Talk

Advanced search

If you were a tall apple shape with thick calves...

(11 Posts)
rallytog1 Tue 02-Dec-14 15:15:17

What on earth would you wear?

I'm 5ft 8, size 14-16 trousers, size 16-18 on top, and really struggling to find anything that fits well and flatters at the moment. I like bootleg and flare jeans, but anything other than a very high waist gives me a muffin top. Can't wear skinnies because of my calves. I love short a-line skirts but I have very muscular calves that I feel self-conscious about. I like empire line tops but they make me look like I'm cut in half on top and accentuate my giant rib cage.

Bits of me that I'm not too self-conscious about are my ankles (only skinny bit of me), my bum/hips and my bust (reasonably large).

I feel like I'm living in unflattering baggy jumpers and jeans, and am losing all confidence in my ability to make decisions about what suits me. However I know there must be a wise MNer who knows just the thing... Anyone?

shushpenfold Tue 02-Dec-14 15:17:56

You definitely need to invest in a pair of knee length boots....or several. These can be worn with 'skinny' jeans, knee length skirts, leggings and shaped long jumpers (not tight)

rallytog1 Tue 02-Dec-14 15:19:44

Should have said - I can't find knee length boots that fit my calves anywhere! Would love some though...

shushpenfold Tue 02-Dec-14 16:46:30

Hi Rally - where have you tried? SimplyBe, Marisota and and Clarks all have wide fit boots and if not there, just google wide fit for the slightly more expensive end!

MistressDeeCee Tue 02-Dec-14 21:31:56

Fashion World, JD Williams are good for fashionable wide fit boots with different calf sizes. I also have the muffin top in jeans problem and am currently obsessed with finding good highwaisted jeans so I'll be watching thread for ideas ...

naturalbaby Tue 02-Dec-14 21:35:39

Oh yes, me too. My calves drive me mad, I'd love to wear skinny jeans or even straight leg jeans but can't find any to fit over my calves.
I'm after ankle boots but can't find any trousers that would go with them and over my calves.

rallytog1 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:56:48

The problem is that most wide calf boots are also made for wide feet and thick ankles. I've got narrow feet and skinny ankles, so long boots that fit my calves are always loose and baggy lower down.

Glad I'm not the only one though! Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person in the world who can't wear skinny jeans or nice boots. Maybe I will start a clothing company for awkwardly proportioned ladies...

WildBillfemale Wed 03-Dec-14 06:59:42

Sorry to disappoint you OP, you're not that unique! try the shoe tailor or Duo for boots.
I often wonder of these posts are for market researchers to see if a particular brand is foremost in peoples minds.............

rallytog1 Wed 03-Dec-14 07:34:51

Definitely not a market researcher. My op asked about all clothes, not boots and I was looking for ideas not particular brands, so I promise you I am real (and desperate!)

Thisisthelasttime Wed 03-Dec-14 07:52:48

I feel your pain. I am very similar to you but add in the wide ankles and wide feet and knock an inch off. I bought knee lenght boots with extra wide calf last year and I team with marks n s jeggings , long t shirt and waterfall cardis . For work I wear wrap or tunic dresses , thick tights and boots or trousers , top and again a cardi. Generally wear trousers with shoes. It's not easy. I would love to wear skinny jeans with the high wedge ankle boots but sadly it won't happen

burnishedsilver Wed 03-Dec-14 09:59:05

Are you sure you're an apple? Most apples have skinny legs (which only serves to make the tummy look bigger). Also you're bigger on top than on the bottom. If you were an apple I'd expect you to need a bigger waistband. Someone on here mentioned Dressipi a few weeks ago. There is a questionnaire to determine your body shape and there are clothes suggestions. It might be worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now