cost hair straightners but that said, I've not tried any for years so somebody else might be able to point you in the direction of some decent budget ones.

lanbro Thu 04-Dec-14 13:56:33

I recently got some Remington ones in Boots, reduced from £80 to £30, and they are just as good as my old ghds. They have adjustable temperature too. Wouldn't bother with ghds again.

SorrelForbes Thu 04-Dec-14 14:29:33

I've just bought these Corioliss ones and they are, IMHO, better than my old GHDs.

Fabulassie Thu 04-Dec-14 14:36:03

I dithered over this and ended up buying GHD's. Are they the best? I don't know. But I do know that if I'd bought cheaper ones (like the Remington which I'd been eyeballing) and gotten the results I currently get, I would have wondered if perhaps I should have paid more... because I pretty much suck at straightening my hair.

HellKitty Thu 04-Dec-14 14:38:05

I love my GHDs but hairdresser friend raves about the Cloud 9s. I personally wouldn't recommend cheaper brands as I'm scared of the crack and sizzle on my frizzy ends shock

StephenKatz Thu 04-Dec-14 14:39:54

I wish I hadn't bought mine. They're just straighteners! No different to any other straighteners, certainly no more superior. They only come with a 1 year guarantee and to be honest I wish I'd spent £30 on the same product and just risk having to replace it more often.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Dec-14 14:43:36

I have incredibly thick frizzy wavy hair and GHDs work brilliantly with my hair, much more so than any other model Ive had. My current GHDs are ten years old and still in full working order.

However, technique is important too - especially with thick hair - straighten small sections and start underneath and build up to the top layer.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Dec-14 14:45:00

I should add, my GHDs are the only model.not to give me lots of split ends, and the straightening lasts days.

chrome100 Thu 04-Dec-14 15:54:28

I always buy GHDs from ebay - there are some bargains if you keep your eyes peeled. But agree, they don't seem to get as hot as they used to and most of mine have broken due to the same fault, which is a connection coming loose at the base. But for a tenner a pair they last a good year or so and I have several pairs in different places so worth it I think.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Thu 04-Dec-14 15:56:45

I believe the designers of the original GHDs now make Cloud nines (I could be wrong here...)

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Thu 04-Dec-14 16:23:45

Ebay is a good option. £50 for some GHDs. Problem is that I have a night out tomorrow night so need them tomorrow.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 04-Dec-14 17:13:21

I have never found anything which works as well as my ghds. My hairdressers use them too, which makes me think they are pretty good, and I haven't had split ends with them either.

gingerbreadmam Thu 04-Dec-14 17:24:40

my mam got some new blue ghds this year they are terrible. they stick to her hair all the time creating 'lines' i wouldnt get them again.

i bought some i think theyre called hot diamonds quite glam can get them on ebay / amazon. they were about 40 and are better than the crap ghds my mam owns now. might be worth a try, will keep you going for now if nothing else

gingerbreadmam Thu 04-Dec-14 17:27:47

oops theyre actually ice diamond

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0069UDP0W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417713965&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

id be careful buying ghds online, i bought some once from an official looking website they looked real when they came but i couldnt register them. they were fake. they worked ok but i never dared used them incase of dodgey electrics so complete waste of money.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Thu 04-Dec-14 18:32:34

I've just gotten some GHD eclipses and yes they're good, but much the same as my 8 year old ones, am tempted to send my sister the eclipses and keep the older ones which still work just fine

Petal02 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:40:09

I've got a cheaply set of ceramic straighteners by Babyliss, and they're great. However my hair is pretty straight naturally, so my straighteners don't have to work too hard.

MeMyselfAnd1 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:42:28

I'm in my second pair of GHDs. The first pair was much much better (or it may be that my hair is thinning with age and therefore not as likely to stay straight in wet weather). The first pair was working brilliant for 3-4 but was broken by luggage handlers during the trip. I have had my second pair for 7 years and I use it mostly everyday, they don't heat up as much as when they were new or the previous ones but I'm sticking with GHDs because they are the only ones that despite the very regular use, do not cause split ends.

If you are going to buy them from the internet, keep your eyes open as many of them are fakes. And do not buy second hand ones (of any brand) as most often than not they are for sale because the owner is getting a new pair to replace the ones that are no longer getting as hot as they should.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Fri 05-Dec-14 10:12:47

ive just paid �40 for some Nicky Clarke wide played ceramic straighteners that were half price. Hopefully they will last a year or so. I really needed them today due to a night out tonight.

cocobongo Fri 05-Dec-14 10:21:00

What's actually wrong with them? When mine broke, all that I needed to do was replace the plug and they are still going a few years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now