Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I just want a comfortable bra. Is it an impossible wish?

(20 Posts)
octopal Tue 02-Dec-14 17:28:37

First issue - I live in the middle of nowhere so shopping is extremely limited. I do most things online. I have been struggling for ages to get some new comfortable bras. Also not in UK so no Bravissimo.

I used to wear a 40 DD/E but I followed some of the intervention threads and decided I am closer to a 38F.

I had a brief opportunity to shop recently and since I thought I knew my size I tried M&S. I used to buy bras from there years ago and though they were ok. They couldn't have been less helpful and I could find a single bra I was happy with.

My other option was Debenhams and I must say the assistant who dealt with me was very helpful and really tried. I was there ages and she gave me loads of options and eventually I bought a Fantasie bra in a 36FF.

I was under pressure for time and bought it as a last resort rather than because I was 100%.

I've worn it a couple of times and it is not comfortable or particularly flattering. It is only a 2 hook closure and the straps are thin and I have backache wearing it.

I'm short and size 18 on top. I measured 38 inches under but some of old 38s got a bit loose after wear. I can't remember my over bust measurement but I think it was 45. I tried the leaning measurement but without a bra my bust is very soft and if I was to lean and measure the measurement would be huge but I have lost a lot of volume so I think the cup measurement would be too big.

I'm going to order lots online for a fitting.
I don't even know where to begin.

I think the main thing I need is side support.

Could anyone help me?

TheSpottedZebra Tue 02-Dec-14 18:46:18

Right, go and find a measuring tape, and repost your confirmed measurements.

Then, er, one of the bra gurus will be along soon, am sure!

surprise Tue 02-Dec-14 18:59:11

Can't help with sizing, but I took a bra back after wearing it (uncomfortably) a couple of times and they were happy to refund me. So at least try to get your money back.

octopal Tue 02-Dec-14 20:22:52

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and locate a tape measure and try again.

Surprise, I'd love to get my money back but didn't think it was something I could return so didn't keep the receipt.

The thin 2 hook fastening seems to be a big problem so I'll know to avoid in future.

SorrelForbes Tue 02-Dec-14 20:35:18

I'll loiter until you post your measurements!

octopal Tue 02-Dec-14 20:44:30

Thanks Sorrel. Back 37 inches, over bust 45. I can't get my head round the leaning measurement. Is it bra less and how far to lean?

blodynmawr Tue 02-Dec-14 20:46:22

Octopal
I'm a 38G, short waisted and find Elomi Caitlyn bras are great as I like a full cup and they hoik up the boobage sufficiently to give at least an illusion of a waist.
Pricey but worth it for the fit and comfort. I buy them online, from Debenhams or Figleaves, when there are discounts/codes around.
Brastop sometimes good for Elomi bras too, and also some Curvy Kate styles which is another good brand for me.
HTH smile

Wassailywassailywassaily Tue 02-Dec-14 20:48:35

I was just about to post exactly the same thing, only with different measurements obviously.

I cannot find a bra that fits and is comfortable. I have been measured in JL and the lady insisted that I was 34EE but every single bra I try in that size is excruciatingly tight under the bust with underwire that digs into my armpits ( I have a physical job that requires me to move around a lot). So I have tried going up to 36E but in this size the bloody straps just slip off my shoulders.

My skin is ridiculously sensitive, my shoulders must be rounded and my boobs are the size of udders sad

Anyway sorry for the hijack, when you find the perfect bra please let me know!

DixieNormas Tue 02-Dec-14 20:52:30

I measured myself last week 37 back 47 boob which I think was a 37 H

I'm going to hang about to find a good place to buy a bra too

marriednotdead Tue 02-Dec-14 21:14:35

Which Fantasie style did you buy and what is 'wrong' with it?
If you don't know the name of it, you can google the code printed on the label and find out that way.

Elomi are made by the same people that make Fantasie and Freya, they just have different target markets.

Am speculating about several of you struggling here, and suspect that many of the issues are that the bra does not spread wide enough under the arm to comfortably enclosesll of the breast tissue that many people think is fat.

I may not be back tonight but will check when I get a chance tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm sure Sorrel will competently hold the fort grin

marriednotdead Tue 02-Dec-14 21:15:56

And if I hurry up and send my SS, the bloody icon will stop blocking my view so I can see what I'm writing <sigh>

Wassailywassailywassaily Tue 02-Dec-14 21:25:13

married that is what the lady in JL said about the breast tissue/fat but I find the cup going all the way into my armpit really painful.

octopal Tue 02-Dec-14 21:34:48

It is the Lois bra by Fantasie. Lovely bra but two main issues. I think the band is too narrow for me and the front wires aren't sitting perfectly but sort of being pushed together.

I do like the side support and the wires don't go up too high under the arms like some I've tried.

I have a Panache bra and it's agony to wear as the wires come up way too high.

Thanks for trying to help.

octopal Tue 02-Dec-14 21:37:27

Thanks bloody. I like the look of that Elomi one. I had an Elomi once that I quite liked but now realise I was wearing the band way too big.

octopal Tue 02-Dec-14 23:06:16

Sorry, that last reply was to blodynmawr.

DramaAlpaca Tue 02-Dec-14 23:20:11

I don't know if it helps, octopal, but I'm about a 36E and this bra by Debenhams is a really good fit on me:

www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_150010538686_-1

I think it's a two hook fastening, but it is super comfortable and gives plenty of side support. I have dozens of bras and this is the best for comfort.

SorrelForbes Wed 03-Dec-14 07:40:49

Sorry OP and Married, I forgot to loiter!

Panache bras, on the whole, tend to come up quite high under the arm. Their sister brand Cleo, have some styles which don't come up so high (e.g. Juna).

If the front centre part of the bra isn't sitting flat then you may need a bigger cup. How does the bra band feel if you try it back to front?

octopal Wed 03-Dec-14 09:57:34

Thanks. At work now so will try on the new bra this evening and report back.

SloaneRaver Sun 11-Jan-15 08:31:24

Loitering because I have a similar problem at 36e

carlywurly Sun 11-Jan-15 08:43:01

I'm 34 e and the best ones I've found for me are the rosie for autograph ones at m&s. They're about £25 each and look nice but are also really comfortable.

I buy 3 or 4 a year in different colours and wear them on rotation until they fall apart.

I recently bought another type to try and lasted a day - so uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now