Talk

Advanced search

Any vintage experts out there?

(8 Posts)
Hakluyt Tue 02-Dec-14 15:28:28

Dd needs a dress for a fundraising bash-WW1 themed. I found this dress in a charity shop- it's gorgeous. Midnight blue silk with net underskirts, mid calf legnth.

Would it be wildly out of place? She's not bothered about being absolutely authentic- just a nod to the era would be fine. I suspect looking amazing is higher up her list of priorities, and she would, in this! What do you think? They're holding it for me until tomorrow morning- but she's gone to stay with a friend somewhere and left her phone behind so I can't ask her........

lynniep Tue 02-Dec-14 15:35:24

Its not really WW1 - more WW2, but its very nice. Elegant and understated.

lynniep Tue 02-Dec-14 15:36:32

I just picked a year randomly, but this is more WW1 stuff

traviata Tue 02-Dec-14 15:49:17

i think it is gorgeous. In my limited experience, people are not usually very hot on total authenticity when it comes to dressing up in period costume. Provided that her get-up looks "vintage" or "period", it will be fine.

I'd get it, it's beautiful. Long gloves always look convincing, I think, and she must have something on her head - maybe a feather headband or something.

Hakluyt Tue 02-Dec-14 16:04:33

That's what I thought, traviata!

I think I'll get it. If dd doesn't wear it for this, she'll wear it for something. I know it will suit her -I have a very good record of finding her fab stuff in charity shops!

Hakluyt Tue 02-Dec-14 16:08:04

And it rustles!
Hmm- thank you lyn. That persuades me more- I don't think authentic 1915 would be a good look for her- she's slim but hourglassy. She has a 1950s figure rather than a 1920s one!

nobutreally Tue 02-Dec-14 16:15:01

Fab dress! Agree with others - it's 40s/50s rather than WW1, but as long as she goes with clearly retro hair and make-up, I can't see anyone turning her away at the door smile

I think 40s/50s stuff is much more realistic/what most people will wear, as it's so current - 19-teens is less popular as a look at the mo.

NB Youtube is predictably brilliant for hair and makeup tutorials for this kind of thing. Alternatively, I've found real 'old ladies' hairdressers will do a good shampoo and set very cheaply in a retro style if you take photos of what you are aiming for.

TenuousGrip Tue 02-Dec-14 18:38:42

I'd buy it and make it more WW1 with hair/accessories, lots of ideas on here - www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=1910%20hair&term_meta%5B%5D=1910%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=hair%7Ctyped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now